Confusion re Nikon trinocular heads (Labophot)

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
pippo1234

Confusion re Nikon trinocular heads (Labophot)

#1 Post by pippo1234 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:11 am

Hi,

I have recently acquired a fantastic Labophot 2 with phase contrast condenser. I am looking for a trinocular head to attach a full frame Canon 5D markII. I have also got a CF PL2.5x relay lens. At the moment I am able to use both with the binocular head and an appropriate adaptor.

I am a bit confused about what trinocular head and further adaptor I need to mount the camera permanently.

1. Type of head. Am I right I want a type F or type T given that I have 23.2 eyepieces? I got an offer accepted on a UW type head but seem to understand that takes 30mm eyepieces.
2. Am I right that independently from which head above, each of them has a slot for the relay lens and I just need an adaptor to mate the camera to the head tube (newhoper gets usually mentioned but if there was a UK seller -or EU (unclear after Brexit)- it would save me some money)?

Many thanks in advance,
Giulio

Scarodactyl

Re: Confusion re Nikon trinocular heads (Labophot)

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:58 pm

The F, T or UW heada will all work, thpugh you are correct that the UW head will need 30mm eyepieces.
If you end up with the t or f head I'd recommend getting the eyepieces mentioned in this thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10094
If you get the uw head I'd recommend getting the eyepieces mentioned in that thread and printing or having printed the adapter file I posted so you can use them as ultrawide eyepieces. Theya ren't quite as wide as real Nikon cfuw eyepieces but they're way cheaper and oddly seem to have slightly better color performance.

After that, all of these have a 23mm hole at the top for the pl photo eyepiece, and you then need a 42mm od adapter to mechanically adapt your camera.

pippo1234

#3 Post by pippo1234 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:22 pm

Hi Scarodactly,

many thanks!

Would these adapters work? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pieces-Mic ... SwLoZfE0wQ

And would you have a link for those chinese eyepieces? I'd guess these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WF10x-22mm-A ... 2521686410 but I'd rather be sure.

Cheers,
Giulio

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:30 am

Those look like the right eyepieces! Good deal on those.
That adapter will work but won't get you the wider field of view since the narrow stem is still attached and stopping it down.

pippo1234

#5 Post by pippo1234 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:00 am

HI,

I had missed the fact that your adapters replace the stem. Do they screw in (from the photo it's not 100% clear) or are they just pushed in? In the latter case, the adapters listed might do with a bit of blue tack. I don't have access to a 3d printer. I ended up ordering the UW head and the two adapters. I can always use the head with those and my current 23.2mm eyepieces until I figure out the rest. I am not a fan of the F-type head and T-type ones seem as rare as hen teeth.

Many thanks,
Giulio