Stitching from video-scan - hand section mount

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
mrsonchus

Stitching from video-scan - hand section mount

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:09 pm

Hi all, just been hand-sectioning a forsythia shrub's soft new shoots at the nodes to see if they'll make a nice permanent slide.
I stained the hand-cut sections with a little safranin then mounted in water on slide with coverslip, to give a usable slide for viewing....

For records I routinely scan such mounts with my camera atop the trinocular port of my 'scope, then put the video into MS-ICE (which is able to produce stitched images from video) to produce a full-section image from the 4x objective.
Anyway I thought some may find the process interesting so I posted the video and images...

A few images,
Image stitched from video
Image stitched from video
WS_labelled forsythia stem node TS stitched from video scan.jpeg (200.51 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
Still-image of shoot-tip at higher mag
Still-image of shoot-tip at higher mag
WS_labelled forsythia axillary bud hand section safranin.jpeg (88.27 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
I also scanned a permanently-mounted and stained slide for comparison. This is a section through (transversely) a flower-head of the common lawn-weed (in the U.K) called 'Cat's ear' or Hypochaeris.radicata technically. The section is 10µ (I think) and stained with toluidine-blue stain, then mounted in 'Histomount' resin mountant with coverslip of course. I PPd this one to brighten it a bit with a little sharpening too.
The video-scan made in the same way as the one above,

The stitched-image made from this video is pretty good.
WS_labelled hypochaeris radicata flower head TS stitched from video scan.jpeg
WS_labelled hypochaeris radicata flower head TS stitched from video scan.jpeg (286.12 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
John B

75RR

Re: Stitching from video-scan - hand section mount

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:32 pm

That is pretty neat! Surprising how little overlap it requires.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:06 pm

Yes it's really rather handy! I didn't scan at a dreadfully-low rate either - very efficient process for the 'whole specimen' images with the lowest (in my case 4x) objective.
Thanks 75'.
John B

perrywespa

#4 Post by perrywespa » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:26 pm

Beautiful! I want to try this!
Perry
Insatiably curious.

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:34 am

That is way cool! I use ICE for stitching stills, had no idea it had a video input mode.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:42 am

Hi John,
thank you for showing this method! I have used MS ICE once but thought MS had stopped to support it. Apparently there is a version 2 now and things like panaorama from video are quite advanced!

Bob

KD Arvidsson

#7 Post by KD Arvidsson » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Very beautiful :D //KD
Microscope Nikon Labophot 2
Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 Camera+Euromex adapter.
Westcoast of Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsgbq ... dyl2x0Atpw

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:42 am

By the way, have you tried Toupview's rather amazing 'on the fly' stacking and stitching facilities yet? Used with c-mount Toupcam cameras not DSLRs.

Simply focus on the top or bottom end of your intended stack, click TV's stacking button - this starts the 'live' stacking - now (all the while staying in the live-view screen) a little window appears of the view as well as the main large window of the (camera's) view.
Move focus through your intended stack-range - the on-screen live-view image will stack as you go (in both large ands small windows) - at first you may not even realise what it's doing, yes-it's actually building the stacked image before your eyes as you change focus!
When you reach the 'other end' of your intended stack-range simply click the stacking button again and the stacked image built as you went will be saved as any normal capture, only it's stacked!
This is quite amazing to use and I've been using it with a stereo-zoon this morning with it's (compared to a compound 'scope) coarse focus and inferior images for the stacking facility to 'feed upon'.

Similarly with the stitching function - it actually constructs the stitched image as you (in the case of stitching not stacking of course) pan around the image - again quite simply amazing. All this for free - I truly dread to think how much other proprietary software that does this (BOTH!) costs!

If I get a chance I'll make a short demo video of this actually working.

TV has to be just about the most incredible piece of (free!) software I've seen for photomicrography....

Oh yes, here's a stitch made 'on the fly' with Toupview - Olympus BX50 phototube with PE2.5x projection eyepiece, 4x objective and 5mp Toupcam LCMOS USB2 model. No images are saved, the stitch is constructed on the screen as you scan! I cleaned-up the background a little.
WS_toupview dynamic stitch.jpeg
WS_toupview dynamic stitch.jpeg (254.95 KiB) Viewed 4308 times

This is the adapter inside which resides the PE2.5x eyepiece (projection) - the tube has focus adjustment and an internal 0.32x lens above the PE2.5x - the Toupcam screws onto the c-mount at it's top - the bottom has the olympus dovetail to connect to the BX50 trinoc's photoport. Parfocality is adustable to perfect with eyepieces.
A vitually identical setup to the adapter for my Canon DSLR, which doesn't have the 0.32x optic (but a larger sensor). The DSLR adapter I used on my Leitz Orthoplan was again virtually identical, complete with the Leitz 10x 'red-dot' projection eyepiece and the 0.32x optics - same size sensor but the 10x eyepiece needed the 0.32x optic to improve the FOV fit to sensor....
WS_olympus cmount phototube adapter.jpeg
WS_olympus cmount phototube adapter.jpeg (141.7 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
John B