Shandon Sledge Microtome - the Arrival!

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
mrsonchus

Shandon Sledge Microtome - the Arrival!

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Wed May 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi all, well, today upon returning from shopping, we were confronted by a large and extremely heavy (39kg as it turns out) box on our door-step - yes, it had arrived! I gave the box a little shove just to move it out of our way a little - nothing happened - just a slight creak from the box's corner! :shock:
This was when my Darling Wife, standing next to me said, "you'll need the trolley for that monster..."... She was, as is often the case, correct... :D :D

Here's the moment I first saw the behemoth that is - 'The Mighty Sledge',
sledge-microtome-arrival-da.jpg
sledge-microtome-arrival-da.jpg (37.42 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
There's more...
box-opened.jpg
box-opened.jpg (39.83 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
and
on-the-trolley.jpg
on-the-trolley.jpg (84.12 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
Onto the right-hand end of my main desk (the left-hand end is occupied by 'The Mighty Shandon' - hopefully they won't fight :D ) - it actually fits rather nicely - it's quite a large and very sturdy desk. I'm getting all excited, but need to go for the 'school-run' unfortunately, so I'll be back soon with a proper look at the beauty - can't wait! :D :D
sledge-on-bench-first-time.jpg
sledge-on-bench-first-time.jpg (62.48 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
Back ASAP - sorry to leave this hanging, but must pick our Grandson up from school.... :)

JB :)
John B

mrsonchus

Re: Shandon Sledge Microtome - the Arrival!

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Wed May 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Haha! School-run is done!

Some details of the new 'base sledge microtome' as I think it is correctly known, I think, from what I've gleaned online. The 'sliding microtome' term refers to those with a blade that moves, rather than the specimen, as in this beauty and indeed the rotary Shandon at the other end of the desk.

It came with 2 adapters that allow it to use disposable low-profile blades, the same as I use in the rotary 'tome. These are the same, one is labelled 'Tissue Tech III', the other 'Feather'. One is brand-new and unused the other used and in perfect condition. The new one included a full pack of (50) 'S35' blades, the used included half a pack - about 30 blades! :D :D
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (26).jpg
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (26).jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
Also included are two wax-block cassette (quick-release) holders, again these will also fit the rotary. One is the std size (which I already have and use on the rotary) and the other is the extra-large 'mega-cassette' holder. I also have a 'clamp' type holder that I removed from a 'for spares' purchase I made of an incomplete 'tome' a while ago now (£15 - a bargain). The clamping holder allows just about anything to be held in the 'tome's grip - wood-blocks with wax-blocks mounted upon them ala the 'old fashioned way' and also used in for example a 'rocking microtome' - great versatility for the sledge as this is able to cut softened wood - held maybe in this clamp-chuck....

Here are the three options I now have available to me,
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (1).jpg
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (1).jpg (199.54 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
Here's the sledge with the adapter fitted, no blade in yet though....
sledge-blade-holder-in-plac.jpg
sledge-blade-holder-in-plac.jpg (129.68 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
A comparison of the horizontal block position of the sledge microtome to the vertical block position of the rotary microtome....
The sledge,
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (34).jpg
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (34).jpg (52.46 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
The rotary,
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (35).jpg
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (35).jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 6246 times
I'm to say the least looking forward to using the sledge, and to comparing the use and performance of the two microtome versions, not to mention the sectioning of large hard tissue such as wood! It'll take me a while to get to grips with the sledge, but an article featuring the two may be interesting from the practical, in-use perspective of these two mighty Shandons!

Very short of time today, sorry to be so brief, back soon with a close look at the setup, adjustment, use and performance of the newcomer.... Such fun to be had! :D :D :)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Wed May 24, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Wed May 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Congratulations - that at 39kg is a bonafide monster!
Did you manage to get a manual for it?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Johann

#4 Post by Johann » Wed May 24, 2017 5:34 pm

That looks serious :) Looking forward to see the results!
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Wed May 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi 75' - yes, I think the 'tome bare is 33kg at least! I haven't yet found a manual but it's straight-forward enough I think (hope....). The blade angle is easily set via the guage on one (inner) side of the 'arms' and locked with the second of the two thumb-screws on the same side (only one is found on the other side).

The advance is 'semi-automatic' in that at the end of each backstroke (that is, with the specimen brought back towards the user) a simple part-turn (about 10 degrees) with a spring-loaded action back, of the large knob by which the sledge is pushed/pulled along the rails, advances (raises) the specimen by the amount set in µ on the small rotary guage. The coarse advance (for roughing and height retraction back to start after full travel range has been reached) is the 'medium sized' knob/wheel with the little crank on it. All simple enough if you've used a rotary 'tome it seems at least.

It has a beautifully smooth action as far as I can tell at this time, with a history of annual professional services too. the rails are even lightly oiled and running silky-smooth. All looks good so far.

I can't wait to give it a run and put together some pictures and video of the two types, i.e. the rotary and the sledge....

Interesting times ahead. Meanwhile I'm tinkering with the protocol used for the Dandelion pedicel sectioning and have had considerable success in the 'fine tuning' of the process and am know sectioning some very nicely preserved sections - very nice tissue integrity and similarity to the living cell conditions - barely any shrinkage now at all.

A very busy time in the 'lab' at the moment.

I've also just had a fresh batch of chemicals and some more cassettes, moulds and specimen jars delivered - gearing up for some serious protocol and technique honing!

Thanks for looking 75' - back with more info soon. Some video of the beast in action would be nice I think! :D :D :)
John B

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Wed May 24, 2017 6:37 pm

So joyful that box on your doorstep, congrats John B. ! I love the way approx: 86 lbs is packed in cardboard...and carrige on your side of pond left no 'dents or rips in the outter box'...not the situation here where...well never mind.

My minds eye sees entire flowers and support structures sectioned at 5 microns...and the glass plates these botanical splendors are mounted on...well what precious objects for study and entoto enjoyment.

a wonderful instrument you now may apply to tissues, tissue developement, tissue reactions...yes, yes, Mr.Sonchas!

charlie guevara

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Wed May 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Charlie - yes! I'm very excited by this new member of the team! I've had a little play-around with it (just had time before the EUEFA cup final (soccer) started this evening)...

I tried it out with an old block of extremely hard stem-tissue (due I suspect to my poor processing when cast) that I trialed with re-embedding into a wax mixture 50% histological wax with all the additives etc mixed with 50% good-old yellow hard candle wax, just to see what would happen - anyway, that's another story!

So, quickly into the std quick-release chuck, chuck onto 'tome, used roughing-blade into the adapter, adapter into 'tome's clamps, section thickness set at 12µ and blade angle at a quite shallow 20 deg and tally-ho! :D :D :D :D
ws_disp blade adapter.jpg
ws_disp blade adapter.jpg (146.9 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
This beauty is soooo simple, quick and easy to use! Beautiful and surprisingly light action and a clear willingness to give nice, low-compression sections that, with a little 'wind-power' from the operative, flow neatly up onto the knife-back/clamp for retrieval on the usual fine camel-hair brush...

Behold - the first EVER sections from the 'Mighty Sledge'.....
ws_sledge first sections 12micron.jpg
ws_sledge first sections 12micron.jpg (138.81 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
I think I'm going to enjoy this adventure! To use the two together will be a sheer luxury I think!

Must dash, footie's on the TV! :D :D :D
John B

Crater Eddie

#8 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed May 24, 2017 8:59 pm

While reading through this I kept thinking to myself "Must ask John for a video", then you mentioned that very thing yourself. I'm going to hold you to that.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Wed May 24, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi John B.,

WOW!!.. This is very interesting!... Your explanations and photos are SO complete!... It reads like a very fine engrossing detective novel.. A person can't wait to read the next chapter!..

The Best,
BillT

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Wed May 24, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks for your interest fellows all, here are a few tissue-blocks from my stock to have a practice with, tomorrow hopefully I'll be able to cut some 'proper' sections and maybe some video to show the setup and use in action.

Look at these lovelies, ready to section!
These are from a trial of my very latest and hopefully gentlest protocol, should be interesting but these may section better on the rotary I suspect,
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (31).jpg
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (31).jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
Some 'std protocol' blocks should suit both 'tomes, we'll soon see!
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (30).jpg
ws_sledge microtome arrival day (30).jpg (47.61 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
Back soon with some real work! :D :)
John B

JimT

#11 Post by JimT » Wed May 24, 2017 10:08 pm

John. like everyone else I can't wait.

But, "Onto the right-hand end of my main desk". Must be a very solid desk.

JimT

mrsonchus

#12 Post by mrsonchus » Wed May 24, 2017 10:18 pm

Haha Jim! Yes my friend - it's a really sturdy fellow with box-steel frame and legs - plus I reinforced it with several vertical 50mm-square 'extra legs' as it were!

Hmmm, I hope the floor's OK.... :shock: :D :)
John B

hkv

#13 Post by hkv » Thu May 25, 2017 8:46 am

Very nice machine! Seems to be in great shape and I am sure it will produce wonderful sections for us to enjoy at this forum.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

rabitt

#14 Post by rabitt » Thu May 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Sounds like you are well into the joy of using your new monster. We here in the Tri lakes / Twin Lakes area of the Missouri Ozarks would call it a Boat Anchor vs Monster.

mrsonchus

#15 Post by mrsonchus » Thu May 25, 2017 1:31 pm

rabitt wrote:Sounds like you are well into the joy of using your new monster. We here in the Tri lakes / Twin Lakes area of the Missouri Ozarks would call it a Boat Anchor vs Monster.
Haha! I like it! It would sure slow the boat down!

John B :D :D :D :)
John B

mrsonchus

#16 Post by mrsonchus » Thu May 25, 2017 1:33 pm

hkv wrote:Very nice machine! Seems to be in great shape and I am sure it will produce wonderful sections for us to enjoy at this forum.
Yes my friend, interesting times are coming - I forsee a 'Shandon Shoot-out' on the horizon! :D :D :)
John B

vasselle

#17 Post by vasselle » Thu May 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Bonjour.
Très belle machine.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D