Microscope and monitor sharpen?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
KD Arvidsson

Microscope and monitor sharpen?

#1 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:29 am

Is it possible to sharpen the microscope and external monitor at the same time? If someone sitting next to you wants to follow what is happening under the microscope ?? If so, how to set up the microscope and monitor? Thanks😊 //KD
Microscope Nikon Labophot 2
Panasonic GH4 and HY-2307 Camera+Euromex adapter.
Westcoast of Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjsgbq ... dyl2x0Atpw

MichaelG.

Re: Microscope and monitor sharpen?

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:38 am

This is generally ‘a good thing’ ... the visual and camera images should both be in focus at the same time.

How exactly you achieve it will depend upon your camera installation.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

KD Arvidsson

#3 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 am

Thanks for answer Michael! I have tested both Panasonic GH4 an my HY-2307 camera and i can not get sharp on the same time. I use trinocular tube. I also use euromex-adapter for GH4. And i have tested both HDMI directly to the monitor and also USB to the laptop. :D //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

KD Arvidsson

#4 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:32 am

KD Arvidsson wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 am
Thanks for answer Michael! I have tested both Panasonic GH4 an my HY-2307 camera and i can not get sharp on the same time. I use trinocular tube. I also use euromex-adapter for GH4. And i have tested both HDMI directly to the monitor and also USB to the laptop. :D //KD
Hmm i have read a lot now and maybe i have a parfocal issue :roll: //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

Zuul

#5 Post by Zuul » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:42 pm

KD Arvidsson wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:32 am
KD Arvidsson wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 am
Hmm i have read a lot now and maybe i have a parfocal issue :roll: //KD
That is correct. It should be solvable, but the steps will depend on the adapter you are using. Post a picture of your set-up and you will get advice on what to do.

KD Arvidsson

#6 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:06 pm

Kamera 2.jpg
Kamera 2.jpg (62.52 KiB) Viewed 10109 times
Kamera 1.jpg
Kamera 1.jpg (53.06 KiB) Viewed 10109 times
Thank you Zuul! Here is my setup with GH4 and Euromex adapter and HY-2307 directly in trinocular tube. //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

Zuul

#7 Post by Zuul » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:35 pm

Focus through the eyepieces and do not touch the focus again. Does lifting the camera improve the focus or make it worse? If lifting is an improvement, you have an easy path: find the correct height and fashion a permanent spacer. If lifting makes things worse, it will be harder to fix.

KD Arvidsson

#8 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Ok Zuul Thanks for the help, I will try this tomorrow! //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

Scarodactyl

#9 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:02 pm

This isn't always the case (edit: I mean it necessarily isn't the case with every brand), but the Nikon trinocular port eyepiece slot is parfocal with the viewing eyepieces if you put a viewing eyepiece into it, so it should act just like putting these adapters into a normal eyepiece slot.

(Side-note, does that head give an erect image or a normal reversed one?)
Last edited by Scarodactyl on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KD Arvidsson

#10 Post by KD Arvidsson » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:14 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:02 pm
This isn't always the case, but the Nikon trinocular port eyepiece slot is parfocal with the viewing eyepieces if you put a viewing eyepiece into it, so it should act just like putting these adapters into a normal eyepiece slot.

(Side-note, does that head give an erect image or a normal reversed one?)
Thanks
I will test and return tomorrow! I'm a beginner as you know so I try to learn through your expertise even if it's not always easy to understand. But you are fantastic to help on this forum ... //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

KD Arvidsson

#11 Post by KD Arvidsson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 am

Now I have tried to move the camera up and down in the trinocular tube and it makes no difference. I put an eyepiece in the trinocular tube and looked then everything was reversed. But the picture from the camera showed everything in the right direction. I was wondering if I should parfocal the objectives? //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

Zuul

#12 Post by Zuul » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:43 pm

KD Arvidsson wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 am
Now I have tried to move the camera up and down in the trinocular tube and it makes no difference. I put an eyepiece in the trinocular tube and looked then everything was reversed. But the picture from the camera showed everything in the right direction. I was wondering if I should parfocal the objectives? //KD
Anything done to the objectives will effect both ocular and camera ports equally. You may be able to refocus the ocular eyepieces to match the camera. Try working with the diopter adjustment (normally on the left eyepiece) to see if you can match it to the camera.

