Clothes Moth

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
MichaelG.

Clothes Moth

#1 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:23 pm

This box houses my old Russian 1000mm mirror lens, which is only used occasionally.

To my horror, the green baize liners have been attacked by the moth.
Box
Box
P1240204_s.jpg (72.55 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
Debris
Debris
P1240208_xs.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
Removing one of the wooden inserts, which had evidently been damaged and re-glued at some time, revealed the culprit.
P1240214_xs.jpg
P1240214_xs.jpg (63.82 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
P1240215_xs.jpg
P1240215_xs.jpg (64.8 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
Portrait of the Culprit
Portrait of the Culprit
P1240214_xxs.jpg (61.68 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
Be Warned

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

Re: Clothes Moth

#2 Post by apochronaut » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Where there is one, there are usually more. Do you have a piano?

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:55 pm

apochronaut wrote:Where there is one, there are usually more. Do you have a piano?
No piano
I found a total of five grubs in this box, and a small grey moth which flew away before I could get the camera.
... Haven't seen any elsewhere in the house, but am currently living in fear.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:11 pm

They are mainly attracted to wool based textiles. Felt is a big one. Wool sweaters. The moths will just hang out in the vicinity of a good food supply, briefly mate, then lay eggs on the wool. If you have sweaters or other felt or wool , disturbing the cloth, might flush out some moths.
Larva, first make tiny little holes, or extended ones in one place, then make a little Kayak shaped chrysalis out of the cloth, which can be hard to see, because they look like little pills on the cloth.
Cedar oil or fine chips of cedar, juniper or similar repels them. I think cedar oil, is actually toxic to them. Napthalene, of course.

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Naphthalene, and later on hexachloroethane, in the form of white balls, were used at homes many years ago to repel moth, but have been phased out.

Indeed, one should suspect that the moth has invaded other places in the house, like cloth cabinets where cloth are made of natural fibers.

Some immediate remedy steps that I have just read and appear to be reliable, and I translate it:
1. Open all cupboard doors, to expose all mature moth (the flying version) to light, preferably sunlight. It kills them somehow.
2. Empty all infested cupboards. The larvae are sometimes camouflaged by the outer shield they build for themselves as explained by Apochronaut.
3. Shake all infested items vigorously, brush them and expose to the sun.
4. Washing the infested textiles will help, although it is not critical.
5. Clean the cupboard, vacuum all crevices and holes. The moth eggs are not glued to surfaces, only laid on them.
6. If anti-insect sprays are not objectionable, they should be applied.
I have also read that moth sometimes wanders from kitchen food cabinets to clothing cupboards. If so, better check out the kitchen as well.

I think that the saying "sunlight is the best disinfectant" originated from anti-moth treatments...

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Thank you, Gentlemen

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

coominya

#7 Post by coominya » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Do you have a video of the dissection of the grub :twisted:

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:20 am

coominya wrote:Do you have a video of the dissection of the grub :twisted:
Regrettably not :oops:
But I do like your style 8-)

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

scilover

#9 Post by scilover » Wed May 20, 2020 7:11 am

Oh dear! If I’m not mistaken, green baize is made of fibres of either wool or synthetic. Looks like you are feeding the moth. They eat exclusively on fibers especially wool, because it contains keratin. Cloth moth also prefer dark and undisturbed areas like closets and basements.

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Wed May 20, 2020 8:16 am

Excellent summary [and welcome to the forum]

Thankfully that was the only place we ever found them
... Still mystified by how they came.

It took ages to remove all that baize, with a steam-gun and a scraper
... finest Russian animal glue, I presume
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_glue

MichaelG
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Wed May 20, 2020 5:15 pm

When we moved to the 150 year old farm house almost 40 years ago, we put the piano in a corner covered in Hudson's Bay blankets. Many boxes were stacked in advance of the piano, until such time as we could get at them. So, until the next spring, little was seen of the piano. Upon getting close to it, I discovered the Hudson's Bay blankets had been badly eaten and were covered in little cocoons. The amazing thing is, where they had built the cocoons from the ends where the stripes were, many of the cocoons had stripes or coloured areas too. None had all five colours of course but some had two or three. They looked like little Hudson's Bay Kayaks, even more striking when they all got dumped out on the last remaining snow.......Fortunately, the blankets acted as a trap, kind of ; and the piano felts and hammers were spared.