intel NUC

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
rmb

intel NUC

#1 Post by rmb » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:36 pm

my ancient HP laptop recently expired and i replaced it with an intel NUC of much higher specs and a decent monitor. 16meg ram 10th gen i5 processor

up until then i had been using a 5meg TUCSEN is500 c mount camera which performed ok - i have nothing to compare it to.
on installation to the NUC i lost the ability to achieve the "higher" resolutions offered by the software. window reports the camer is working ok
TUCSEN have responded but are unable to offer anything other than drivers.
thinking the camera might be overpowering the usb port i bought a powered hub. no improvement.
the NUC has on chip UHD graphics but so did the HP.
The camera works ok on another more modfern laptop through both the usb2 and usb3 ports.

i am now loathe to acquire another more modern camera for fear of the same thing - so may go for a canon dslr and tether it

Does anyone have experience of the NUC? lots of text is devoted to the cameras and their attachments but little to the computing power required.

thank you

dtsh

Re: intel NUC

#2 Post by dtsh » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:51 pm

I would check to make sure it's plugged into a USB3 port, they are usually marked with "SS" or will have a blue piece inside the plug instead of the black for USB2.

It might also help to know what operating system you're running.
I have a NUC I've used for years, been a great little machine, but I don't connect a camera to it, so cannot comment in that regard.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:18 pm

I use an Intel NUC with about the same specs as yours and it is fine, running Windows 7. I use a 5MB USB eyepiece camera with no problems. Yet, it happens that power delivered by the PC to the USB's depend on the load. For example, if I connect a scanner, external HD and something else, the camera will not function. So it is OK to remove all optional devices and try the camera without them - for a start.
I believe that your camera can be recognized and controlled with either or both of the two free softwares:
1. MICAM 2.0
2. Toupview.
The frame rate is limited by the resolution, yes, but I think that it is because of the camera, not the connection.

ethicalhacker

#4 Post by ethicalhacker » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:50 pm

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to check your Windows power settings to make sure something in there isn't nerfing your system.

Windows Settings -> System -> Power & Sleep -> Additional Power Settings -> Change plan settings

rmb

#5 Post by rmb » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:37 pm

Thank you all
The NUc is the latest 10th gen i5 chip running windows 10. The camera worked ok on the old laptop under windows 10. I only have a keyboard and mouse plugged in.
All 3 usb ports are 3.1 spec.
I will try the power settings
Toupview gets good reports. It couldnt recognise the camera when i installed it.
The tucsen software runs ok - it just grinds to a halt at the not so high higher settings. Something is throttling the processing of the incoming signal
Unhappy days

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:30 am

I have the same problem with my i7 Windows 10 HP with SSD laptop. It boots and loads Windows 10 in about 4 seconds - but runs Toupview with a 5mp Toupcam at a pathetic 2-3fps.... My 32bit Linx Windows 10 tablet doubles this....
Tried just about everything, power settings included, driver loads/reloads, USB3 hub (internal) reinstallation etc - no change. Tried various legacy settings, tried the 32-bit version of Toupview - still virtually useless on the more powerful and later model Laptop....

I've resorted to one of those relatively cheap 'industrial' 4K HDMI cameras (C-mount also) of supposedly 48mp still-image for recording my dissections etc with HDMI monitor attached, recording straight to microSD card. Remote control is also handy as I now have it to hand to take snapshots/video as I work. Also no need for a computer USB link - all in-camera operation. Having said that it's really pretty bad - the video is poor-ish the stills are awful really but it is good enough for my use with a stereo 'scope.... It's just no DSLR as I use on my compound 'scope for high-quality work.

Same reasoning really that I used for the Toupcams - the convenience or truly spontaneous use during a session is a huge factor in it being given a second glance let alone kept atop my stereo 'scope's phototube.
John B