Pool sample

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
coominya

Pool sample

#1 Post by coominya » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:20 pm

I think the large protists here are paramecium, the pod at the top I am unsure of.
200x & 400x

Bryan

Re: Pool sample

#2 Post by Bryan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:25 pm

You may want to put a little chlorine in that pool. ;)

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Great pool you have going, coominya..at that size I'd call it a: mesocosm ( as compared to a :microcosm, or a natural habitat). I hope you stock your pool with sample from area natural wetlands from time to time.

The free individuals with internal red or green globbules sure look like a type of ciliate: Genus Coleps. Oddly..the pair inside a cyst seem similar..err..maybe..nahh ..but a higher magnification would assist your ID. Great fresh water microscopy with your mesocosm/pool habitat! Charlie Guevara, fingerlakes/US I,m rigging up an artificial stream/pond combo..bullheads bred successfully in it this year..I hope to establish native freshwater mussels in the stream segment.

coominya

#4 Post by coominya » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:50 am

charlie g wrote:Great pool you have going, coominya..

The free individuals with internal red or green globbules sure look like a type of ciliate: Genus Coleps.
Thanks for the lead on ID charlie. The pool isn't mine, lol, I just happen to know the elderly couple and go there to raid their mulberry and Loquot trees in season. They are going to have it removed soon, it's been in that state for a decade or more.