Off Topics posts

Post recommendations here. This is also the place where announcements will be made.
admin
Site Admin

Off Topics posts

#1 Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:02 am

Dear Forum members,

This is a truly very active forum! The statistics say that there are about 40 new posts every day and 5 new topics started. Currently the database holds about 18089 posts in 2197 topics. Considering that the new forum has been up an running for not much more than one year, I consider this quite remarkable. I would like to thank all forum members for their active contributions. I have to admit that I sometimes find it difficult to keep up with the rapid development - there are simply so many interesting posts to read!

This rapid growth also has some drawbacks. It is becoming more and more difficult to keep an overview on what's going on in the different threads. Recently there have been some non-microscopy related posts and threads in the forum. These off-topic posts make it a bit difficult for people who are exclusively interested in microscopy to find the relevant topics. I have now created a new section called "Off-topic" and moved these threads into this section. The problem is, that off-topic posts still appear when clicking on the "Unread posts" link on the top right, which makes it more difficult to filter the information. I therefore would like to request that forum members post microscopy-related topics and use the off-topic section sparingly.

I do not know how many forum members would be also interested in another more general amateur science forum, one which covers areas other than microscopy. It is not a problem for me to start one.

All the best, Oliver
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

KurtM

Re: Off Topics posts

#2 Post by KurtM » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:46 am

Oliver, mere words could never express how much I appreciate all that you give us. Thank you so much!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

Dale

#3 Post by Dale » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:52 am

My sentiments exactly. I am most guilty of getting a bit off topic, albeit not a lot. I now spend
far more time here than Facebook!!!
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi Oliver,
I would very much be interested in another more general amateur science forum!... Please start it!..

The Best,BillT

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi Oliver, you're doing a superb job for us all and every one of us appreciates your efforts. :D The idea of a general-science-orientated forum sounds pretty interesting and I for one would enjoy populating it as it's bound to carry a lot of the fine members of this forum across on occasion! If you can fit it in, lets go! Hussar! :D

Very sincere thanks to you Oliver for all you do for us with this great forum. :)
John B

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:16 pm

I would like to repeat what Kurt said.