Marine Nematode

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
75RR

Marine Nematode

#1 Post by 75RR » Wed May 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Plan 40x/0.65, DIC, 50µm widest point, stacked and stitched in Photoshop
Attachments
annelida.jpg
annelida.jpg (207.54 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KurtM

Re: Marine Nematode

#2 Post by KurtM » Thu May 03, 2018 12:17 am

DANG! :shock: Now that is one lovely photomicrograph if you ask me. Well done sir! 8-)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

desertrat

#3 Post by desertrat » Thu May 03, 2018 1:10 am

Another professional quality image!

In the soil, in fresh water, and in the oceans, it seems nematodes are everywhere!
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Thu May 03, 2018 5:19 am

Many thanks KurtM and desertrat

Here is a Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nematode

and a quote from within it by Nathan Cobb a Nematologist (yes it is a thing)

In short, if all the matter in the universe except the nematodes were swept away, our world would still be dimly recognizable, and if, as disembodied spirits, we could then investigate it, we should find its mountains, hills, vales, rivers, lakes, and oceans represented by a film of nematodes. The location of towns would be decipherable, since for every massing of human beings, there would be a corresponding massing of certain nematodes. Trees would still stand in ghostly rows representing our streets and highways. The location of the various plants and animals would still be decipherable, and, had we sufficient knowledge, in many cases even their species could be determined by an examination of their erstwhile nematode parasites.

+ an article by Mr Cobb published in 1914: https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/naldc/downlo ... ontent=PDF

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Thu May 03, 2018 7:00 am

A wonderful image, and a fascinating article ... Thanks for sharing both.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

coominya

#6 Post by coominya » Thu May 03, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks for posting 75, excellent image. I'll read the links at my leisure.

vasselle

#7 Post by vasselle » Sat May 19, 2018 1:07 am

Bonjour
Magnifique image d'un Nematode.
Merci pour le partage
Cordialement seb
Microscope Leitz Laborlux k
Boitier EOS 1200D + EOS 1100D

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Sat May 19, 2018 11:42 am

Beautiful sense of this 'worms' transparent rather stout tube body plan, 75RR. Was it alive and active when you 'made the stacked collection of image captures'? I always thought 'stacked images' required a relatively non-moving subject?

Your using the 40X objective with this relatively large organism ( meiofauna vrs a protest) offers the subtle internal anatomy of this nematode...yet I guess the entire body was not visible in a single : 40X objective field of view? Is this why you : 'stiched a collection of 'stacked images' to depict the entire organism?

So I ask: was this an actively moving nematode?, how many segments were: 'stiched' to comprise this entire organism?

The lighting, and the sense of stout girth of this organism give a respectibal to sinister presence to this worm as I approach it while snorkeling with rubber fins in the lagoon it resides in!

The body plan, the size, the varied anatomy along your subjects total length...this all was splendidly captured in your image here, 75RR...thank you.

Over a year ago I asked for input and advice as to how one could 'stitch' the higher magnification images I enjoyed of a huge Spirostomum ciliate. I think at that time I was told moving organisms hamper quality image stacks. I'd love to 'assemble' stacks of Spirostomum images...to achieve the entire organism with it's pleasing 'Dr.Seuzz furry body'. thanks for a great microscopy encounter, Charlie guevara

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Sat May 19, 2018 3:56 pm

"Over a year ago I asked for input and advice as to how one could 'stitch' the higher magnification images I enjoyed of a huge Spirostomum ciliate. I think at that time I was told moving organisms hamper quality image stacks. I'd love to 'assemble' stacks of Spirostomum images."

You must be willing to try different things on your computer without fear.. Do a search for image stacking and see what programs are out there.. it seems most folks like to use Photoshop for this.. too expensive for my blood... If you are squeamish about loading and configuring programs on your computer this is not for you..

Respectfully,
BillT

billbillt

#10 Post by billbillt » Sat May 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Wonderful image!... DIC makes for a great photo...

BillT

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Sat May 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Many thanks charlie g
So I ask: was this an actively moving nematode?, how many segments were: 'stiched' to comprise this entire organism?
Looking back at the image files I would say around 12 stacks of some 5/6 images in each. Took a couple more on each end of the stack, but that was what I used.
That may seem a lot but then not only does one have to cover the whole organism and some of the background but additionally one needs about 60% overlap on each image/stack to make sure it can be stitched - so I tend to be a little cautious.

The nematode was pinned by the cover slip, head was immobile but the tail kept twitching. Glad were are in a digital age. Would have wasted a lot of film if we weren't.
Murphy's Law dictated that the nematode had to twitch just before the end of the image sequence, repeatedly!
Over a year ago I asked for input and advice as to how one could 'stitch' the higher magnification images I enjoyed of a huge Spirostomum ciliate. I think at that time I was told moving organisms hamper quality image stacks.
That is correct, subject needs to be immobilized for a successful stack.
I use Photoshop, but only because I already had it. There is dedicated software that will do a better job.
If you have a windows computer then I suggest you try CombineZ. I have heard it is not only very good but also free.
I am a mac user and so would need to pay for a stacking software. So far I always seem to find a more urgent use for the money.

billbillt

#12 Post by billbillt » Sat May 19, 2018 7:59 pm

Here is a link for the latest CombineZM.. It said nothing about having a stitching feature, but it might have it...

https://combinezm.en.lo4d.com/

BillT