Guessing this is Mastigamoeba cf setosa ?

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
mintakax

Guessing this is Mastigamoeba cf setosa ?

#1 Post by mintakax » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:09 am

I've been through all (I think) of the amoeba examples on the Microworld amoeba site and this one is the closest match I have to this amoeba:

example : https://www.arcella.nl/mastigamoeba-cf-setosa/

my video: https://vimeo.com/353171007

This creature has cilia and a flagella, but I'm not confident that the nucleus in the description matches my sample. There are some 20x clips and some 40x clips. It moved VERY slowly, so the first clip is normal speed and the rest are sped up 4x.

It is very colorful, I didn't do any manipulation except my usual color grading and took th video using the flatest profile my Nikon D6 has.
I'd appreciate any help with the ID or critique of the video.

Of the many fascinating organisms I've see in the hundreds of slides I've looked at in the last few weeks, amoebas have been the most enthralling.

I'm encountering a weird phenomina on this site. If I click on the vimeo links in the posts, the videos don't play smoothly, but if I copy the link and paste it into a fresh browser window they play fine. Does anyone else have this issue ?

MicroBob

Re: Guessing this is Mastigamoeba cf setosa ?

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 am

Great video, especially from second 40 on!
At the beginning of the video I think the aperture may have been closed a bit much.
I can't help with the identification tough. As amoeba change their shape continuously it probably is a difficult task.

Bob

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:49 am

Another great catch + very nice video, though perhaps a little dark

You will need a better input than mine, but I wonder if Mastigamoeba setosa might be a better fit than Mastigamoeba cf setosa given the description:

"nucleus with some peripheral nucleolar fragments, sometimes with lacunae; cilium connected to the nucleus."

See second 51 of video
Attachments
nucleus.png
nucleus.png (311.04 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mintakax

#4 Post by mintakax » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 pm

MicroBob wrote:Great video, especially from second 40 on!
At the beginning of the video I think the aperture may have been closed a bit much.
I can't help with the identification tough. As amoeba change their shape continuously it probably is a difficult task.

Bob
Thanks Bob, good tip on the aperture.

mintakax

#5 Post by mintakax » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:22 pm

75RR wrote:Another great catch + very nice video, though perhaps a little dark

You will need a better input than mine, but I wonder if Mastigamoeba setosa might be a better fit than Mastigamoeba cf setosa given the description:

"nucleus with some peripheral nucleolar fragments, sometimes with lacunae; cilium connected to the nucleus."

See second 51 of video
Thank you 75RR for all your help. Mastigamoeba setosa !