Is there an annoying 'robo editor' of posts we may take more than four minutes to type out?!!

Post recommendations here. This is also the place where announcements will be made.
charlie g

Is there an annoying 'robo editor' of posts we may take more than four minutes to type out?!!

#1 Post by charlie g » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi all...I seek coments, I seek advice from all!

Apochronaught launched a wonderful thread recently on 60X dry objectives and discussion of lower immersion objectives...eg: 40X, 50X, 60X oiled, or water objectives..and whom uses which.

By the time I brought out the specs for my objectives to post reply...when I hit: 'submit'...I was asked to log in...and the post I typed was gone!

Then today in a nice thread on fogged cover slips...when I hit 'submit'...a tool bar prompt':' someone just submitted a post...do you want to review that post before you submit?

So I hit submit...and my post launched to the forum thread.

I ask of what use was/is this prompt...other than to hurry along short posts?

I ask...has anyone ( my microscope and cluttered study are down stairs, our computer bench is upstairs) had the block of: 'log in'..and then found that their post is 'disappeared'?

all the best, charlie guevara

DaveH

Re: Is there an annoying 'robo editor' of posts we may take more than four minutes to type out?!!

#2 Post by DaveH » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi Charlie

I have the same problam all the time, as posting is not my best subject my rewritten posts are usually shorter and contain less information, that's why I may appear short from time to time.
The only way I have found to solve the problem is to type slower to allow thinking time whilst typing.

Dave

charlie g

Re: Is there an annoying 'robo editor' of posts we may take more than four minutes to type out?!!

#3 Post by charlie g » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Sorry to hear you have encountered a version of this 'robo editor', DaveH. I once was ...err...assembling a post...and had trouble having my image included...when I hit 'submit'...the post just disappeared.

It's to my experience often a time issue..it seems if a post takes more than a length of time to assemble...I am asked to log in...and the post is disappeared.

But why should a 'robo editor' stop me when I hit: 'submit'..to tell me: 'a post has just been submitted, do you want to review that post before submitting your post?'?! charlie guevara

rnabholz

#4 Post by rnabholz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:59 pm

That can be exasperating for sure.

One way to avoid that it to use a separate application, like Word Pad, or even Word to type your response, then copy and paste it into the forum composition window and hit submit.

Not very handy, but beats typing it again by a long shot.

Rod

KurtM

#5 Post by KurtM » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Yes, I think we've all run into the problem in one form or another. My solution is to copy everything to the clipboard periodically, so I can paste it back in case it goes away. The easy way to do it is by holding the Ctrl key down with left pinky finger while tapping the A key with index finger (Ctrl + A = Select All in computergeek lingo), then the C key while continuing to hold the Ctrl key (Ctrl + C = Copy). Then mouse click out of highlight, or hit the up or down arrow or End or whatever other key.

It takes 1/2 second once you get used to it. The hardest part is remembering to do it. Works for me.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

billbillt

#6 Post by billbillt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:51 pm

I have never had this problem about the "log in" interfering with posting.. There is a setting somewhere for "keep me logged in" or "remember me", but I can't find it right now... That seems to work for me..

BillT

billbillt

#7 Post by billbillt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:55 pm

After highlighting,
Ctrl + C = Copy..
Ctrl + V = Paste..

This method is very fast and works for me..
BillT

billbillt

#8 Post by billbillt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:02 pm

There is a "remember me" box to check on the login page... This seems to work..

BillT

admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by admin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Hello,
The posts disappearing could be due to the 1-hour inactivity session timeout of the forum. While you type your post, the forum thinks that you are inactive because no data is sent over the Internet to the server. The forum will therefore log you out after 1 hour. This is necessary, because otherwise there are too many open sessions, which the server can not handle and it is also important for security reasons. I Googled for this problem and this seems to be a common issue. Some administrators set the session to 24 hours and were then forced to set it back to 1 hour because the server could not handle it.

If you intend to write longer posts (over 1 hour), I also recommend that you type it out in a wordprocessor or in notepad first and then copy paste it. This also allows you to see if another user has posted something in the meantime.

