Opinions and ideas sought for my new website

Write test posts here. This is the place to experiment with the forum. I may delete the contents from time to time.
mrsonchus

Opinions and ideas sought for my new website

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:16 am

Hi all, I've made a little progress with my shiny new website and would be pleased if anyone has the time to visit it and simply 'try it out' for me.
I'm not trying to advertise, just get some feedback on the very small and basic start that I've been able to make now that the early and numerous problems (due in major part it mus be said, to my total ignorance of all things re starting a website.... :oops: ) are rapidly being overcome - the dreaded BT system's e-mail, their editing platform, a total lack of any 'support' from BT beyond their laughably circular website - the list is a very long one! But when all's said and done it does work and is very reasonably priced at £6 per month.
It was also as they say - "my bad" as well as theirs ... :oops:

Anyway - if anyone gets a couple of minutes to visit my new-born site and simply move around in it and has any ideas for things I may include please have a visit and let me know your thoughts - it's not going to be just about selling (slides) but about microscopy and micro-technique in general - it's from here I plan to make available downloads of basic techniques that greatly enhance enjoyment of microscopy without the need to carry out the full histological processing that I am lucky enough to have the time to pursue.

So, if you get a chance have a quick look - all comments and ideas welcome - they don't need to be exclusively complementary, just let me know - good or bad... :D

p.s. prepare to be underwhelmed - it's a very small and plain start - but I need to get the basics in place before I get fancy or complicated! :D :) Thanks all. :)

Aha - the web-site's address is 'mrsonchus.co.uk' of course! ;)
John B

zzffnn

Re: Opinions and ideas sought for my new website

#2 Post by zzffnn » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:27 am

On my Android phone, the last two photo descriptions are too close to each other. http://mrsonchus.co.uk/services-2.html More space in between them would help. But this may not an issue on a regular computer screen.

"pictures" and "slide pictures" seem to show the same content, except "slide pictures" cannot be opened as larger version "in a new tab" on my Android phone.

I am nit–picking really.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:31 am

zzffnn wrote:On my Android phone, the last two photo descriptions are too close to each other. http://mrsonchus.co.uk/services-2.html More space in between them would help. But this may not an issue on a regular computer screen.

"pictures" and "slide pictures" seem to show the same content, except "slide pictures" cannot be opened as larger version "in a new tab" on my Android phone.

I am nit–picking really.
Great zz' that's exactly the kind of info I need - it helps me to understand how the editor etc works - at this stage I'm very pleased that the whole thing actually runs OK without seizing-up or hanging! Very helpful information old chap - much appreciated. :D :)
John B

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:48 am

It would be nice, if one can receive a "message sent successfully" confirmation, after hitting the "send message" bottom. But I understand it is not always possible.

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 am

I use Firefox and there is not much to see when I look.

Anyone else use Firefox? Do you have the same problem?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

actinophrys

#6 Post by actinophrys » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:40 am

Trying a few different browsers, it looks like when the main window is relatively wide, the main links (Home through Slide Pictures) appear straight right from the main title, so are easily hidden by scrolling. When the browser window is narrow they are replaced by a menu bar. This looks ok in Chrome, but in Firefox and IE jumps down a fair bit when expanded, again making it easier to overlook the contents.

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:16 am

actinophrys wrote:Trying a few different browsers, it looks like when the main window is relatively wide, the main links (Home through Slide Pictures) appear straight right from the main title, so are easily hidden by scrolling. When the browser window is narrow they are replaced by a menu bar. This looks ok in Chrome, but in Firefox and IE jumps down a fair bit when expanded, again making it easier to overlook the contents.
Yes it's definitely too wide at those menu drop-downs - I've put the last two 'outside' the normal area I think - soon put that right. Also I'm going to use a narrower 'layout' as there are many options that may be tried without loosing any info - it's a learning experience for certain - very early days and the feedback is very valuable indeed to me, thanks. :)
John B

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:19 am

75RR wrote:I use Firefox and there is not much to see when I look.

