How to do Polarization Microscopy

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
stitchy.mitch

How to do Polarization Microscopy

#1 Post by stitchy.mitch » Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 am

Hello all,

I produced a video which may be helpful to those who are curious about polarization microscopy, or would like to get started themselves.

I have posted it on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTHBrV8 ... oFYxRCTMYM

PeteM

Re: How to do Polarization Microscopy

#2 Post by PeteM » Tue May 19, 2020 2:10 am

Nicely done and useful. Thanks, Mitch.

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Tue May 19, 2020 8:19 am

Great to see a good introductory piece ... Thank You

The available texts seem to jump rapidly from trivial to incomprehensible :oops:

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

microbob3

#4 Post by microbob3 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Great job and thanks so much for sharing'
Thanks for your time and effort to show this. I am kind of new to this. I assume this only works with a Compound microscope or can a stereo scope be use. Placement of the filters would be helpful ' I do not know if I can even put a filter above the objective 'on top of the condenser yes. Thanks and look forward to more.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Tue May 19, 2020 10:03 pm

It can also work with a stereo microscope, with a transmitted illumination base.

One polarizer goes below the specimen. Another one goes above the specimen. You try to keep them well away from a focal plane (the specimen, mainly), so dirt and imperfections in the filter itself don't show up.

You'd typically need a stereo microscope with a transmitted stage. There's also polarization for reflected light, but that requires a polarization over a collimated illumination source.

microbob3

#6 Post by microbob3 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 pm

Could you please explain transmitted stage, My Stereo scope has a bottom light and a top light. Thanks

RobBerdan

#7 Post by RobBerdan » Wed May 27, 2020 8:15 pm

Hi I watched your video, it is very well done with lots of good information. Videos take a lot of time in my experience though I hope to be doing more in the future myself. I like how you made the microscope cover come off :-)

One of the things in polarization microscopy that can really enhance the colours is the use of retardation plates 1\4 and full wave, but the cheaper plastic or acrylic ones are difficult to source - if you know of a good source of full wave retardation filters I would like to know so I can recommend them to others. Many folks don't know how easy it is to add polarization to almost any microscope and even a stereo microscope.

Most professional polarization microscopes come with the retardation plates and a quartz wedge, but these "filters" can be expensive. Scotch tape, plastic wrap of various type, and even plastic CD covers can sometimes mimic these wave plates to enhance colour between the polarizers.

A new technique called Polychromatic polarization enhances birefrigence in specimens where it is small e.g. Diatoms - but I have not been able to replicate the researchers technique, probably because he uses Achromatic retarders that cost over a $1000 each.
If interested in learning about Polychromatic Polarization microscopy you can read about it here:
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep17340

Well done video I will link from some articles on my site to your video in the future.
Nice job!
RB

PS I have an article on my web site about making crystals if this might be of interest - including Beer crystals: https://www.canadiannaturephotographer. ... light.html

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Thu May 28, 2020 2:41 am

microbob3 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 pm
Could you please explain transmitted stage, My Stereo scope has a bottom light and a top light. Thanks
One where light can be transmitted through a specimen - which sounds like what you have.

You need a polarizer above - and below - the specimen. Best if they're far away from the image plan, so imperfections or dust on the polarizer itself don't show up in the image. Many stereo microscopes have a threaded portion below the objective (to take Barlow lenses etc.) and that's a good place for the top polarizer. Between the transmitted light source and your glass stage for the other. One will need to rotate.