Algae with very long flagella

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
kinase

Algae with very long flagella

#1 Post by kinase » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:06 am

Apparently they are, in fact, pseudoflagella.
The ones with the scale bars were from the same microscope, an Olympus IX73, both dry objectives. The other is from a Zeiss with an oil 40x. Both use the same camera. They're usually that blue green color but that first one was a bit of a different color. Might have been differences in the DIC systems or objectives or white balance and whatnot.

75RR

Re: Algae with very long flagella

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Nice images and interesting beastie, if beastie it is
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Beautiful images,kinase. Is the last image a 'stack' of images...or did all the tendrils just happen to lie in near same focal plane? Where was this algae sampled from (the adjacent areas seem so clear of debris)?

For your images here..what brand/ what spec coverslips do you use? thanks for these posts,kinase!

charlie guevara

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Very nice!

kinase

#5 Post by kinase » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:30 am

charlie g wrote:Beautiful images,kinase. Is the last image a 'stack' of images...or did all the tendrils just happen to lie in near same focal plane? Where was this algae sampled from (the adjacent areas seem so clear of debris)?

For your images here..what brand/ what spec coverslips do you use? thanks for these posts,kinase!

charlie guevara
The last one is not a stack, I just got lucky that everything was in the sample plane. The coverslips are these in the No.1 thickness for some reason. Though I suspect that the objective is probably calibrated for No.1.5 but it might not be since it was special order. Actually the sample was between two coverslips with the condenser oiled to the top slip and the lens to the bottom. Lastly these came from a culture collection, it's a pure culture, hence the cleanliness. I guess I also got lucky in that there's no dust or anything in this part of the frame.

In case anyone was curious, I'm not doing this at my house. The place I work has a large collection of microorganisms. And fun microscopes. I think I'll get these under TEM/SEM in the comping month.

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:08 am

Thanks kinase for these enchanting forum shared encounters...bravo to your spice of a variety of stands to beguile us with!

charlie guevara..who used to ponder taking a SEM course for specific microscopy pursuits..it may be more available due our internet family of microscopy..soon?!

JimT

#7 Post by JimT » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:11 pm

kinase, one and three are beautiful images.

Can't imagine wanting a SEM when one can do such great images with light.

JimT