Microscope adapter for Casio EX-Z85

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Highplains_Sailor

Microscope adapter for Casio EX-Z85

#1 Post by Highplains_Sailor » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:54 pm

Hello,

My EX-Z85 camer (small Casio hand-held job) is 9.1 MP and I'd like to see how it compares to my current Ken-A-Vision 1401KEM 2 MP PupilCam (which makes very nice microscope videos and stills). Looking for an adapter, and hoping perhaps someone knows where I might find one? No luck yet looking on-line, but I will keep looking.

Thanks!

Joe

Scarodactyl

Re: Microscope adapter for Casio EX-Z85

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:58 pm

The EX-Z85 has a non-interchangeable zoom lens, so your only option is probably an afocal setup, with the camera suspended over a viewing eyepiece and focused to infinity. You may or may not be able to get a good, non-vignetted image that way. Fortunately it should be easy to test by holding it over one of your viewing eyepieces and seeing how it goes.

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi Joe,
in these cheap zoom lenses often plastic lenses are used that have imperfections due to the method they are cast. This doesn't show in normal use or on the microscope with low power objectives, but it can show quite a bit with high power objectives: https://www.klaus-henkel.de/coolpix-artefact-report.pdf
When you try to capture an image from your 100:1 oil immersion objective you will see whether there is a problem or not.

Bob

Highplains_Sailor

#4 Post by Highplains_Sailor » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:04 am

Thanks. My current camera is a PupilCam from Ken-A-Vision (I got it around 2005 I think). Its 2 MP and connects to my PC via USB (as many cameras do). I was just curious to see if my Casio, being a 9.1 MP, would make better videos.

When I do get a new microscope I've been thinking about getting a new video camera. The PupilCam videos are fine as far as I'm concerned, BUT I've noticed that sometimes I see these 'bands' (vertical and horizontal) which tend to be more pronounced as brightness increases. If I remember correctly (and I probably don't)The Ken-A-Vision rep said that is caused by fluorescent light. The replacement bulb I have for my old Wolfe microscope is a Hosobuchi 110 / 120v 20w bulb, round with a reflective coating on one side. I think that Halogen bulbs have two long prongs on the bottom which this one doesn't. The 'bands' aren't a huge distraction and don't really detract from viewing the video, but if I'm going to be getting a new 'scope and all, might as well upgrade to a better camera too. I will check with Ken-A-Vision about this to make sure what kind of lighting is causing the banding. I've read that other things can cause it as well.

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:55 am

Given your budget for up to $2000 or so for a new camera, consider something like a Nikon D750 body (as a starting point) or another full frame DSLR. There's lots of old microscopy gear meant for 35mm film cameras (good & cheap) and all that usually works fine with a full frame DSLR.

Today's DSLR cameras will make great movies as well as still pictures.

This site has lots of information and comparisons (which you should take as approximations):https://www.lmscope.com/en/camera_for_m ... on_en.html The company's adapters tend to be pricey, so you can often make do with something the OEM originally used for film cameras.

Don't forget a cell phone camera with a cheap holder (dozens of choices) to keep it steady above a trinocular port or a regular eyepiece. These small lenses are surprisingly good to downright excellent for microscope use. The big problem is holding one just right to get the image -- and that problem is solved by holding the phone in a rig that attaches to the microscope. Amazon or Ebay will have dozens of choices, some of them noted on this site.

Your 2mp camera is likely fine for showing slides through a laptop or projector -- and even sharing videos. But if you want to take awesome pictures or movies, it makes sense to consider an upgrade once you've decided on a scope and figured out how important picture and movie taking is to you.

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:14 pm

The bands are from the 60hz ac current interacting with your camera's sampling. Not really something wrong with your camera per se. You can see the same with a cell phone camera and a halogen lamp.