Oliver.
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:04 pm

I often post long posts but almost never have this happen, Splitting them into multiples would re-set the timer perhaps each time a section was posted - I always duplicate the tab also in Chrome as soon as I've put in enough time and effort to start to worry about having to start again. Also if you've no images, you can save a draft which is handy and again will probably re-set the timer? I think the duplication of the tab in browser is a quick way to have a copy to hand?

When it does happen though I do start muttering a bit I must admit! :D

Lately I post in smaller pieces or section-like chunks simply as a series of posts to myself within a thread, it also enables others that may be online to follow almost as I'm writing it out....
:D
John B

charlie g

#11 Post by charlie g » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:13 am

Thank you, Oliver, BillT,JohnB et al...no way am I doodeling for an hour!! So Oliver's kind thoughts don't apply...but I indeed need to 'get a life'..and as I often think...get my err seat off our computer bench chair and get on with life!

I especially ponder how with JohnB's excellent lab seminars we often relish ( I kick my shoes off...and I never leave litter in John's lab)...it has not occurred for his posting.

Likewise Phils wonderful posts seem to demand more time than me scampering downstairs to record specs on a clutch of objective barrels...then to again plop my...err...seat at the computer to complete and submit a post.

I can't imagine any online forum permitting a 24 hour conection to a member channeling a burning post! But I doubt I'd ever fuss for an hour to send a post to all this communities thoughtful microscopists.

So I take heart in hearing that it 'sort of happens to others'...and thank you, Oliver for this community platform! charlie guevara.

charlie

#12 Post by charlie » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:47 am

admin wrote:The forum will therefore log you out after 1 hour. This is necessary, because otherwise there are too many open sessions, which the server can not handle.
Oops, I have been staying logged while going shopping or whatever. Sorry Oliver!

Oliver

#13 Post by Oliver » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:23 am

Other sites suggested that it might also be worth trying to clear your browser cookies (history). This forces the forum to reset the cookies which it needs for timing.

Oliver
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

DaveH

#14 Post by DaveH » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:58 am

Just a quick thought may be of no use at all, but years ago if the screen saver became active it would log you out of anything you were logged in to, don't know abought these days as I still live in the dark age with an old operating system and don't use a screen saver.

Dave

charlie g

#15 Post by charlie g » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:25 pm

I again thank all for the sense that it has happened to others..I'm feeling better about the robo-editor.

Lastly..please opine of what purpose is the robo-pause of submitted posts which states:'another post has just been submitted, do you wish to review that post before you submitt your post?'>

All the best...about 30 degrees F all last n ight..we had the wood stove going. charlie guevara, finger lakes,US
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (88.19 KiB) Viewed 14765 times

75RR

#16 Post by 75RR » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:02 pm

Lastly..please opine of what purpose is the robo-pause of submitted posts which states:'another post has just been submitted, do you wish to review that post before you submitt your post?'
I believe it is there in case the new post has information that relates to what you were about to post, say it answers a question or poses another.

That ice looks thick - how many inches?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#17 Post by gekko » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:08 pm

75RR wrote:
Lastly..please opine of what purpose is the robo-pause of submitted posts which states:'another post has just been submitted, do you wish to review that post before you submitt your post?'
I believe it is there in case the new post has information that relates to what you were about to post, say it answers a question or poses another....
... so you have a chance to revise your post if you wish.

75RR

#18 Post by 75RR » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:31 pm

Ha! Knew you were psychic. You are finishing my sentences. ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#19 Post by gekko » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:02 am

75RR wrote:
Ha! Knew you were psychic. You are finishing my sentences. ;)
   :D

charlie g

#20 Post by charlie g » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:33 pm

Did either you,75RR, or gecko...get that 'robo interrupt:would you like to review a post which was just made?'? I ask as you indeed finishing eachothers sentences...joke, joke.

Again thanks for the coments...and to 75RR...no...the habitats ice only reached an inch along the lower areas periphery.

The sheet over the upper biofilter micro-wetlands is 'thin as a ritz cracker'. And it's all gone today (Mon. 12/21/15).

Charlie Guevara, finger lakes,US