MicrobeHunter.com Microscopy Forum

You can also access this page with: www.microscopy-forum.com
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 7:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 pm 

Hellow Guys I am planing to buy this scope : https://www.amscope.com/7x-45x-simul-fo ... stand.html

And i want to buy also a camera.

I have 3 options.

No1.https://www.amazon.com/Industry-Digital ... uage=en_US

With no Adapter Or Reduction Lens. My trinocular port is 23 mm. So i need an extra 40-50 Us$ Right.

No2.https://www.amscope.com/3mp-usb2-0-micr ... ion_tabbed ---> With Adapter and Reduction Lens Correct?

No3.https://www.amscope.com/3mp-digital-mic ... ion_tabbed --> With Adapter and Reduction Lens Correct?

Which do you think? The first has 14 MP Hdmi/Usb Port Etc.
Second And Third is only USB 3 Mp but has diffrent sensors Right?

Which do you think?

Thank you For Your Time.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 pm 

The microscope is seemingly offered without any illumination source. Folks often recommend Ikea Jansjo desk LED lamps for inexpensive epi-illumination. Also, the stand seemingly does not enable trans-illumination, but maybe you do not need it.

Among the cameras, the two 3MP options are somewhat over-priced in my opinion. I have seen 5MP at lower asking prices.
Also, the second camera (No 2 on your list) appears to have more features than the third one (No 3 on your list). For example, the file types.
No 3 is specified as compliant with Windows 2000 and XP. Although compatibility with many operating systems might be regarded as advantage, and Windows XP was a reliable operating system, Windows 2000 is really obsolete.

I suspect that this camera, No 3, is an old model with not up-to-date electronic hardware. Just my feeling.

A reduction lens is important, otherwise the captured image is much smaller than the viewed image.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:06 pm 

Hobbyst46 wrote:
The microscope is seemingly offered without any illumination source. Folks often recommend Ikea Jansjo desk LED lamps for inexpensive epi-illumination. Also, the stand seemingly does not enable trans-illumination, but maybe you do not need it.

Among the cameras, the two 3MP options are somewhat over-priced in my opinion. I have seen 5MP at lower asking prices.
Also, the second camera (No 2 on your list) appears to have more features than the third one (No 3 on your list). For example, the file types.
No 3 is specified as compliant with Windows 2000 and XP. Although compatibility with many operating systems might be regarded as advantage, and Windows XP was a reliable operating system, Windows 2000 is really obsolete.

I suspect that this camera, No 3, is an old model with not up-to-date electronic hardware. Just my feeling.

A reduction lens is important, otherwise the captured image is much smaller than the viewed image.

Can you recommend me something alternative?
Lets say a 5mp Hdmi/usb Adaptor for 23mm and reduction lens?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:37 pm 

Constantine wrote:
Hobbyst46 wrote:

Can you recommend me something alternative?
Lets say a 5mp Hdmi/usb Adaptor for 23mm and reduction lens?

Thank you.
I am using a fairly inexpensive 5 MP camera, no brand name, USB 2.0, for 23, 30 and 30.5mm, and reduction lens. I can use it on either the stereoscope or the "biological: microscope. Performance is decent, enough for documentation. It cost me less than $60. Sharpness is fine at FOV center, CA is visible but acceptable.
Yet, I would recommend a better camera, because the options on my camera (e.g. white balance settings, type of image files, video speed) are not the
best. USB 2 limits the video rate at gigh resolutions. I mostly shoot stills.

I would try and choose from the Toupcam cameras, their software is very good and I believe the cameras are as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:51 pm 

I don't know if this was the exact amscope head I started out on, but it looks very similar.

I was able to hook my canon rebel up to it with an eyepiece adapter, which worked but had a few issues with hotspots. That probably will be the same with any camera though. You might want to consider a dslr for the camera--a good used canon t6 is 18mp, has good live view and remote shooting with their freely availably eos utility, and should cost around 200 dollars. They are certainly bulkier and adapting one may be more expensive. Still, I think the end result is worth it. I had I think a 5mp amscope camera on my amscope head, and I wasn't very happy with its performance. It also seemed to be interpolating to fake the last bit of resolution, though that may have been a wrong setting or something.

I'd note about the similar amscope I had, overall its performance as a scope was OK, definitely not garbage but not breathtaking either. Of course it's at an attractive price point (especially for a trinocular head), so if you decide to upgrade later you won't be out as much. Don't expect much resale value, just as a heads up. I ended up almost giving mine away, including the basic gemological base it was on.

As a general, obligatory note, you might want to consider a used high-end scope instead of a new medium-end one. I didn't get really excited about stereo microscopy until I upgraded from my similar amscope to a b&l stereozoom 7. I have also found used microscope sales are kind of slow right now, and because of that you might have some luck making offers in your price range on higher-priced used equipment. As an example, here is a stereozoom 7 trinocular scope that comes with a boom stand and a fiber optic illuminator, listed as good condition (so if it comes and is not functional you can return it at their expense). Here is another. And here is a third. All three have high asks, but I suspect at least one might take a low enough offer to fit within your budget. A trinocular SZ7 will need a bit of extra adapting work, but I just put up a thread with instructions on how to adapt a dslr to it, which costs about 100 dollars. If you were to make an offer that kept within your budget you could end up way ahead.
Even if you're stuck on buying amscope, here's a used one (perhaps the same model?) for 270. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AmScope-7X-45X ... 3671821480

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:11 pm 

Scarodactyl wrote:
You might want to consider a dslr for the camera--a good used canon t6 is 18mp, has good live view and remote shooting with their freely availably eos utility, and should cost around 200 dollars. They are certainly bulkier and adapting one may be more expensive. Still, I think the end result is worth it. I had I think a 5mp amscope camera on my amscope head, and I wasn't very happy with its performance. It also seemed to be interpolating to fake the last bit of resolution, though that may have been a wrong setting or something.

I was in the market for a 5 mp microscope camera until you made this good point, Scarodactyl. Can I ask what software you use for stacking and etc or is that included in the EOS utilities? I couldn't readily find info on the T6 shutter type. Are there issues with shutter shake if it's mechanical?

I'm in a similar situation as Constantine - starting from scratch on a camera and with no experience on the specifics. I'd rather spend a little more up front on an imaging system than have to do it twice...or three times.

I've admittedly been a little confused about integrating a camera to the trinocular port, even after watching Oliver's excellent video on the subject, so thank you for any information.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:39 pm 

Sauerkraut wrote:
I've admittedly been a little confused about integrating a camera to the trinocular port, even after watching Oliver's excellent video on the subject, so thank you for any information.

These are links to some articles that Charles Krebs has kindly written to help people set up their cameras.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=882

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:12 pm 

I use helicon for stacking, though there are lots of good options availabke (zerene being another very popular option).
Canon cameras have EFCD (electronic first curtain shutter) when they're in live view mode which cuts vibration issues significantly, which is one reason they're often recommended for microscopy (eg https://www.martinmicroscope.com/eos-details/ )
Adapting a camera is going to vary depending on what microscope you have. On some it is trivial with a few standard adapters and a common prokective (like the nikon smz-10), others take rarer parts or a bit more creativity (b&l sz7, olympus szh), others still are basically one part provided by the manufacturer (navitar). Amscope probably sells a specific adapter for this, though I am not sure what the quality is like in their adapter optics.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:40 pm 

Thank you 75RR and Scarodactyl. This info helps a lot.