Pollen slides revisited

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
mrsonchus

Pollen slides revisited

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:10 am

Here are a couple of pictures of some of my first pollen mounts in Glycerin Jelly
stained with Fuschin - the backgrounds have been 'everage-blurred' away to clean them
up a bit as they are really pretty bitty and mucky.

The Schlembergera is better known as 'Christmas Cactus' although the variety from which
came this pollen is actually the 'Easter Cactus' - pointed leaf borders instead of the true
rounded lobes of the 'Christmas Cactus' proper....
Quite a bit of information about the pollen<br />grains is visible in this mount.
Quite a bit of information about the pollen
grains is visible in this mount.
websize_schlembergera_pollen.jpg (258.59 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
Here's one of my very first pollen slides - that of the 'Sonchus asper' or 'Prickly Sow-thistle'
that I studied most of last summer (before I got my first 'scope'). These grains are very hard
to image as they are really very small but at the same time very 3-dimensional (unlike the
usual tiny but essentially flat sections of specimens) and the material from which their
'exine' (shell) is constructed plays havoc with light and focus!
On my previous Swift 'scope (my 2nd 'scope) these were really just vague pink blurs but on
the beautiful SP200 they have come to life and show a lot of characteristic features. The
previous Shlembergera pollen is a lot easier to image as the grains are essentially spherical,
without the very complex structure of pits, pores, ridges and spines that cover the Sonchus asper
pollen's exine.
Finally the SP200 allows me to see what I've seen on the net on my own slides!
Finally the SP200 allows me to see what I've seen on the net on my own slides!
websize_sonchus_asper_4.jpg (112.27 KiB) Viewed 2783 times
I am not happy with the poor quality of this picture - it's hopelessly blrry when compared to the
view down the 'scope but there the best I can do at the moment.

Hope you like them - sorry to go on about pollen, I just find it fascinating and tend to get a bit
carried away - my family scream and flee if my lips even look like forming the word 'pollen'!

John
John B

gekko

Re: Pollen slides revisited

#2 Post by gekko » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:50 am

Very nice indeed! If I may critique the 2nd image, I would have not cleaned the background "wholesale", but rather cloned out really objectionable, undefined objects individually and left the other stuff alone: I think that might have given it a more "natural" look. All the same, very nice images, and beautiful colors.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:28 am

gekko wrote:Very nice indeed! If I may critique the 2nd image, I would have not cleaned the background "wholesale", but rather cloned out really objectionable, undefined objects individually and left the other stuff alone: I think that might have given it a more "natural" look. All the same, very nice images, and beautiful colors.
Definitely agree with you here - the radically different blurring background of No.2 and the resultant 'halo effect' around each grain are artifacts not in the 'scope image. I'm going to go for more subtlety and accuracy in the future, I agree, restrained cloning is the way to go and with a little extra care it can be implemented very accurately.

Many thanks.

John
John B

amu

#4 Post by amu » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:44 pm

I would like a step by step recipe for make small amounts of glycerin jelly with basic Fuchsin added. I have what I need to make it I just am not sure how to dissolve the basic Fuchsin and I do not want a huge amount.

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:01 pm

amu wrote:I would like a step by step recipe for make small amounts of glycerin jelly with basic Fuchsin added. I have what I need to make it I just am not sure how to dissolve the basic Fuchsin and I do not want a huge amount.
Hmm - I'm not absolutely sure, I bought mine ready-made complete with Fuchsin in it. Is your Fuschin in aqueous form at the moment? I found the ready-made Fuschin Glycerin Jelly too strongly coloured so I made some of my own clear Glycerin Jelly and mixed the two to suit.

regards
John B