testing Flickr links

Write test posts here. This is the place to experiment with the forum. I may delete the contents from time to time.
Crater Eddie

testing Flickr links

#1 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:34 am

Its a little quirky, but I think I've got it.
Photobucket has become almost unusable in the last few weeks, so I guess I'll be using Flickr from now on.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

Re: testing Flickr links

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:56 am

Looks good to me Eddie, I like the plants too - looks like you've one growing in the 'scope's nosepiece hole!

I now use G-Photos and G-drive for my pictures - I was with Flickr but so many rumours of it's demise put me off a touch.

Looking good! :)
John B

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Well, if Flickr is going the way of Photobucket maybe I had better get a little more modern.
Testing Google Photo here.
Had to fiddle with it quite a bit too, why can't it be as easy as the instructions say it is? Anyway, looks like it worked.
CE
Last edited by Crater Eddie on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:25 pm

All you need really to bear in mind with GP is that references (URLs) must be made from a shared location, for example going to a shared folder then opening a picture to view, then the 'right-click' menu will offer 'copy image's address' - this will give the link that works in the forum etc.... (using the 'Img' forum tag with this address inside it)

That's one beautiful beastie you have there my friend - simply lovely. :)
John B

KurtM

#5 Post by KurtM » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:53 pm

mrsonchus wrote:That's one beautiful beastie you have there my friend - simply lovely. :)
Indeed it is. I've been wondering: does the stage rotate?

(I still want to know if you really tip your UPS driver...)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks John! Yes, that sounds pretty much like what I ended up doing. Boy, that link is a long one!
This last photo is my trusty LOMO Multiscope, with a rotating stage and add-on xy mechanism swapped out for the original mechanical stage.
CE

EDIT:

Oh, hi Kurt! Yes, this stage does rotate. When I got it the infamous Russian Tank Grease had it seized up solid as a rock, but following the excellent instructions found on the Micscape site I was able to free it up.
Well, no, I don't actually tip the UPS drivers with money, but have been known to offer them a cold beverage from time to time.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

KurtM

#7 Post by KurtM » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks, CE. Guess there's probably no such thing as a round stage that doesn't rotate, which is likely why they're round in the first place. :idea:

I need to think of something thoughtful to slip my delivery people. Only cold beverage around here is beer, and don't think that'll fly too well with folks on the clock, driving. :P
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

Crater Eddie

#8 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:04 pm

I find that cold soft drinks are often appreciated during warm weather.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

KurtM

#9 Post by KurtM » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:51 pm

I haven't bought soda pop in years. It just always tasted like malted battery acid to me. :)

But back to the original topic, I have been using Photobucket for some years, particularly as a host for my personal web site photos ( http://www.sawdustfactory.net ). Over this past winter it began malfunctioning to the point of being utterly unusable for uploading new pictures, although existing photos referenced elsewhere continued displaying okay. But lately it seems to have miraculously self healed,and returned to reliable service giving no further trouble. I hope this continues, as moving and re-referencing all those photos would be a real PITA. At any rate, PB certainly seems to have gone downhill from what it once was.

I have also used Flickr for years, but it seems to have a quirky way of doing business that's fine for online photo albums, but a poor choice for web hosting of photos for use in forums and such.

The point of the above comments is, if you wanna talk about how you're getting along with Google Photos, I for one will be very interested in hearing about it.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

Crater Eddie

#10 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:13 pm

The odd thing about PhotoBucket, I cannot upload any new photos to it from any of my devices at home except on very rare occasions. My desktop at work has no problem. I have cleared my cache, all cookies, everything I can think of at home, all to no avail. As you say, existing links to PB still seem to work fine. It is a little unhandy this way, so something has to change. I have resisted using Google Photos until this point, as it seems to want to be a global "do everything everywhere for everybody" kind of thing, and that kind of rubs me the wrong way. However, one must move with the times I suppose, so I'm giving it a shot. John seems to have been using it for a while, perhaps he'll chime in with a few observations.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

hkv

#11 Post by hkv » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:04 pm

I use flickr and dropbox. Both works perfect. Never any issues
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

75RR

#12 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:01 pm

The only problems I have encountered with Photobucket are the need to have cookies allowed in order to sign in,
the Photobucket Subscriber popup (annoying but fortunately only appears once when you sign in) and the size limit of 1024 x 768
If I want something larger I use imgur.com
I drag and drop to upload in both.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KurtM

#13 Post by KurtM » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:...Google Photos ... seems to want to be a global "do everything everywhere for everybody" kind of thing, and that kind of rubs me the wrong way.
Yep, same here. John B appears to have a much better grasp of all this new technology than me, so he doesn't count (juuust kidding!! :lol: ). Been meaning to give Imgur a closer look since Gekko, and now 75RR, seem partial to it. But now I guess I better check out Dropbox, per HKV, as I have used it for transferring files and never had a bit of trouble.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

75RR

#14 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:11 pm

But now I guess I better check out Dropbox, per HKV, as I have used it for transferring files and never had a bit of trouble.
I find it works well for file sharing, but does not link images unless you signed up before the changes.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KurtM

#15 Post by KurtM » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:10 am

I signed up for Dropbox in 2010 or so for transferring CAD files, haven't used it lately, so I checked it today. Found I already have a few photo folders with a smattering of photo files in them. So I tried right-clicking on one, chose copy image address, then paste and go in a new tab - and it downloads an "unspecified" file of some sort. Unspecified is actually the file name, and it isn't a picture, just some strange little 116 kb file. Wonder what's up with that?
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

Crater Eddie

#16 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:23 am

Suddenly PB is working again. I don't trust it to last though.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)