KD Arvidsson

#13 Post by KD Arvidsson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:02 pm

Zuul wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:43 pm
KD Arvidsson wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 am
Anything done to the objectives will effect both ocular and camera ports equally. You may be able to refocus the ocular eyepieces to match the camera. Try working with the diopter adjustment (normally on the left eyepiece) to see if you can match it to the camera.
Hmm but I have no diopter adjustments on the eyepiece, i have thought it's a little strange? But I still have sharpness through the eyepiece! I'm used to diopter settings because I'm a bird watcher and wildlifefilmmaker. But how it works on microscope??? //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

Zuul

#14 Post by Zuul » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:10 pm

KD Arvidsson wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:02 pm
Hmm but I have no diopter adjustments on the eyepiece, i have thought it's a little strange? But I still have sharpness through the eyepiece! I'm used to diopter settings because I'm a bird watcher and wildlifefilmmaker. But how it works on microscope??? //KD
It is exactly like setting up binoculars. Focus viewing through the fixed eyepiece and than tweak the diopter for sharpness in the other eye. Your microscope doesn't have diopter adjustment on either eye? That is very unusual.

Trying focusing the camera image and without touching focus again lifting the ocular eyepiece. Better? Worse?
(The position of the eyepiece is what is adjusted when you alter the diopter setting.)

KD Arvidsson

#15 Post by KD Arvidsson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:27 pm

Zuul wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:10 pm
KD Arvidsson wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:02 pm
It is exactly like setting up binoculars. Focus viewing through the fixed eyepiece and than tweak the diopter for sharpness in the other eye. Your microscope doesn't have diopter adjustment on either eye? That is very unusual.

Trying focusing the camera image and without touching focus again lifting the ocular eyepiece. Better? Worse?
(The position of the eyepiece is what is adjusted when you alter the diopter setting.)
Thank you Zuul for you take the time and help me! I have no adjustment on either eye :shock: But i have full sharpness when i microscoping through the eyepiece :D
Westcoast of Sweden.

KD Arvidsson

#16 Post by KD Arvidsson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:45 pm

I have tried moving eyepieces in and out and there is no difference except when it is almost loose! I have no idea how its working without adjusting eyepieces but it works perfectly :shock: //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

Zuul

#17 Post by Zuul » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:41 pm

KD Arvidsson wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:45 pm
I have tried moving eyepieces in and out and there is no difference except when it is almost loose! I have no idea how its working without adjusting eyepieces but it works perfectly :shock: //KD
Refocusing when you switch between eyepieces and camera can easily make up for huge differences, so you shouldn't be surprised that both work. But to have the eyepieces and camera in focus at the same time is best not only because it's easier, but also because the optics will be working as intended both places. (better image quality)

It sounds like your camera adapter isn't well suited to the microscope, unfortunately. Ideally, the camera would move down. Lifting the eyepieces slightly would probably be OK. But moving them as far as you need to (20mm?) isn't a good solution.

I'm sorry I don't have a better suggestion for you.

KD Arvidsson

#18 Post by KD Arvidsson » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:17 pm

Ok Zuul! Thanks for all your help :D //KD
Westcoast of Sweden.

Scarodactyl

#19 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:55 pm

Do you have thr normal (23mm cfwn eyepieces) version of thsi head, or thr ultrawide (30mm cfuwn eyepieces)? The cfuw eyepieces at least have their own focusing mechanism.

KD Arvidsson

#20 Post by KD Arvidsson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:22 am

Hi Scarodactyl :D This is my eyepieces and also my trinocular head (part of!) it is a ergonomic head. //KD
Eyepieces.jpg
Eyepieces.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 9940 times
Ergonomic head.jpg
Ergonomic head.jpg (51.93 KiB) Viewed 9940 times
Westcoast of Sweden.

deBult

#21 Post by deBult » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:37 am

Not a Nikon scope user, but your eyepieces may not be original Nikon.

