Marine diatoms

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Pat Thielen

Marine diatoms

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:47 pm

These are marine diatoms I photographed from a slide I bought from Triarch Inc. Ripon, WI. I used brightfield and a ten-image stack for this one. I'm not sure what the distance was between stacks -- either one or two microns (I think I changed the focus while I was viewing them as opposed to simply moving the fine focus control). As usual, let me know what you think. I really do value everyone's suggestions and tips on how to improve my technique.

:D
Attachments
Marine Diatoms, 10 .25 plan objective, x10, brightfield, ten image stack, Nikon d810, from a slide purchased from Triarch Inc. Ripon, WI. processed using Photoshop CC.
Marine Diatoms, 10 .25 plan objective, x10, brightfield, ten image stack, Nikon d810, from a slide purchased from Triarch Inc. Ripon, WI. processed using Photoshop CC.
micro0013788_10-image_stack.jpg (198.16 KiB) Viewed 4080 times
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

zzffnn

Re: Marine diatoms

#2 Post by zzffnn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:14 pm

Very nice, Pat! I like the composition too.

You may want to open up the condenser iris a little more and set up Kohler illumination. Stacking will increase depth, so you don't need to close down too much.

How much does that slide cost, from Triarch, Inc? Thanks.

rnabholz

#3 Post by rnabholz » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Some neat forms in that mix!

Very good Pat. Thanks for posting it.

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Gorgeous! Incredibly the image sort of flits between photo and drawing images for that blue/purple pennate frustule...odd effect to my eyes...great,Pat.

charlie guevara

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:15 pm

Very nice!
Middle diatom looks pretty interesting - would be nice to see it in more detail.
I'm not sure what the distance was between stacks -- either one or two microns (I think I changed the focus while I was viewing them as opposed to simply moving the fine focus control).
I find that it is best when each image has a visibly different focus point, however as very small steps even if visible to the eye are not always apparent in the photograph, it is sometimes better to take slightly larger steps.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

rabitt

#6 Post by rabitt » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:10 pm

Hi Pat, great photo. I think their slides are well worth the money.

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:14 am

Very nicely done Pat - a lovely image and an impressive slide too!
I couldn't agree more with what 75' advised above re focus-planes when stacking.
Through many hours of trial and error I too find selection of definite focus-levels of not too high a number is far better than the somewhat mechanical - fine focus 2µ - image - fine focus 2µ -image method - not only does much detail disappear, it was never possible to include it all anyway and avoid a rather 'muddy' stack.

You've made a great job of imaging those tiny treasures... :D :D :)
John B

Pat Thielen

#8 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:37 am

zzffnn wrote:Very nice, Pat! I like the composition too.

You may want to open up the condenser iris a little more and set up Kohler illumination. Stacking will increase depth, so you don't need to close down too much.

How much does that slide cost, from Triarch, Inc? Thanks.
I agree -- I need to re-calibrate the Kohler. I did have it set up once before but I think it got slightly out of line. I'll do that before my next foray into the microscopic world (a couple others have mentioned this as well). One of these days I'll get over my procrastination. Maybe tomorrow. :)

If I remember right, the slide wasn't too expensive -- Around $6.00. Their slides range in price depending on the subject, but I would say their prices are quite good and so far the quality has been quite good as well. I'm still looking for slides of pathogens of various ilks; those seem to be a bit more elusive. There is a company in Germany (I forget the name) that sells many different slides at different price points. They are a bit more expensive than the ones I bought from Triarch, but I seriously doubt quality slides would be found on the cheap. And one of these days I'm going to buy some from John -- His look absolutely amazing. At any rate, I would suggest checking out the Triarch website and see if anything might interest you there.
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#9 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:37 am

rabitt wrote:Hi Pat, great photo. I think their slides are well worth the money.

Thanks for letting us know about them -- I wouldn't have been aware of Triarch if you hadn't posted their info.

:)
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#10 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:42 am

mrsonchus wrote:Very nicely done Pat - a lovely image and an impressive slide too!
I couldn't agree more with what 75' advised above re focus-planes when stacking.
Through many hours of trial and error I too find selection of definite focus-levels of not too high a number is far better than the somewhat mechanical - fine focus 2µ - image - fine focus 2µ -image method - not only does much detail disappear, it was never possible to include it all anyway and avoid a rather 'muddy' stack.

You've made a great job of imaging those tiny treasures... :D :D :)

Thanks John -- I really appreciate your very positive comment! My aim is to improve my photography skills. I was very surprised at how different photomicrography is from more "normal" photography. I've been doing photography more or less seriously since '95 or so, including macrophotography. With the microscope I've discovered a rather steep learning curve and I'm still climbing it now. But the more I do the better I should get (in theory) and this forum has been of really great help.

Hopefully this week I'll take another shot at the diatoms and with any luck have an even better image to post.

:)
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#11 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:55 am

75RR wrote:Very nice!
Middle diatom looks pretty interesting - would be nice to see it in more detail.
I'm not sure what the distance was between stacks -- either one or two microns (I think I changed the focus while I was viewing them as opposed to simply moving the fine focus control).
I find that it is best when each image has a visibly different focus point, however as very small steps even if visible to the eye are not always apparent in the photograph, it is sometimes better to take slightly larger steps.

Thanks! For this image I didn't focus in arbitrary n-micron units but tried to refocus with something else in focus. It was my assumption that if you focus with distance in mind, rather than focus in mind, you may be stopping and taking a photo with nothing in focus and end up with a rather blurry stacked image. So, I think going forward I'll be doing it in this way. Still, much to learn!
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#12 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:56 am

charlie g wrote:Gorgeous! Incredibly the image sort of flits between photo and drawing images for that blue/purple pennate frustule...odd effect to my eyes...great,Pat.

charlie guevara

Thanks Charlie! :)
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

zzffnn

#13 Post by zzffnn » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:06 am

Pat Thielen wrote:There is a company in Germany (I forget the name) that sells many different slides at different price points. They are a bit more expensive than the ones I bought from Triarch, but I seriously doubt quality slides would be found on the cheap.
I am guessing you meant http://www.lieder.de/en.html#top
If you do buy from them, please post impression and/or photos. Thank you!

Pat Thielen

#14 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:16 am

zzffnn wrote:
Pat Thielen wrote:There is a company in Germany (I forget the name) that sells many different slides at different price points. They are a bit more expensive than the ones I bought from Triarch, but I seriously doubt quality slides would be found on the cheap.
I am guessing you meant http://www.lieder.de/en.html#top
If you do buy from them, please post impression and/or photos. Thank you!

That's who I was thinking of -- Thanks!
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810