Lacrymaria, pluerostomatid and pretty ciliates

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
mintakax

Lacrymaria, pluerostomatid and pretty ciliates

#1 Post by mintakax » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:08 am

I spent several hours finding a Lacrymaria specimen to video. Several times I transferred one to a slide, observed it in a stereo microscope and then was unable to find it once the slide was on my BHS instrument. They seemed to just vanish. I realized after a while that they rush to the edges of the slide, get stuck, retract their necks and turn into a small ball. I finally caught up with this for enough time to record some video. I also added a cool pluerostomatid ( don't know which). I am enthralled by these long thin ciliates. Lacrymaria clips are 20x and 40x Splan Apo, the other ciliate clip is 40x.

https://vimeo.com/369062481

I also encountered some gorgeously colored ciliates (My guess is Frontonia) that had been eating diatoms. Clips are either 10x or 20x

https://vimeo.com/369063391

75RR

Re: Lacrymaria, pluerostomatid and pretty ciliates

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:02 am

Great videos! You caught the lacrymaria's graceful long neck nicely. Always surprising how bland they look when they retract it.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Bruce Taylor

#3 Post by Bruce Taylor » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:38 pm

Really exceptional microscopy!

Lacrymaria like to hide in makeshift shelters, such as clumps of debris or old arthropod cuticles. From there, they can safely send out their extendable mouths, and gather food (if the neck gets bitten off by something, they just grow a new one). That might be why your organisms flee to the edge of the coverslip. They might be seeking shelter. The other possibility is that they crave the more oxygenated water at the edges of the mount.

The colourful diatom-gobblers are indeed Frontonia. They'll eat almost anything (including each other). :)

cheers,

Bruce

mintakax

#4 Post by mintakax » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Thank you Bruce and Glen for watching and your comments ! Pretty much no one in my family wants to watch these videos anymore so I really appreciate your views :).

Wes

#5 Post by Wes » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:38 pm

Is it just me or are you getting better at making these videos. The quality is superb, keep 'em coming!

What is the illumination setup in the second video with the diatom munching ciliates?
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

mintakax

#6 Post by mintakax » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:53 pm

Wes wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:38 pm
Is it just me or are you getting better at making these videos. The quality is superb, keep 'em coming!

What is the illumination setup in the second video with the diatom munching ciliates?
Thank you so much Wes ! Illumination is all DIC.

MicroBob

#7 Post by MicroBob » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Great videos!
Don't worry about family members who don't share your interest. Such special interests like microscop are better shared in a group or in a forum like this. Though one of my sons actually shares my interest in microscopy in so far as he sometimes comes to group meetings and helps me with presenting topics and general organisation.
I think that is a valuable character trait: To be and stay able to to open for opportunities of information and experience that appear. And to use them to the best possible use for oneself and community.
It makes a huge difference whether you end up as a grumpy old guy or an interested old guy.

Bob

mintakax

#8 Post by mintakax » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:06 am

MicroBob wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:56 pm
Great videos!
Don't worry about family members who don't share your interest. Such special interests like microscop are better shared in a group or in a forum like this. Though one of my sons actually shares my interest in microscopy in so far as he sometimes comes to group meetings and helps me with presenting topics and general organisation.
I think that is a valuable character trait: To be and stay able to to open for opportunities of information and experience that appear. And to use them to the best possible use for oneself and community.
It makes a huge difference whether you end up as a grumpy old guy or an interested old guy.

Bob
Thanks Bob.... Good advice ! I wonder if there is a microscopy group anywhere near me. I'm going to do some research :)

einman

#9 Post by einman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:25 am

Incredible videos. Very nicely done!

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:38 am

Not my area, but had a couple of watches of theses videos. The second video is simply superb and as others have said, your technique is very good indeed and makes for a very interesting video.
The 3D nature and internal details are beautifully caught and I also like the other 'bit' that upon 'coming along-side' one ciliate, was shot-away by the currents created by the cilia! Lovely clarity and sharpness, great detail!

You've a certain talent I suspect for the microscopy and the arrangement of videos such as this, keep up the good work, I'd like to see more!
Last edited by mrsonchus on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

mintakax

#11 Post by mintakax » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks so much mrsonchus and einman !