1. No bad language. Posts that contain bad language will be deleted without warning.
2. No personal attacks of any kind.
3. No criticism of products that you are not satisfied with. This is for legal protection.
4. No plagiarism of any kind. This includes the upload of images that you do not own.
5. No posts that are not microscopy-related.
6. Keep image size appropriate. Crop away parts that are not relevant.
7. If possible use an external image hosting site and then link the image to save server space (which is limited per user anyway).
8. No posts with the only intent of advertising. Sometimes links are to products are useful for microscopy. In this case I will make a decision.
9. Search the forum first for answers to your questions before you post a question.Accessing the site
There are two Web addresses that you can use, and both lead to this very forum:
Welcome to the new microscopy forum! The procedure for registering is very straight forward:
1. Click the "Register" link in the top left corner.
2. Agree to the Terms and Conditions
3. Fill in username, password and email
4. Type in the code
5. Confirm by clicking the link in the email.
6. You have to type the answer to a question as an anti-spam measure. The slide is placed on the stage.Inserting pictures
There are two ways of making pictures visible inside one post.
1. You can upload a picture to an external image hosting service (Photobucket, Flickr, etc.) and then include the link to the picture inside the post. Copy paste the complete link (including the beginning http://) and then surround the link with the [img]and[/img] tags. This is the preferred method. You have a lot of storage space available, because the forum itself does not have to host the pictures. Image size is also not limited and you can include as many images per post as you want. These external servers are also large and fast and can handle much data more efficiently. Note, that DropBox does not allow for direct image embedding anymore! If you want to embed images from Photobucket, then copy the link listed in the "Direct" box and place it between the [img]and[/img] tags.
2. You can upload pictures to the forum. Below the edit box there is the option to upload attachments. Select the picture that you want to upload ("choose file") and then upload it. you can also add a caption to each image. There is a limit to 5 pictures per post, each picture can not be larger than 512KB and can not be larger than 1024x1024. Larger images take much loading time and can not be displayed properly inside the available space. If these size requirement are not met, then it will not upload. There is also a maximum storage space allocated to each user. These restrictions are necessary, otherwise there is not enough server space available. I might have to adjust these values, however. This is not the most flexible method if you want to present many pictures. It is really important, that you do not upload pictures which you did not make yourself (copyright issue). To manage your files, you have to visit the User Control Panel (UCP) on the top right corner. After the upload, select the picture from the dropdown list below the edit box and click "Place inline".Inserting Youtube videos
Directly copy-pasting the youtube link into the edit box will not display the video (it will only show a link to the video, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XROxpVE5rEg
). This is for security reasons. If you want to embed a video, so that it actually shows up, then you must follow the following steps: