Stentor dividing

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Aenima

Stentor dividing

#1 Post by Aenima » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:21 pm

As per the title really - I think it was an awesome thing to have witnessed, and even better to have recorded it. You guys have likely seen it quite a few times over the years, but for me this is a first. :geek: :D

best watched in high quality as the compression was pretty drastic.

link https://youtu.be/G8-iJrWh-CU

75RR

Re: Stentor dividing

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Great catch! Had not seen that before.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Radazz

#3 Post by Radazz » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Wow! Even better with the link.
Not so easy a process as I had imagined.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

Aenima

#4 Post by Aenima » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:13 am

cheers fellas :)

I think the cell division and reproduction process of these Cilliates and other micro critters is one of the highlights of owning a microscope - if I ever catch it happening - although I don't always recognise it - I try to follow it {and record if possible) to the end.
I have captured about 5 divisions on 'film' so far, of various protozoa, but that Stentor footage was probably the best, both in terms of visual observation and video capture - I would say the regular speed footage is far better though. There seemed, to me, a real sense of graceful motion, almost like ballet dancing or something like that, which is a bit lost in the sped up version.
Saying that, though, there is a bonus to seeing the division happen so quickly - like timelapse films of embryo development or decomposing forest creatures - things that are otherwise almost imperceptible to us in real-time - so that some magic is still retained. :)

Aenima

#6 Post by Aenima » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:36 pm

ImperatorRex wrote:Pls. keep on sharing this nice videos :-)
thank you ImperatorRex - i certainly have plenty of video footage, its not all as good and interesting as the Stentor division though :P

I tend to record video when i have a vague plan to try and identify the subject later - but don't get around to processing or posting them especially if they don't have much aesthetic appeal :P