Licmophora sp.

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
75RR

Licmophora sp.

#1 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 pm

Planapo 63x/1.4, DIC, 320µm length, 5 stacks stitched in Photoshop, Marine sample, Alboran Sea.

Image is linked from imgur as it is 2200 x 580 pixels. Those of you with a large screen will be able to see a little more detail.

Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MichaelG.

Re: Licmophora sp.

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:19 pm

'Pinch Zoom' on the iPad works fine
... astonishing level of detail visible.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:25 pm

Thanks MichaelG.
... astonishing level of detail visible.
The virtues of stitching!

Wes

#4 Post by Wes » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:52 pm

The amount of detail is amazing. I absolutely enjoy your diatom survey of the Alboran Sea. You are really good at stacking and stitching! How do you ensure the object stays static while you collect the multiple sets of images? Do you seal the edges of the coverslip?

Out of curiosity how do you collect all the awesome diatoms you post? Do you scrape off underwater stones or use a plankton net?
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:11 am

Thanks Wes
How do you ensure the object stays static while you collect the multiple sets of images? Do you seal the edges of the coverslip?
I don't seal the edges of the cover slip as I need the water to evaporate. I add drops with tweezers when needed.

In this case I also pressed down on the cover slip a little too firmly, as can be seen by the results.

I use a 6.3x to scan the slide and up to 40x dry to take images until the cover slip is low enough for the WD of the 63x/1.4, assuming there is something worth getting everything oily for!
Out of curiosity how do you collect all the awesome diatoms you post? Do you scrape off underwater stones or use a plankton net?
So far I am finding plenty of variation picking alga up from the surf (just before it is washed ashore*) or removing alga from the ropes that dangle in the water at the local marina.

*Alga washed ashore also contains plenty of diatoms but the alga gets rather smelly very quickly!

I have scraped off alga from stones on a couple of occasions, it also works well.

To place the sample on the slide I grab/tear off a small clump of alga with tweezers and tap it lightly several times on the slide.

This provides plenty to see (though to the naked eye the drop/drops may appear empty) without crowding the subjects.