Diatoms

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Radazz

Diatoms

#1 Post by Radazz » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:43 am

These are better
Olympus IX70 HMC

20x obj
Seven image stack (picoley)

40x obj

Enjoy,
Radazz
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

janvangastel

Re: Diatoms

#2 Post by janvangastel » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:52 am

Beautifull! I am new to microscopy and amazed about what's possible.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:56 am

Attractive creation!

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:47 pm

Very nice, thank you for sharing!

I would like to see a diatom comparison between HMC and offset oblique, if possible. A separated flat Gyrosigma would work well for that comparison.

Looking at the above Gyrosigma in HMC though, it does seem that HMC may have reduced aperture by too much, such that dot resolution is lost. I am only guessing based on Gyrosigma experience though and could totally be wrong.

photomicro

#5 Post by photomicro » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:13 pm

zzffnn wrote:Very nice, thank you for sharing!

I would like to see a diatom comparison between HMC and offset oblique, if possible. A separated flat Gyrosigma would work well for that comparison.

Looking at the above Gyrosigma in HMC though, it does seem that HMC may have reduced aperture by too much, such that dot resolution is lost. I am only guessing based on Gyrosigma experience though and could totally be wrong.
Could it be that the stacking process has spoilt the resolution of the dots here?

Radazz

#6 Post by Radazz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:57 pm

That would be my guess.
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

photomicro

#7 Post by photomicro » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:27 pm

I thought I would see what I could do with my home-made HMC set-up. By home made I mean that both the insert in the condenser and that in the objective have been fabricated by me, quite simply with fairly basic materials. I realise that it is not ideal, and needs some tinkering with, but then that is part of the enjoyment.

Unfortunately, I read the name Gyrosigma in the text of a comment, and quite missed the fact that I think the sigmoidal frustule in the original shot is Pleurosigma. Hopefully it still illustrates if it works OK.
Gyrosigma HMC.jpg
Gyrosigma HMC.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 5262 times

zzffnn

#8 Post by zzffnn » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:28 am

My mistake, sorry about that.

A side by side comparison of HMC vs oblique would be nice.

Radazz

#9 Post by Radazz » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:48 pm

I’m going to have to set up the BX40 next to the IX70 to make this comparison.
Still trying to figure out how to do darkfield or oblique on the inverted.
I ordered some acrylic disks to fit the filter carrier on the illuminator in order to try creating some stops.
However, the Silly Season is using much more time than usual, and I will try after the holidays.

Bare with me,
Radazz
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

viktor j nilsson

#10 Post by viktor j nilsson » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 am

photomicro wrote:I thought I would see what I could do with my home-made HMC set-up. By home made I mean that both the insert in the condenser and that in the objective have been fabricated by me, quite simply with fairly basic materials. I realise that it is not ideal, and needs some tinkering with, but then that is part of the enjoyment.

Unfortunately, I read the name Gyrosigma in the text of a comment, and quite missed the fact that I think the sigmoidal frustule in the original shot is Pleurosigma. Hopefully it still illustrates if it works OK.

Gyrosigma HMC.jpg
Nice! Have you described your home-made HMC setup somewhere? Since I am going to build my own HMC condenser, I'd love to see it and get some ideas. I'm impressed you built your own objective, too. Was it difficult to get the modulator at the correct position at the objective's back focal plane? I know Leica has a system where the modulator sits outside the objective (Leica Integrated Modulation Contrast), but I would guess that that is only possible with infinity corrected optics.

ImperatorRex

#11 Post by ImperatorRex » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi Photomicro,
looks good. What Objective (n.A.) have you used with your HMC? Your test diatoma is Gyrosigma and the structure just is partly resolved, so I would assume an objective with a n.A. of something like 0.40?