Amoebae

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
janvangastel

Amoebae

#1 Post by janvangastel » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:16 pm

First video: amoebe. I found these two (and some more) amoebae in a drop of water out of a bucket of water with rotting oak leaves. I use the oak leaves in my tropical fish tanks.
Second video (bacteriae (I think) in the same drop of water. Both video's at 500x magnification. The water has a brown color because of the oak leaves. Im still not satisfied with the video quality.

75RR

Re: Amoebae

#2 Post by 75RR » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Good catch! Looks like everyone is having luck finding amoebae

Difficult when they are that small though.

In the second video I wonder if you are focusing on the cover slip rather than the slide.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Thanks, jannvangastel, for these posted observations. It is quite often the case that bacteria and other small protists adhere to and orient themselves an the immediate undersurface of the coverslip.

Especially with our higher magnification objectives..in wetmount slide preps you have interesting encounters both on the plane of the coverslip, and the plane of the slide surface.

The trick is to maintain a 'sweet spot' water film thickness under the coverslip when using immersion bridge objects to best enjoy both surfaces for their organisms. Charlie guevara

geos

#4 Post by geos » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:49 am

Congratulations on finally catching one (or two)!