Buying a camera, opinionon SD card please.

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
coominya

Buying a camera, opinionon SD card please.

#1 Post by coominya » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:33 am

I have been researching 4/3 cameras for a while and have arranged to buy an Olympus E-M5 Mark II. I have all the accessories to connect it to my IMT-2 inverted scope, so aside from a spare battery (which comes with it) the only thing I will need is an SD card. I don't want to waste money on a huge capacity one, the company I'm buying through recommends a SanDisk Extreme 32GB SDHC 90MB/s (Class 10) Card and I'm happy to pay for that. Any reason not to buy this one?

MichaelG.

Re: Buying a camera, opinionon SD card please.

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:50 am

That seems a perfectly reasonable choice these days

I am still using 4GB cards in my Lumix G1 ... and 4GB holds 189 frames of 'JPEG + RAW'
... obviously you will use much more if shooting video.

It amuses me to realise that 256MB was an enormous card when I used my Nikon 4500
... and horrifies me to remember the price.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:23 am

Sounds like a very good choice to me also, both in terms of the capacity, which is ample, and the speed that a class-10 will have.

John B.
John B

wporter

#4 Post by wporter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:50 pm

I make it point to use Sandisk whenever I need to buy an SD card. They're outstanding, from my personal perspective; and as long as it's class 10...

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:47 pm

There is quite a percentage of fake SD cards on the market. They report to have a certain capacity, but once you try to us it fully you get to know that it is in reality much less capacity you got. So it is advisable to buy from a reputable dealer or the manufacturer directly. Here is a link to a very good program to test memory cards: https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539 Hint: It ereases all data!

I would choose a card with fast writing speed as nowadays cameras write quit big files, especially in RAW mode. Also the serial capture speed is high today. My Nikon 1J5 takes 20 images á 20 Megapixels in 0,3 seconds! With a so-so card you would affect the responsiveness of the camera.

Bob

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:23 am

coominya wrote:... an Olympus E-M5 Mark II. I have all the accessories to connect it to my IMT-2 inverted scope, so aside from a spare battery (which comes with it) the only thing I will need is an SD card. I don't want to waste money on a huge capacity one...
I find a 32GB memory disk highly adequate.
Incidentally, instead of a spare battery, I use a Canon compatible AC adapter (inexpensive Chinese model from eBay, Canon's original accessories are ferociously expensive). More convenient IMO. But perhaps only mirrorless cameras devour battery energy so much.

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:06 am

Hobbyst46 wrote: I find a 32GB memory disk highly adequate.
Incidentally, instead of a spare battery, I use a Canon compatible AC adapter (inexpensive Chinese model from eBay, Canon's original accessories are ferociously expensive). More convenient IMO. But perhaps only mirrorless cameras devour battery energy so much.
Yes, I also use this in my Canon DSLR mounted atop my 'scope - the 'Canon compatible' ones are in my experience perfectly OK - I've been using one for a couple of years now.

John B.
John B

coominya

#8 Post by coominya » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:08 pm

wporter wrote:I make it point to use Sandisk whenever I need to buy an SD card. They're outstanding, from my personal perspective; and as long as it's class 10...
I'm buying from a premier camera shop and interestingly Sandisk is the Only brand card they sell. Also of note, they have the best price on the camera. Better than the big electrical stores, better than all but the most "feedback challenged" eBay stores.
MicroBob wrote:There is quite a percentage of fake SD cards on the market. They report to have a certain capacity, but once you try to us it fully you get to know that it is in reality much less capacity you got.

Bob
I learnt that lesson at the flea market years ago. Luckily I got a refund. I hate scams.

coominya

#9 Post by coominya » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:04 am

Hobbyst46 wrote: Incidentally, instead of a spare battery, I use a Canon compatible AC adapter
Unfortunately the Olympus has no such provision, though I did receive 2 batteries with it and their lifespan seems quite adequate.