Rocks, Minerals and Fossils

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Roldorf

Rocks, Minerals and Fossils

#1 Post by Roldorf » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:35 am

Just working through the samples from our latest field trip to the Harz mountains and trying to figure out how to measure and present them.

Here is my first attempt based on how I displayed the pollen series of posts. The main image is a closeup of the mineral with a scale bar added.
The scale bar size was arrived at by taking a photo of a micrometer scale under the scope at the same zoom level as the main image, then copy and paste into the main image in Photoshop.

The inlay image is a zoomed out area showing the Baryte crystal structure.
Images were taken with a Sony RX 100 MK I compact camera with a 22 mpx sensor by placing the lens over the eyepiece and hand-holding it in place.
The Microscope is an Optika Stereo.

Edit:- My wife says I should point out that the two images are from the front and rear of a sample I hacked off with a hammer from a large piece (So I could fit it under the scope).

Last edited by Roldorf on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

75RR

Re: Rocks, Minerals and Fossils

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:42 am

Interesting. Like the context inset image as well. Would that be 3 materials or just the two you mention?
Images were taken with a Sony RX 100 MK I compact camera with a 22 mpx sensor by placing the lens over the eyepiece and hand-holding it in place.
Have you looked into some sort of holder that will avoid the camera shake and give a sharper image?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

microbob3

#3 Post by microbob3 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:38 pm

I also use my stereo for imaging minerals rocks and meteorites. Nice image and like how you did the scale ruler in the image. Nice

Roldorf

#4 Post by Roldorf » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi 75RR
I have looked at holders but couldn't find anything at the moment, will need more thinking about especially as the eyepiece head moves up and down when focusing. The biggest problem with the focus is the small screen on the camera. There is also an HDIM out on the camera but I have not tried to see if the camera will still take a photo when the HDMI is connected. I will have to give it a try. The images are from the front and back face of the mineral.

Hi Microbob3
The micrometer scale is fairly easy as long as you take it at the same zoom level as the image you want to place it in and don't scale or crop the images in Photoshop before combining them. Give it a try and have fun.

ImageImage

dtsh

#5 Post by dtsh » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Roldorf wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:02 pm
Hi 75RR
I have looked at holders but couldn't find anything at the moment, will need more thinking about especially as the eyepiece head moves up and down when focusing.

I have had a few of similar design over the years and the cheap plastic cellphone to eyepiece adaters work pretty well. I have an older one machined from aluminum as well; however, it is significantly heavier than the plastic ones. The only issue I have encountered is that many of them will not clamp down small enough to fit many of the smaller eyepieces without some shims/padding/spacer, but otherwise they work remarkably well. I have some eyepieces with rubber caps which need removed to use withthe clamp-adapter.

Not endorsing this particular one, but one like this have worked acceptably for me and are less than $10 including shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cellph ... lp_pl_dp_5

Roldorf

#6 Post by Roldorf » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:04 pm

Good idea I have a couple of old car mounts I will have to take a look at, thanks for the tip. :)

ImageImage