Request for Help Please Part II

Post recommendations here. This is also the place where announcements will be made.
JimT

Request for Help Please Part II

#1 Post by JimT » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:59 pm

So what's the next step Oliver? Do we wait to here from you regarding a specific image and then send you copyright assurances and a larger size or do we start sending images to editor@microbehunter.com?
I prefer the former as you know what you are looking for. JimT

The QCC

Re: Request for Help Please Part II

#2 Post by The QCC » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Just like any other published magazine, send your article and images to the Editor.
In this case, editor@microbehunter.com.
The Editor then decides if it will be published and returns a proof for your approval.

If you are sending images, send them as print sized at 300dpi. Any re-sampling needed for different print/display formats will be performed by the publisher.

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Have you done this? Have you had any published?
I was hoping to hear from Oliver so he could say what subjects he is looking for.

The QCC

#4 Post by The QCC » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Yes, I send something in about once a month and that is the process I use.
For the magazine I use the name Carl Hennig.

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:07 pm

The QCC has been a very prolific contributor of articles (with his very interesting images and accompanying text) to the Magazine (I wish I had his creative abilities :) ). Here is a link to Oliver's suggestions on the main MicrobeHunter website that I hope may answer some of your questions: http://www.microbehunter.com/submissions/

JimT

#6 Post by JimT » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:18 am

So you are the famous Carl Hennig.
Gekko, have you had any published?
Oliver has been pretty quiet but he must have some image wants that we could try to do.
JimT

Oliver

#7 Post by Oliver » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:45 pm

Hello,
This forum is so active, that I almost overlooked this thread... Sorry for the late reply.
Basically any method is fine. If I get your OK in advance, then I will simply pull the images posted on the forum and re-use them in the magazine (using your name, etc.). This is only meaningful, if the image size is not too small. It is also possible to send me the images directly (published in the forum or not), and this is then your OK for me to use it in the magazine. I see this more as a form of curtsey to ask for permission, because I also ask the contributors to the forum not to re-publish any pictures for which they do not have the OK. Now, the pictures will not be used for anything else and by giving the permission, you do not lose the copyright of the images, of course.

Just yesterday I got (yet) another email from a commercial magazine requesting for the permission to reuse one of my own images and I always give the OK (they give me credit), because I want the general public to benefit from the pictures. But by giving the OK, I do not transfer the right to reuse the images for other purposes. The same is the case here. Theoretically this would be possible, though (some photographers do that to run a business).

Now is some of you publish on photosharing sites (Flickr, etc), then you might automatically give permission to use the images to the general public (creative commons), so you should read the license agreements before uploading them, if you do not want this to be the case.

Just for clarification, and a very Merry Christmas to all!

Oliver.
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII