Dinner for three

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Microbia

Dinner for three

#1 Post by Microbia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:37 am

These are three Holophrya ciliates eating dead rotifer. The video is quite long but I've decided not to cut it. I increased video speed by 4 times.
Last edited by Microbia on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzffnn

Re: Dinner for three

#2 Post by zzffnn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:16 am

Great video and good choice of not cutting the video short.

Did you use plain brightfield or a slight oblique?

Thank you for sharing!

Microbia

#3 Post by Microbia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:38 am

zzffnn wrote:Great video and good choice of not cutting the video short.

Did you use plain brightfield or a slight oblique?

Thank you for sharing!
Thanks. Yes, this is plain brightfield.

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:12 am

Interesting video, good call on showing all of it.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Mintaka

#5 Post by Mintaka » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 am

Amazing video!

billbillt

#6 Post by billbillt » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:51 am

Great video... Thanks for sharing..

BillT

Microbia

#7 Post by Microbia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:29 am

Thank you all.
I'm wondering if all three ciliates are of the same species of Holophrya or the large one is different from the small ones...

Francisco

Re: Cena para tres

#8 Post by Francisco » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:50 am

Very nice video.
The big ciliate is, I think, Prorodon. Ciliates very "scavengers"
Last edited by Francisco on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Microbia

#9 Post by Microbia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:56 am

Francisco wrote:Very nice video.
The big ciliate is, I think, Prorodon. Cilidos very "scavengers"
Thanks. I've read that Prorodon is the same as Holophrya. Now I'm confused..

billporter1456

#10 Post by billporter1456 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:12 pm

Nicely done, Microbia! :D

At first it looked like the big one had a huge advantage with the smaller ones unable to push it aside. But then it turns out that the smaller ones, being small enough to get inside the dead rotifer, get far more food than the big one. A nice illustration of how what looks like a disadvantage can sometimes be an advantage. It also shows that in the microworld there is very little wasted.

Looks like you got your sensor fixed. Or did you use a different camera? Whichever it was, it's nice to see that you are back in business.

Microbia

#11 Post by Microbia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:41 pm

billporter1456 wrote:Nicely done, Microbia! :D

At first it looked like the big one had a huge advantage with the smaller ones unable to push it aside. But then it turns out that the smaller ones, being small enough to get inside the dead rotifer, get far more food than the big one. A nice illustration of how what looks like a disadvantage can sometimes be an advantage. It also shows that in the microworld there is very little wasted.

Looks like you got your sensor fixed. Or did you use a different camera? Whichever it was, it's nice to see that you are back in business.
Thanks :) ! I got my camera's sensor replaced, so now I have to be careful and not to record long videos in order to avoid sensor overheating again.

Francisco

#12 Post by Francisco » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Microbia wrote:
Holophrya and Prorodon belongs to the same order: Prorodontidae but Holophrya is included in the family Holophryadae and Prorodon in Prorontidae.
Best regards

Francisco

#13 Post by Francisco » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:10 pm

Microbia wrote:
billporter1456 wrote:Nicely done, Microbia! :D

Thanks :) ! I got my camera's sensor replaced, so now I have to be careful and not to record long videos in order to avoid sensor overheating again.
What cameras do you use?

Microbia

#14 Post by Microbia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:16 pm

I use DSLR camera Canon eos 700D.

Francisco

#15 Post by Francisco » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks

vasselle

#16 Post by vasselle » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Bonjour
Très belle vidéo
Merci pour le partage
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

Microbia

#17 Post by Microbia » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:46 pm

vasselle wrote:Bonjour
Très belle vidéo
Merci pour le partage
Cordialement seb
Merci!

Bruce Taylor

#18 Post by Bruce Taylor » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Microbia wrote:
You're right to be confused. ;) I'll see if I can straighten it out, a bit.

First, I believe Holophrya is a likely identification for the hungry critters you have recorded. The genus includes some well-studied histophagous (scavenger) ciliates, with a complicated life cycle featuring a variety of body sizes and shapes, including a smaller, narrower "traveling" (theront) shape, as well as a larger, but still narrow "adult, feeding" shape (trophont). As it eats, the ciliate swells up and becomes a big, fat pre-divider (protomont), which may then go on to reproduce by multiple fissions inside a division cyst. I've attached an illustration of the life cycle of Holophrya aklitolophon, from Hiller & Bardele, via Denis Lynn:
Holophrya aklitophon life cycle.jpg
Holophrya aklitophon life cycle.jpg (31.98 KiB) Viewed 8157 times
The taxonomy has been quite messy, since Foissner et al. moved most members of Prorodon to the genus Holophrya, a bit more than two decades ago. The genus Prorodon now largely consists of ciliates previously described as Pseudoprorodon (oval to elongate ciliates with an apical mouth and a long wormlike macronucleus). Holophrya consists largely of ciliates previously described as Prorodon (typically possessing a more compact macronucleus). Telling the two apart in living specimens can be challenging because the groups are differentiated mainly on the basis of the "brosse," an arrangement of dorsal cilia that is often quite difficult to see without the help of special stains.

In any case, ciliates known historically as "Prorodon" (Prorodon ovum, P. teres, P. aklitolophon etc.) are now mostly placed in Holophrya, so your notion that the genera are "the same" is not so far from the truth. :)

Microbia

#19 Post by Microbia » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:46 pm

Thank you a lot, Bruce, for your detailed explanation! Now it became much clearer for me.
Yes, I read this article by Hiller & Bardele by the link you kindly placed below your video "Voracious ciliates (Holophrya)". It was very interesting to know about a life cycle of these critters. I wish I knew about that when I recorded the video, then I would try to capture an encystation process, though it might be very long to wait.

Bruce Taylor

#20 Post by Bruce Taylor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:07 pm

It would certainly be interesting to have another record of Holophrya encystment! Literature on the group is remarkably sparse.

The restructuring of Prorodontida is a good example of how correctly following the rules of taxonomy can sometimes cause more problems than it solves (in the short term, at least). In 1994, Foissner's group discovered an inconvenient fact: in 1875, the protozoologist Fromentel had established a type species for the genus Prorodon (Prorodon niveus, which Kahl placed in Pseudoprorodon), and for Holophrya (Holophrya ovum, which Kahl puts in Prorodon). Throughout most of the 20th century, nobody seems to have noticed this! However, the rules are the rules...so, Foissner et al. duly moved most members of Prorodon to Holophrya, Pseudoprorodon to Prorodon, and Holophrya to Apsiktrata.

The result is some disruption in the natural flow of information from one generation of researchers to the next...and who knows what fresh confusions phylogeny will introduce when new genetic data become available!

Anyway, tissue-eating (histophagous) ciliates with a conical (as opposed to slit-like) anterior mouth-basket, and compact macronucleus, are in Holophrya, for the present, so your initial identification was likely a good one.