looking for a better camera

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
njitgrad

looking for a better camera

#1 Post by njitgrad » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:05 am

A few weeks ago I purchased an AmScope MU-500 camera to use on my son's AmScope SM-2T Stereo Microscope and I was very disappointed in the quality of the images considering the cost of the camera. The focusing was awful and the software was very limited so I ended up returning the camera.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good camera that's worth the price tag? I noticed Olympus makes a DP74 but I don't see any online retailers so I don't even know the price.

The other option I am considering is purchasing an adapter for my Canon 5D DSLR that would allow me to insert the body into the trinocular port. Does anyone have experience with this method? My plan is to use the EOS Utility PC application to control the camera settings (shutter speed, ISO) and take snapshots.

oakleywerks

Re: looking for a better camera

#2 Post by oakleywerks » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Since you got no responses... I'll offer this. I'm not expert, but am looking into much that same thing: using a Canon dslr. Try google searches starting with microbehunter or photomacrography then add your other search words. Try adding "how to connect..." or words like afocal, projection lens ... soon you will have more information than you'd ever thought possible and it may be confusing. At least it will get you primed for asking questions here. In my case, I'm shopping for a microscope and hoping to use a Canon with liveview capability to tether to a pc or connect to a monitor directly. There is one interesting thread I'll provide to get you started viewtopic.php?t=3039
Cheers
Lytkarino MBS-9 [ST-100]
http://lzos.ru/en/index.php?page=shop.p ... t&Itemid=2

AO 20 trinoc, 100W, infinity plan achro 4-100x

billben74

#3 Post by billben74 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 pm

The canon EOS range are, for many, the camera of course.
They have the electronic first shutter curtain feature which means from Live View (you are operating the camera using a computer via the comes with the camera canon eos software) the mirror does not move until after the image is taken

see for more details

http://www.krebsmicro.com/Canon_EFSC/

I have a canon 1200d (rebel something or other in usa) and I have been very happy with it overall.
Some people (mrsonchus for example) has had more trouble with this camera when taking brightfiled stained sections photos.
He (sorry John for speaking for you ;) finds the colour balancing using the canon poor.
But whilst I could make some minor gripes over some things (actually for me I would like better performance in low light levels) its pretty amazing camera for its price.
Its not full frame and this is a disadvantage so if you can afford it perhaps the model you mention is better still.

Charles Krebs (the famous microscope artist who sometimes post his wonders on this forum) uses a canon 1100D (the older version of mine) and he came second in the video section if the nikon small world competition -> so you can definatly do professional work with it!

Hope this helps

JimT

#4 Post by JimT » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 pm

By all means go with the Canon. Amscope sells adapters to connect Canons to the scope and with the EOS utility you can see what you are going to photo and avoid mirror vibration. Make sure the one you get and the trinocular tube can support a full frame camera.

Let us know what you decide.

JimT

kinase

#5 Post by kinase » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:52 pm

I think using SLR's is a good choice. Mirrorless cameras would be better probably, I know someone who uses a Sony Alpha as a microscope camera it's it's really nice. For bright light, I think regular photographic cameras are better than dedicated microscope cameras.