vaginicola oblique

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Aenima

vaginicola oblique

#1 Post by Aenima » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:28 pm

An old-ish recording from a couple months back, i originally ditched it due to botching the white balance/colour balance - leaving a pinkish off-white tone - but as my local pond seems dead for the winter i'm looking back and lowering my standards :p for usable footage.

I still dislike the colour but in hindsight i think the content is okay still - first thought it was thuricola but after watching bill porters useful video guide it seems more likely vaginicola due to the lack of 'door' in the vessel entrance.

https://youtu.be/tVfjCnIAnsM

75RR

Re: vaginicola oblique

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Great catch and nice video (despite the tinge)

Know what you mean, a catch like that does not happen everyday so it is annoying not to get it just right.

Have you tried to correct the pink cast with a video editing software? You should be able to get rid of some of it.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi Aenima,
nice video, I don't care for the white balance. It is beautiful how they move synchronously most of the time. You oblique setup gives a nice contrast.

Do you use a video editing software? With Magix Deluxe 2016 Plus you can make changes to white balance, contrast, sharpening etc.

Bob

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Very nice and informative clip!

Aenima

#5 Post by Aenima » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:18 pm

thanks guys
i agree, very interesting to watch the synch'd movements of creatures like this - i suspect they both reacted to the same stimuli - possibly a vibration of the microscope stage...?

I often deliberately tap the stage to elicit that type of response from say a Rotifer or Vorticella :P although not in this instance

As for the editing software i really have no idea how to properly edit video, and always stick to directly converting into smaller/lower quality files for uploading using windows movie maker - occasionally i add text or whatever, but yeah i would actually like to be able to edit vids well, and might look into free software and/or tutorials on the subject.

Any suggestions welcomed! :)

Aenima

#6 Post by Aenima » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:21 pm

MicroBob wrote:Hi Aenima,
nice video, I don't care for the white balance. It is beautiful how they move synchronously most of the time. You oblique setup gives a nice contrast.

Do you use a video editing software? With Magix Deluxe 2016 Plus you can make changes to white balance, contrast, sharpening etc.

Bob
Ooh cool - i missed your recommendation first time round, but re-reading i now will have something to check out - thanks :)

MicroBob

#7 Post by MicroBob » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 am

I'm also quite new to viedeo recording and editing. I asked knowledgable people at work and the result was that it makes most sense to use Magix in the Deluxe Plus consellation. It does not need to be the newest version, but the simpler constellations are severely restricted so not a good buy. Magix works quite well and it is not too difficult to get going. I had a bunch of viruses, adware and trojans on my main computer so couldn't use it for some days and edited the last video with Microsoft Movie Maker. In comparison I would say the price of my older Magix version was good value. There is a more powerful program for free, but is is not easy to use for the beginner.