Quota issues

Post recommendations here. This is also the place where announcements will be made.
Oliver

Quota issues

#1 Post by Oliver » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Dear forum members,
Several members have experienced quota problems. The forum software limits the upload to 100MB (this is called the "quota") and the maximum storage space that the forum allows per user. I highly encourage all users who experience this issue to register at a free photo hosting site and upload their pictures there. These pictures can then be displayed in this forum by making a simple link into the post. Several users are already doing this, and this also gives more flexibility. One possible photo hosting websites are photobucket.com or 500px.com (Which is used by user "Gekko" - are you satisfied with it?).

The reason for the 100MB limit is because of limited server space. Photohosting companies use large server farms which are able to handle the internet traffic and which are able to store the large amount of data. These sites also provide more storage space and might also not impose the limit to the image size.

Increasing the forum quota limit would not solve the problem, because sooner or later it would still be full and we simply keep pushing the limits.

One theoretical solution would be to delete other images, to free space, but this would then disrupt the thread, as images are then missing from the posts.

Please read this post for additional info: /viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39

Sorry for the inconvenience, but there is currently no way around this.

Greetings, Oliver.
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

gekko

Re: Quota issues

#2 Post by gekko » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Oliver wrote: One possible photo hosting websites are photobucket.com or 500px.com (Which is used by user "Gekko" - are you satisfied with it?).
Well, I was happy with Photobucket when I first used it (for both video and still images), but then they "improved" the software and intrusive advertisements began to appear, and when I log on they even open another instance of the browser with pure advertisements (so that I would have two Firefox browsers open at the same time) which got very annoying. In addition the quality of my uploaded videos dropped significantly for some reason. So now I started to use 500px for images, and vimeo for video and so far I'm happy. They both are free (although one can upgrade for a small fee for more "privileges"). The following Wikipedia link gives an overview of the various sites and may be helpful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ph ... g_websites

lorez

#3 Post by lorez » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:04 pm

I posted this concern a couple of days ago, but I have not posted any photos. I should have a zero balance on my account.

I wonder that there are other issues.

lorez

Oliver

#4 Post by Oliver » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Should work now..... hopefully!
Oliver.
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

The QCC

#5 Post by The QCC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:50 am

I am using a slightly different method.
I place my photos on my hosting web server and upload 640x480 thumbnails of <=80KB to the forum.
These thumbnails are linked to the larger versions on my web site.
After six months the original files are reduced in size while still maintaining the integrity of the links.

The above method would in theory allow for 1200+ photos on the forum sever.