Homalozoon ciliate and its attack on rotifer

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Microbia

Homalozoon ciliate and its attack on rotifer

#1 Post by Microbia » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:07 pm

Hello.
I was thrilled to see this action :)

75RR

Re: Homalozoon ciliate and its attack on rotifer

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Great catch!!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Amazing! The rotifer prey was almost digested 20 minutes after being swallowed. Thank you for sharing!

I am guessing you are not just lucky - you spent lots of time scanning and waiting for a short scene like this, right?

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:56 pm

This is very cool... Very good!....

BillT

Microbia

#5 Post by Microbia » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Thank you all!
zzffnn wrote: I am guessing you are not just lucky - you spent lots of time scanning and waiting for a short scene like this, right?
Not lucky at all. I spent the whole yesterday night watching this Homalozoon (I guess 6-7 hours:))
The matter was that I was very curious to see the way it eats. I didn't find any video of its feeding behavior. So I couldn't just let it go:) It is quite rare.
I thought it would catch some small ciliates and didn't expected it to grab a rotifer.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:41 pm

I downloaded it and slowed the first part down (the strike) in order to see if I could distinguish how it was done, no luck. It does seem as if it stabbed it with something that apart from stunning it allowed it to reel it in - some sort of harpoon like apparatus. Perhaps it might be visible in Phase contrast.
Pretty efficient hunting and digesting as well, one would think it would, anaconda like, take a week to digest such a large meal.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Microbia

#7 Post by Microbia » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:47 pm

I also tried to slow down the strike and hoped to see trichocysts.. Nothing could be seen.

vasselle

#8 Post by vasselle » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:32 am

Bonjour.
Alors là je dit tout simplement bravo.
Car elle est tout simplement superbe cette vidéo car c'est là première fois que je vois ça.
Encore bravo pour votre travail et merci pour le partage.
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

Tom Jones

#9 Post by Tom Jones » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:21 am

Wow :o Very, very nice.

Tom

Johann

#10 Post by Johann » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:31 am

Awesome video - very interesting
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

billporter1456

#11 Post by billporter1456 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:45 pm

An incredible video! I am sure you were thrilled when after watching for so long, you witnessed this amazing feeding behavior. I doubt very much if anyone anywhere has recorded a better one. Thanks for sharing it.

Bruce Taylor

#12 Post by Bruce Taylor » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Another wonderful video! :o Truly, you have an amazing ability to record ciliate predation.

I've watched Homalozoon for years and have never seen one take a meal.

billporter1456

#13 Post by billporter1456 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Microbia wrote:Thank you all!
zzffnn wrote: I am guessing you are not just lucky - you spent lots of time scanning and waiting for a short scene like this, right?
Not lucky at all. I spent the whole yesterday night watching this Homalozoon (I guess 6-7 hours:))
The matter was that I was very curious to see the way it eats. I didn't find any video of its feeding behavior. So I couldn't just let it go:) It is quite rare.
I thought it would catch some small ciliates and didn't expected it to grab a rotifer.
You must have had to re-hydrate that slide numerous times? By the way, I recall you saying that you were using a "no name Chinese" microscope with objectives you bought on eBay. Your images look crisp and clear, so I'm curious about the objectives you are using.

Microbia

#14 Post by Microbia » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 pm

Thank you everyone for the kind words! ;)
billporter1456 wrote:
You must have had to re-hydrate that slide numerous times?
Yes, I needed to add a drop of water every 20 minutes. I added the water from the samples that contained small ciliates, I didn't know that Homalozoon wasn't interested in them :)
billporter1456 wrote:
By the way, I recall you saying that you were using a "no name Chinese" microscope with objectives you bought on eBay. Your images look crisp and clear, so I'm curious about the objectives you are using.
My objectives are Chinese too. I bought a set of plan objectives from this store on Ebay http://stores.ebay.com/Cnscope/Infinity ... 34.c0.m322

Aenima

#15 Post by Aenima » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Wow, amazing video and scene. :)

75RR wrote:I downloaded it and slowed the first part down (the strike) in order to see if I could distinguish how it was done, no luck. It does seem as if it stabbed it with something that apart from stunning it allowed it to reel it in - some sort of harpoon like apparatus. Perhaps it might be visible in Phase contrast.
Pretty efficient hunting and digesting as well, one would think it would, anaconda like, take a week to digest such a large meal.
Is the harpoon thingy it used toxic in some way? is that why it seemed to be dazed? very interesting that these little critters have sophisticated weapons and tactics - not something i've ever really studied before so apologies if it's a silly question :)

Thanks.

Microbia

#16 Post by Microbia » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 am

Aenima wrote:Wow, amazing video and scene. :)
Thank you!
Aenima wrote:Is the harpoon thingy it used toxic in some way? is that why it seemed to be dazed? very interesting that these little critters have sophisticated weapons and tactics - not something i've ever really studied before so apologies if it's a silly question :)
Yes, it is toxic. The feeding behavior of Homalozoon involves 5 stages (similar to all ciliate predators, I think) : contact of prey with the oral rim of Homalozoon --> ejection of toxin --> paralysis of the prey --> grasping --> swallowing

Bruce Taylor

#17 Post by Bruce Taylor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Microbia wrote:
Aenima wrote:(similar to all ciliate predators, I think) : contact of prey with the oral rim of Homalozoon --> ejection of toxin
Oral toxicysts are an innovation of certain litostomatean ciliates only ("haptorians," in the loose sense, i.e. including Rhynchostomatia). Most ciliate groups--many of which include ambitious predators--do not have them, although some of these possess toxic somatic extrusomes of one kind or another (like the defensive pigmentocysts of Blepharisma and Climacostomum).

Microbia

#18 Post by Microbia » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Bruce Taylor wrote:
Oral toxicysts are an innovation of certain litostomatean ciliates only ("haptorians," in the loose sense, i.e. including Rhynchostomatia). Most ciliate groups--many of which include ambitious predators--do not have them, although some of these possess toxic somatic extrusomes of one kind or another (like the defensive pigmentocysts of Blepharisma and Climacostomum).
Thank you, Bruce, for your valuable correction. So far, I've seen only predaceous ciliates with toxicysts, so I made a wrong conclusion.

hkv

#19 Post by hkv » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Fantastic!
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

Radazz

#20 Post by Radazz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:13 pm

WOW!
I need to not stay away so long, catching up on everyone's great work.
Jim
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40