Example: https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... ic=38172.0

KD Arvidsson

#22 Post by KD Arvidsson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:48 am

deBult wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:37 am
Not a Nikon scope user, but your eyepieces may not be original Nikon.

Example: https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... ic=38172.0
Ok I understand! Thanks for the link, maybe i will buy other eyepieces in the future but they work verywell ... :D
Westcoast of Sweden.

Scarodactyl

#23 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Looks like an ultrawide head (and generic Chinese eyepieces). Measure those eyepieces, I bet they are 30mm in diameter. If you can find a pair of nikon cfuw eyepieces you'll enjoy the results. They're not quite as astonishingly widefield as b&l 15x uwfs but they're exceptional.
But yeah, that's the reason you don't have ocular adjustments--you're using non-focusing eyepieces on non-focusing oculars. You could also get 30mm focusable 10x/23 or 10x/24 stereo microscope eyepieces from China that shpuld be reasonably compatible with a wider FoV.
Is the image that comes out of that head upright or reversed? Sorry to ask again, but I have been thinking about finding one. Nikon put them on late finite optiphots so the chance of it being an erect image (which would be great for me) is nonzero.

KD Arvidsson

#24 Post by KD Arvidsson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:46 pm

Ok thanks scarodactyl for your tip and explanations :D I put an eyepiece in the trinocular tube and looked then everything was reversed. But the picture from the camera showed everything in the right direction. I think the picture looks upright through the oculars, if i understand you but i can look with a calibration slide tomorrow if you want? Maybe i missunderstod (Stupid beginner) //KD Thank you again :D
Westcoast of Sweden.

Scarodactyl

#25 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:15 pm

You don't need a calibration slide to test. The question is just whether the image moves the same direction that the slide moves--so if you move it to the right and away from you, if the image in the eyepieces moves in the same direction or reversed.
Reversed is typical for biological systems, but having an upright image is nice if you need to directly interact with what you're looking at (I find it very challenging to finely adjust my dual gooseneck fiber optic lights with the image reversed, my brain just doesn't like it.)

KD Arvidsson

#26 Post by KD Arvidsson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:08 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:15 pm
You don't need a calibration slide to test. The question is just whether the image moves the same direction that the slide moves--so if you move it to the right and away from you, if the image in the eyepieces moves in the same direction or reversed.
Reversed is typical for biological systems, but having an upright image is nice if you need to directly interact with what you're looking at (I find it very challenging to finely adjust my dual gooseneck fiber optic lights with the image reversed, my brain just doesn't like it.)
Aha I am soo stupid :roll: I tested tomorrow because now i have some condenser issue :|
Westcoast of Sweden.

Scarodactyl

#27 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:45 pm

Nothing stupid about that--even the language to describe it isn't standardized across or even within brands (erect/upright/nonreversed) and it's a non-issue for most normal microscopy so it doesn't get discussed much. That's why it's hard to figure out whether a particular head has the feature other than asking someone who has one.

Zuul

#28 Post by Zuul » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:32 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:45 pm
Nothing stupid about that--even the language to describe it isn't standardized across or even within brands (erect/upright/nonreversed) and it's a non-issue for most normal microscopy so it doesn't get discussed much. That's why it's hard to figure out whether a particular head has the feature other than asking someone who has one.
This is actually the first I’ve heard that any heads had a non-reversed image “as stock”. I’ve seen image reversing accessories, so I shouldn’t be surprised. Stereo scopes are always ‘right side up”, though, right?

Scarodactyl

#29 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:13 am

Modern stereos are always erect, but early ones weren't necessarily--I think there were some flipped one way but not the other. But modern metallurgical/industrial inspection compound microscopes are almost always upright by design. Infinity-corrected Nikon optiphots only had one head with a reversed image available. I wouldn't mind finding an image inverting accessory, the only ones I've found have been for medical stereo microscopes (to re-flip the image seen through the eye lens I think which the eye lens reverses).

KD Arvidsson

#30 Post by KD Arvidsson » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:57 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:45 pm
Scarodactyl yes its move in same direction on the picture and slide :D Thank you all for help and tip!
Westcoast of Sweden.