Arcella amoeba - empty housing

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
MicroBob

#1 Post by MicroBob » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi together,
today I was looking for desmidacae in a moor and instead I found some Arcella amoebas. Here I show a picture of an empty housing.

Bob
Attachments
Arcella 3-1024.jpg
Arcella 3-1024.jpg (489.58 KiB) Viewed 3567 times

geos

Re: Arcella amoeba - empty housing

#2 Post by geos » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:49 am

Great colour and detail. What magnification?

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:35 am

Hi,
image taken with the Zeiss Jena 40:1 0,95 Apo dry objective, stacked from about 30 shots, Zeiss DIC "alt". The size of the Arcella is 120µ.

Bob

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Nice image! That is a pretty good lens. Do you have a photo of it?

Think I just found it ...

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... naObj.html
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:25 pm

The objective you show is a variation of a really old pre WW2 Zeiss Jena design. It was also available from Lomo, probably produced on clapped out Zeiss machines.
I used a more modern 45mm version in brushed chrome look, probably from around 1970. I haven't compared these designs thoroughly, but my impression is that the newer version offers a flatter field.
The Optovar of the Phomi makes this objective more useful because the extra resolution can actually be used.
It is nice as a strong objective on a dry-only-nosepiece. On the oil-nosepiece I have a Zeiss West 40:1 0,85 which is also very nice and gives more overview when looking for an object.

Bob

Sauerkraut

#6 Post by Sauerkraut » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:09 pm

That's a very interesting Amoeba and a nice image.

The Cell Biology book I'm reading states that Amoebas have over 10 to the 11th power of nucleotide pairs per haploid genome. As a comparison, humans have between 10 to the 9th and 10th nucleotide pairs per haploid genome. Interesting.

Radazz

#7 Post by Radazz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:55 pm

Beautiful image, MB!
Arnold, Missouri
Olympus IX70
Olympus BX40
Olympus SZ40

Bruce Taylor

#8 Post by Bruce Taylor » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:54 pm

Great image, MicroBob!
sectionpedia wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:52 am

Arcella amoebae are a group of single-celled protists found in the oceans. They are an important part of the food chain, but they also have a negative effect on humans and other sea creatures. Arcella amoebae are very small and can be difficult to see under a microscope. They live in tide pools or in underwater caves and are found mostly near the shoreline where there is plenty of light and food.

The life cycle of arcella amoebae involves two phases: the free-living stage, which lasts from one to three days; and the parasitic phase, which lasts from three to six months. The free-living stage is characterized by rapid movement within the water column as well as movement on land or within other organisms such as sponges or barnacles. Once inside another animal, an arcella amoeba enters into a dormant state known as diapause for several weeks until conditions become favorable for reproduction.
@sectionpedia Perhaps you are confusing Arcella with another taxon? ;) There are a few parasitic members of the phylum Amoebozoa, but Arcella is certainly not among them!

Members of the genus Arcella (and its sister genus Galeripora) are not typically "found in the oceans". They are free-living freshwater organisms, found mainly in ponds, lakes, mosses and soils. They are particularly abundant in sphagnum bogs. A few species have been recorded in brackish or estuarine waters, but not in truly marine conditions.

They are quite harmless to humans and other animals. They do not have a parasitic phase, and prey on nothing larger than small algae and bacteria. At all stages of life, they are confined to their proteinaceous shells (even when they form resting cysts).
Last edited by Bruce Taylor on Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imkap

#9 Post by imkap » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:03 pm

Excellent image...