Mold on blueberry,beautiful!

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
redflanker

#1 Post by redflanker » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:27 am

Attachments
IMG_268331e.JPG
IMG_268331e.JPG (227.34 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
2018-12-08 14-44-09 (e).jpg
2018-12-08 14-44-09 (e).jpg (211.58 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
Microscope:Zeiss Primo star with phase contrast
Camera:Cannon 90D
Amateur user

75RR

Re: Mold on blueberry,beautiful!

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:17 am

Nice! They look quite ghostly.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

redflanker

#3 Post by redflanker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:24 pm

75RR wrote:Nice! They look quite ghostly.
thank you, I used a flashlight to shine from the top down, So it looks a little bit like a stereo microscope
Amateur user

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:10 pm

You seem to have made these almost black and white? Given the time of the year in the northern hemisphere, I am assuming that this was a post harvest fungus but then, I do not know what China is doing regarding protective environment shelters or manipulating rainy and dry periods to induce dormancy and flowering outside of a normal temperate season. This wasn't a fungus that occurred on the ripening fruit?

redflanker

#5 Post by redflanker » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:16 am

apochronaut wrote:You seem to have made these almost black and white? Given the time of the year in the northern hemisphere, I am assuming that this was a post harvest fungus but then, I do not know what China is doing regarding protective environment shelters or manipulating rainy and dry periods to induce dormancy and flowering outside of a normal temperate season. This wasn't a fungus that occurred on the ripening fruit?
I don't known exactly what you mean about. The weather of south China(south of the Yangtze River) it's been wet and warm for thousands of years in contrast to the north China, and the city where I live is kunming city Yunnan provience , has another name called "spring city", The annual average temperature is about 15 degrees Celsius, and it rarely snows. The blueberry was washed by my wife one day before,We saw the fungus on the top of some berry next day morning when I take this photo,

This is the view out the window of the hospital where I work right now :D
Attachments
20181213_093239.jpg
20181213_093239.jpg (219.57 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Amateur user

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:14 am

You answered one of my questions. The mold developed after the fruit was washed, so it is a post harvest fungus, most likely a trichoderma or possibly rhizopus, if there was any black developing on it.

My other question was related to the source of the blueberries. China is a northern hemisphere country. Blueberries are a 2-4 month crop in the northern hemisphere, ripening from about June to October, depending on how far north they are grown. Normally, blueberries at this time of year come from the southern hemisphere.....it's our June down there, now. I assume these came from Chile or possibly, Australia . I was however wondering, if they were locally grown on the following basis.

There is a way of tricking temperate zone fruiting plants into thinking it is spring when it isn't. I have had this happen accidentally after a particularly dry August. A tree will shut down, due to lack of moisture, drop it's leaves and go dormant. When it starts to rain again in September, the tree leafs out and blooms. I have had this happen on apple and there was a similar situation in Japan this year, when cherry blossoms emerged in the fall. Those trees won't bloom in the spring. In areas where the winters are cold and frozen, this can be devastating to a fruit tree. It will freeze back terribly and could actually die in the winter but it can be used to advantage in sub tropical climates to grow temperate fruits. In an irrigated situation, the moisture can be restricted to initiate dormancy, then the moisture and fertility restored to initiate growth and blooming. They do this in India with table grapes but I have never heard of it being done with blueberries......Just wondering if it is being done in China.
I grow blueberries, so it is of interest to me.

redflanker

#7 Post by redflanker » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:18 am

apochronaut wrote:You answered one of my questions. The mold developed after the fruit was washed, so it is a post harvest fungus, most likely a trichoderma or possibly rhizopus, if there was any black developing on it.

My other question was related to the source of the blueberries. China is a northern hemisphere country. Blueberries are a 2-4 month crop in the northern hemisphere, ripening from about June to October, depending on how far north they are grown. Normally, blueberries at this time of year come from the southern hemisphere.....it's our June down there, now. I assume these came from Chile or possibly, Australia . I was however wondering, if they were locally grown on the following basis.

There is a way of tricking temperate zone fruiting plants into thinking it is spring when it isn't. I have had this happen accidentally after a particularly dry August. A tree will shut down, due to lack of moisture, drop it's leaves and go dormant. When it starts to rain again in September, the tree leafs out and blooms. I have had this happen on apple and there was a similar situation in Japan this year, when cherry blossoms emerged in the fall. Those trees won't bloom in the spring. In areas where the winters are cold and frozen, this can be devastating to a fruit tree. It will freeze back terribly and could actually die in the winter but it can be used to advantage in sub tropical climates to grow temperate fruits. In an irrigated situation, the moisture can be restricted to initiate dormancy, then the moisture and fertility restored to initiate growth and blooming. They do this in India with table grapes but I have never heard of it being done with blueberries......Just wondering if it is being done in China.
I grow blueberries, so it is of interest to me.
The city---Kunming called “spring city” is not mean it always spring,it‘s just like a praise name compared to other cities in the northern hemisphere,but the southern suburbs of the city has large areas of planting flowers all year round with greenhouse technology to supply the country and even surrounding countries. In recent years, some villages have started to grow blueberries successfully. and the blueberry I bought from local market with very cheap price, so I don't think it from oversea.

Maybe it's wrong,I'm not an expert. :D
Amateur user

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Probably locally grown then. Quite amazing, actually.

Those two mold genuses I mentioned are common saphrophytes of harvested fruit. Trichoderma particularly likes wet blueberries and looks like a white cottony coating. Another possibility is alternaria, which is white when young, turning dark when the spores are releasing.
Most other possibly molds are coloured.

redflanker

#9 Post by redflanker » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:51 pm

apochronaut wrote:Probably locally grown then. Quite amazing, actually.

Those two mold genuses I mentioned are common saphrophytes of harvested fruit. Trichoderma particularly likes wet blueberries and looks like a white cottony coating. Another possibility is alternaria, which is white when young, turning dark when the spores are releasing.
Most other possibly molds are coloured.
thank you,Your answer is very professional
Amateur user