A small unidentified ciliate

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Pat Thielen

A small unidentified ciliate

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Wed May 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Hello! I took a video of this little guy on May 3rd but it's taken me awhile to get to any of the videos I shot. I don't know what this protist is; I found it very interesting that he isn't doing much of anything -- Just turning clock-wise very slowly. I did find his beating cilia very interesting, though.

As always, let me know what you think.

Plan 40 / 0.65, Bright Field, Nikon d810, Adobe Premier
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

Re: A small unidentified ciliate

#2 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 am

I wonder if he somehow became stuck on the cover glass.
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Thu May 18, 2017 1:29 am

Nice video, Pat.

I wonder if that ciliate is paramecium bursaria.

Compressing ciliates slightly with cover slip may not he a bad thing, as that would give you minimal water gap and better image quality. Of course, the drawback is that their behavior may not be as natural - some ciliates move too fast to be recorded though, when there is no compression.

Bruce Taylor

#4 Post by Bruce Taylor » Thu May 18, 2017 10:59 am

No, not Paramecium bursaria. It's a hypotrich (frontal cirri and parts of the AZM are visible). Identification below subclass level is not possible, because we don't see the arrangement of cirri on the ventral surface.

When you get a ciliate pinned down like this, look at it closely at different focal planes and try to record 1) the mouth and cytopharynx, 2) the macronuclei (a two-part mac is visible here), and 3) all cirri or cilia, particularly on the ventral surface. If you can get a clear view of these things, there is a hope of a genus or species-level identification (but no guarantee...some ciliates, particularly hypotrichous ones, will require silver staining, or examination of special features like cortical granules).

Of course, a few ciliates can be identified at a glance by distinctive characters (shape, cortical pigments, etc), but there are at least 4,000 described species (and perhaps three times as many that are still unnamed), and telling them apart is not so easy. ;)

Pat Thielen

#5 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 am

Bruce Taylor wrote:No, not Paramecium bursaria. It's a hypotrich (frontal cirri and parts of the AZM are visible). Identification below subclass level is not possible, because we don't see the arrangement of cirri on the ventral surface.

When you get a ciliate pinned down like this, look at it closely at different focal planes and try to record 1) the mouth and cytopharynx, 2) the macronuclei (a two-part mac is visible here), and 3) all cirri or cilia, particularly on the ventral surface. If you can get a clear view of these things, there is a hope of a genus or species-level identification (but no guarantee...some ciliates, particularly hypotrichous ones, will require silver staining, or examination of special features like cortical granules).

Of course, a few ciliates can be identified at a glance by distinctive characters (shape, cortical pigments, etc), but there are at least 4,000 described species (and perhaps three times as many that are still unnamed), and telling them apart is not so easy. ;)

Thanks Bruce -- I really appreciate your help in getting as close to an ID as possible with this guy. It is rather surprising that it was pinned down as other animals, larger than this one, were moving about quite freely. But yeah, somehow I think this one managed to get stuck to the cover glass somehow.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Bruce Taylor

#6 Post by Bruce Taylor » Thu May 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Pat Thielen wrote:It is rather surprising that it was pinned down as other animals, larger than this one, were moving about quite freely. But yeah, somehow I think this one managed to get stuck to the cover glass somehow.
It looks somewhat bloated and is probably immobile because it is dying. Anyway, this offers an opportunity to look closely at features like the cirri, by "focus diving" through the organism. Having examined a sick one closely, you can then search your sample for other specimens, to see how they look when they are fit and frisky. :D

billben74

#7 Post by billben74 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Really interesting video.
Many thanks