B&L Stereozoom Photography ?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
MichaelG.

Re: B&L Stereozoom Photography ?

#61 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:51 am

This patent is too clever for me to fully comprehend, but I think it may be relevant to the SZ7
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/ ... DGB988120A

Note the paragraph commencing page_2 line_114

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

einman

#62 Post by einman » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:42 am

Guys,
Not to interject into your in depth conversation but, if you are serious about using the SZ7 for photography, and even perhaps image stacking, I would suggest you obtain the research stand as pictured below. The focus mechanism is designed a "fine" focus and trust me compared to the other stands available for the SZ7 is is very fine. It is built incredibly well and can be obtained with various options. The one pictured has the slide stage. It also has the substage illumination, although not on it in the photo. The most difficult part with using the substage illumination is finding a power cord. They are hard to come by and are not an easy to find plug type.

Last edited by einman on Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

BramHuntingNematodes

#63 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:27 am

Yeah always keeping an eye for a reasonably priced r stand not even a quarter as common as an sz7 in working condition though
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Sliding Focus

#64 Post by Sliding Focus » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:12 am

hans wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:31 am
How do you feel about disassembling, at least partially, for more careful inspection/cleaning? I am not sure what is involved (have an SZ7 but have not taken it apart yet) but it may be difficult to troubleshoot further without having a look inside. Seems like there are quite a few people on here familiar with the internals that could help and I have seen manuals and exploded-view parts diagrams posted before.
I’d consider opening up the camera adapter if I were confident that I could put it back together afterward, but I don’t want to disassemble the power pod. Since I’m lucky enough to have the microscope, I’ve been using it to work from home through the pandemic, and I lent my work microscope to a colleague so that they can do the same—so taking it out of commission right now would be a problem for me. Plus, I don’t have the tools for that kind of precise work (though I could acquire some if I wanted to). But I do appreciate the idea—it could be helpful for diagnosing my issue—and I would certainly be grateful for guidance here were I willing to do that.

Sliding Focus

#65 Post by Sliding Focus » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:32 am

einman wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:42 am
Not to interject into your in depth conversation but, if you are serious about using the SZ7 for photography and even perhaps image stacking I would suggest you obtain the research stand...
BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:27 am
Yeah always keeping an eye for a reasonably priced r stand not even a quarter as common as an sz7 in working condition though
Seems like a helpful interjection to me! What would you all consider a fair price for one, if you don’t mind my asking? I’ve had a saved search for the R stand on eBay for a while, but haven't seen one turn up for anywhere near a price that I'd be willing to pay.

BramHuntingNematodes

#66 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:44 am

Not a thick enough market for anything like a "fair" price. I would pay maybe $60 for a broken one. More than $150 and more creative solutions start to become.possible. I don't think they are collectors it's as much as just a nice bit of gear to go with your good and cheap sz7
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

hans

#67 Post by hans » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:56 am

Sliding Focus wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:12 am
hans wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:31 am
How do you feel about disassembling, at least partially, for more careful inspection/cleaning? I am not sure what is involved (have an SZ7 but have not taken it apart yet) but it may be difficult to troubleshoot further without having a look inside. Seems like there are quite a few people on here familiar with the internals that could help and I have seen manuals and exploded-view parts diagrams posted before.
I’d consider opening up the camera adapter if I were confident that I could put it back together afterward, but I don’t want to disassemble the power pod. Since I’m lucky enough to have the microscope, I’ve been using it to work from home through the pandemic, and I lent my work microscope to a colleague so that they can do the same—so taking it out of commission right now would be a problem for me. Plus, I don’t have the tools for that kind of precise work (though I could acquire some if I wanted to). But I do appreciate the idea—it could be helpful for diagnosing my issue—and I would certainly be grateful for guidance here were I willing to do that.
Understandable. I hope to get around to messing more with the ones I have soon, maybe over the holidays, will keep an eye out for similar symptoms.
MichaelG. wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:51 am
This patent is too clever for me to fully comprehend, but I think it may be relevant to the SZ7
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/ ... DGB988120A
Drawing is pretty different compared to this one viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10403#p89264 covering a coaxial illuminator. I don't remember if I saw any microscope patents showing the same optics as that coaxial illuminator one, and not enough firsthand experience (yet) to say how well any of them actually match SZ7.

MichaelG.

#68 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:48 am

hans wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:56 am
Drawing is pretty different compared to this one […]

True

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'