Anyone else use Firefox? Do you have the same problem?
Hmm, perhaps it's the width - the current layout is way too wide I'm certain. A layout more to the middle 2/3 would I think be better - I've been looking at a few sites and have quite a few layouts to try - I need simplicity and versatility first I think - thanks for the help old chap. :)
John B

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:22 am

zzffnn wrote:It would be nice, if one can receive a "message sent successfully" confirmation, after hitting the "send message" bottom. But I understand it is not always possible.
Yes, feedback (e.g. confirmation of sent message) is definitely possible - the finished version will have a 'thank you for your message' type of event attached. Many possibilities - Thanks zz' - all very useful pointers to help me get the basics in place. :)
John B

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:24 am

zzffnn wrote:On my Android phone, the last two photo descriptions are too close to each other. http://mrsonchus.co.uk/services-2.html More space in between them would help. But this may not an issue on a regular computer screen.

I am nit–picking really.
Yes they are horribly crammed - but just a layout tweak - the 'mechanics' of the page's elements seems to be promising. A few pages such as I've put together with folks' feedback are a superb way to learn this tricky task - thanks for the valuable help. :)
John B

Johann

#11 Post by Johann » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:55 am

Hi John,

Looking good :)

Maybe look at your header from branding perspective - you can get a nice logo designed for a few dollars using something like http://fiverr.com - this could also help to open up space for the menu.
Also, try to include hyperlinks in your content when referencing other parts of your site: ie: "If you like what you've seen please comment using the contact-form on the 'Home' page - if you would like to purchase any slides please enquire via the same form & page."

Are you familiar with WordPress? I suggest using WordPress for this kind of site. Will make your life a lot easier in the long run - lots of free templates and modules to use :) If you need help setting up a WP site let me know I'll gladly help.
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

billbillt

#12 Post by billbillt » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi John.
i think it looks great for a starter.. My only complaint was the width problem, already mentioned.. I use Chrome as a browser.. I have to scroll to the right to access your photos...

BillT

gekko

#13 Post by gekko » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:49 pm

My screen is 1024 x 768 pixels, and I use Firefox as my web browser. Here is what I see:

People who use newer monitors with higher horizontal pixel counts may well see the whole page width without scrolling.
I hope this is useful feedback.

mrsonchus

#14 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks bill & gekko - yes that's how it looks on my Chrome browser too - I got a little carried away adding 'navigation items' at the top! :oops: I'll take those away - the designer software clearly shows/ed me (with the below frame borders) the limits of a sensible page - daft thing for me to do!

I'll make some more adjustments this evening and put up another quick message that it's changed - I'm very grateful for you chaps taking the time to help me with this - it's totally new to me, but is going well. It shouldn't be too long before a basic and functional site is born!

Lots of help is coming in to me from this fine forum - thanks all you're a very kind and generous band! :D :D :)
John B

mrsonchus

#15 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:11 pm

Johann wrote:Hi John,

Looking good :)

Maybe look at your header from branding perspective - you can get a nice logo designed for a few dollars using something like http://fiverr.com - this could also help to open up space for the menu.
Also, try to include hyperlinks in your content when referencing other parts of your site: ie: "If you like what you've seen please comment using the contact-form on the 'Home' page - if you would like to purchase any slides please enquire via the same form & page."

Are you familiar with WordPress? I suggest using WordPress for this kind of site. Will make your life a lot easier in the long run - lots of free templates and modules to use :) If you need help setting up a WP site let me know I'll gladly help.
Very helpful indeed Johann - the BT (British Telecom) web-site hosting platform has options to download and use WordPress also - something I'm very interested in doing. I'm so new to this though I've kept things as simple as I can while I learn just what all this web-site thing is about and how it's deployed - but WordPress greatly interests me, from the very little I've read about it.

I'll pm you later if I get a chance Johann re website set-up and logistics etc if I may. :D :D :)
John B

Johann

#16 Post by Johann » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:05 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Johann wrote: I'll pm you later if I get a chance Johann re website set-up and logistics etc if I may. :D :D :)
No problem ;)
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

75RR

#17 Post by 75RR » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:21 pm

I would suggest putting the links under rather than next to the page title banner.

I would also second the motion that you have a look at Wordpress
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mrsonchus

#18 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Yes WordPress sounds interesting, I'll have a read-up on it's use - thanks chaps. :)
John B