Ecosphere under the Microscope

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
micro

Ecosphere under the Microscope

#1 Post by micro » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mzuyf0xPpE&t

I made an ecosphere with a jar and water I got from a pond. You are supposed to leave ecospheres in indirect sunlight. I put mine by a window and thought maybe the light was indirect enough. But it turned out the light was more direct so it overheated and the animals died. There was a snail and lots of other little creatures but after a week or so they died from too much sunlight. I let the ecosphere sit for about a month in the same spot. I decided to restart the ecosphere but before emptying it out I looked at the water in my microscope. Turns out it wasn't so dead after all.
When I opened it up a ton of bubbles floated to the top from under the dirt so I definitely disturbed the ecosphere a lot. I need to take samples from the plants and dirt next time.
I didn't have the camera connected to my monitor so I didn't realize the focus was so bad. Next time I open the ecosphere I'll do a better job adjusting the focus.

WhyMe

Re: Ecosphere under the Microscope

#2 Post by WhyMe » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:11 pm

Very cool!

mintakax

Re: Ecosphere under the Microscope

#3 Post by mintakax » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:28 pm

Nice documentation ! Things are always changing it seems, some things die out... others seem to thrive.