pic link test

Write test posts here. This is the place to experiment with the forum. I may delete the contents from time to time.
mrsonchus

pic link test

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:32 pm

Just a couple of image-links to test linking to galleries within my web-site as an alternative to storing images in this forum's server space - larger and more images seem possible this way?

link to small (gallery standard view set to 500x500) pic

link to big (gallery large view - maxes-out at full page width in forum I think) pic

Looks good - this is a handy way to post pictures?
:)

Aha - this is a linked image from a 'BT photo album' I just created - it seems this may be just the job to simply share and store images that I can directly place into my posts - no need to have the complication or commercial undertones attendant when using web-site pages! I think this may do the job - I'll try some more images and see what occurs... :)
and
smaller?

Photo album link, my BT photo' album (open in a new tab or you'll need to back-track through images viewed to get back to this page...)

I should be able to set the image sizes also I think - I don't like these huge ones much - too overpowering! :)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
John B

Crater Eddie

Re: pic link test

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:22 am

It seems to work.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:55 am

Crater Eddie wrote:It seems to work.
CE
Hi Eddie - yes it's looking good but has so many quirks to it that can be quite puzzling..

All I would like to do is have a place within my BT web-site allocated storage where I can put images and share them in the same way as it's so easy to do using Google-Drive - without any overt connection to my website - just a repository over which I have sharing-privilege control. What I don't want is to make it necessary to go into the website just to view some images.

I suppose I'll just have to spend some time getting used to the options - at the moment it's a big heap of confusion I'm afraid... :)
John B

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:49 pm

Another test, this time with 'Google Photos'...

Seems to work, but the address-line is HUGE!......

and another....

Hmmm... :)

Google-photos can produce very nice collages too it seems...

:)

Yes, I like the look of this 'Google-Photos' thingy - but Flickr has all those nice user-groups, hmmm..
John B

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:32 pm

A test of a link to a shared folder in my 'Google Photos' storage..
A shared folder

Yes I like this version with the name - I just need to remember the syntax now! :D

Hmm, another BT photo-album link to a picture direct,
John B

McConkey

#6 Post by McConkey » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:31 am

I must admit i really do like seeing the bigger images! If you can get a bigger image posted and doesn't take up the websites server space, i'd say you've won! Nice images as always!
Karl
AO21 with Canon M3

billben74

#7 Post by billben74 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:21 pm

New trick used to good effect. Nice pics.

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi Bill, thank you old friend. :)

A quick tip with this 'picture via link' thingy -
If you have for example a number of pictures uploaded to Google-Photos they will all be, initially in one 'big heap'. As with most picture library-type applications it's then easy to organize them into 'collections', 'sets', 'albums' etc. - all of these are logical of course.

Individual pictures can be shared on a per-picture basis, but pretty soon you'll want to share from within 'albums' etc. So, the tip, creating the shared album and populating it with your pictures is simple enough.

For this forum and posts I usually need to put individual pictures into the posts of course, and the information needed between the 'image' tags that are placed within your post by the clicking the forum's button provided will need to be the address of the image that you want to appear in your post - simple enough.
But there's a little catch, when viewing your pictures online in say Google-Photos you can simply 'right-click' on a picture to get it's image-address - and this will be the one to put into your post's image tags - but,
You must right-click on the image whilst viewing it, either opened-up or in a list etc, from within the shared folder/album in which is logically resides - this address will inherit the permission to be shared and will then appear within your post just as if it was uploaded to the forum's server for storage there.

If you take the address of a picture when viewing 'outside' of it's shared album or location (for example just at the home-screen of your Google-Photos 'picture-pile' which shows all your images before you have opened any shared album to view the pictures therein) , it will not appear, only the commonly-seen 'broken image icon' will appear.

I learned this the usual way - by having nightmares trying to use picture-linking, until it finally dawned upon me what was going-on!

You probably know this already, but I thought I'd post it as it caused me a lot of wasted time and frustration at the time.... :oops:

Good luck, happy image-linking! :D :D :)
John B