Cross section of high voltage transformer coil

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Crater Eddie

Cross section of high voltage transformer coil

#1 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:40 pm

I thought you might be interested in something you don't see every day.
Here we have a cross section (via bandsaw) of a small high voltage transformer coil. The larger wires (input coil) are #19, and the smaller wires (output coil) #30. The insulating papers between layers of the smaller wires are about .003" thick. The first shot is the center of the coil, second shot is at the end so we can see how the papers overlap the windings. The whole coil has been vacuum impregnated with a very hard epoxy to prevent internal arcing. The coil (in a cup to contain the epoxy) is put into a vacuum chamber which is then evacuated, then epoxy is introduced while under vacuum. The chamber is then vented and the epoxy allowed to cure.

0330181445.jpg
0330181445.jpg (292.79 KiB) Viewed 6893 times
0330181446x.jpg
0330181446x.jpg (287.94 KiB) Viewed 6893 times

Photos taken on my Amscope inspection scope at work at 45x, with my cheapo cellphone as camera.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

MichaelG.

Re: Cross section of high voltage transformer coil

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:56 pm

Interesting images ... Thanks for sharing them.
It's astonishing how capable this sort of set-up has become in recent years.

MichaelG.
Would I be right in assuming that this is the 'scope ?
http://www.amscope.com/7x-45x-stereo-in ... ystem.html
Too many 'projects'

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:13 pm

No, it is closer to this one:

http://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscop ... amera.html

but with LED ring light instead of florescent.
I was never happy with the supplied MU500 camera, so I took it off and made an adapter for my cellphone. Much better.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks ... I had wrongly guessed that it was only a binocular, on the basis that you were using the 'phone camera.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Really good phone images, CE...does that inspection scope go higher magnification than 45X? Is it practicle to try and use in the outdoors with tiny insects, mosses, ect. ?

Charlie Guevara My edit after looking at link to your stereo scope, CE! Guess it's my age...but I would term your fine instrument a: trinoc head stereo microscope....not an: inspection scope!

So much for me asking if this instrument would function outdoors!
Last edited by charlie g on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:28 pm

Sorry, I was mistaken :oops: , the photos were taken at the 7x setting, it zooms up to 45x. I do have a 2x aux lens that screws in front of the objectives, but have never used it.
CE
Last edited by Crater Eddie on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:No, it is closer to this one:

http://www.amscope.com/stereo-microscop ... amera.html

but with LED ring light instead of florescent.
I was never happy with the supplied MU500 camera, so I took it off and made an adapter for my cellphone. Much better.
CE

Please share with us your opinion on the image quality from the vertical port on your 'trinoc stereo scope', CE? Is the image just like a regular image from a monocular microscope image capture?

Does anything about the image suggest the image from your stereo scope...vrs from your other microscopes?

Your cellphone being so light weight ( I'm guessing this!)...would your stereo/cell phone combo be just as easy on the more common stereo stands lacking a trinoc head? Charlie Guevara ( I never had a trinoc stereo scope.)

JimT

#8 Post by JimT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:12 pm

In addition to all the other comments a very interesting subject that few have ever seen.
...with my cheapo cellphone as camera.
No need to apologize. Very good images.

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:39 pm

An interesting post Eddie, and very nice clear images to my eyes my friend.
It's always interesting to see something from a different perspective - interesting also re the production technique.

That's what I call serious-sectioning! A band-saw :o Excellent, thanks for sharing Eddie.

John B. :D :D :)
John B

Crater Eddie

#10 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:18 am

Thanks all for the nice comments.
About the Amscope 'scope, it is adaquate for what I use it for at work, but it's the only one I have ever used so I don't have anything to compare it to. The image out the trinoc port is pretty representative of that seen through the eyepieces, but is likely degraded somewhat by the generic Amscope 10x eyepiece I am using as a projection / relay lens. I could probably tune the system to get better images, but its good enough, so I haven't taken it further. The first MU500 camera that came with the scope originally was ok, but eventually failed. Amscope was good enough to give us a replacement after the warrenty period had expired, but the replacement camera was never satisfasctory. The imaging sensor is way off center and apparently tilted somewhat from the distortion in the images. They weren't excited about sending us yet another replacement camera, so I just boxed it up and made a simple platform adapter to hold my cell phone. It isn't perfect, but is better than what I had.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

Crater Eddie

#11 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:31 am

charlie g wrote:My edit after looking at link to your stereo scope, CE! Guess it's my age...but I would term your fine instrument a: trinoc head stereo microscope....not an: inspection scope! So much for me asking if this instrument would function outdoors!
Sorry, my fault really. That's what I use it for so that's what I call it. I do occasionally use it to look at insects and it is fine for visual use, have not tried photographing any. Maybe I need to take a petri dish with a few amphipods to work and see if I can catch a few shots.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

MicroBob

#12 Post by MicroBob » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi Eddie,
nice idea for a technical microscope object! It is interesting to see the irregularities in the coil windings and the diameter difference.
I am collecting technical micoscopy objects and ideas to use as a topic for our microscopy group one day.

Bob

charlie g

#13 Post by charlie g » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi again, CE and Microbob, may I suggest metallic 'holographic type' cloths and product labels as excellemt subjects for reflected light stereomicroscopy? Charlie guevara

Crater Eddie

#14 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:38 pm

I brought some algae and amphiopds to work and tried a few shots with this system, and am so far disappointed in the results. I see a good quality image through the eyepieces, but the photos leave something to be desired. Here is an example, the best of today's lot:

Those crazy amphipods sure do swim around a lot. I don't know how long I chased them around until this one finally took a few moments rest... in a very un-photogenic position of course. Next time I'll take out all the algae so they can't hide. And I need a smaller container, a petri dish gives them too much room to run away.
I didn't crop out the vignetting here as that just blew it up too much and made it grainier. Clearly I need to work on this, as I think the images should be better. I might even give the USB camera another try.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

PeteM

#15 Post by PeteM » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Pretty cool images. Thanks for sharing them?

Is this something you do regularly at work, say for QC??

Crater Eddie

#16 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Yes, I use this scope regularly for QC. Occasionally I'll take photos to document various issues for future reference.
This is the first time I have used it to view "pond life". I'll admit to spending quite a bit of time before work this morning just watching the amphipods, ostricods, and various other wee beasties swim about the petri dish. Its one thing to look at an ostricod trapped on a slide, but watching them swim freely around and interacting with their environment gives one a totally different perspective. I'm afraid that now I'm going to have to look for a stereo scope for home use.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)