Omax Camera with MTV-3 or Olympus Trinocular

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
houstontx

Omax Camera with MTV-3 or Olympus Trinocular

#1 Post by houstontx » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Hello all,

I am wondering if this Omax camera will this work with my olympus BH2 trinocular head with MTV-3 Adapter and C-mount. :
http://www.amazon.com/OMAX-Microscope-A ... 2661607011

What I don't understand is if mtv3/cmount already has a 0.3x reduction lens and therefore I wouldn't use the 0.5x lens that comes with the camera. It looks like I would be able to just screw on the body of this camera directly onto the C-mount.

does anyone have experience with this? OR should I go the DSLR route with live view/mirror lockup?

Thanks,

Oliver

Re: Omax Camera with MTV-3 or Olympus Trinocular

#2 Post by Oliver » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Hello,

The camera in the link (with the 0.5x reduction lens) can be inserted directly instead of an eyepiece. Try the following:
1. remove the mtv3/cmount from the BH2 trinocular head and insert a regular eyepiece instead. This should work, provided that the tube of the trinocular head has the same diameter as an eyepiece.
2. the omax with the reduction lens then can be inserted directly.

If you attach the omax camera to the cmount, then be aware that there might be optical issues, as the 0.3x lens does not bundle the light as much as the 0.5x (image looks larger, empty magnification possible).

I think that 14MP is quite much and that this is more than the resolution that the microscope might be able to deliver (I want to say that cheaper lower resolution cameras will probably also do without quality loss). Advantages of DSLRs are that they have a significantly better signal to noise ratio, better dynamic range and also allow you to capture video (the USB connector is too slow for proper video). Advantages of the microscope camera is the live view on the computer (=easy on screen focusing), no camera shake and convenience of directly storing the images on the computer (also possible with some DSLRs if the software allows it).

I am waiting for USB 3.0 microscope cameras to appear, as they would also allow for video recording of a sufficiently high frame rate.

Go for the omax if you want convenience, small size, and DSLR for video and quality. I shoot with a 3.4MP microscope camera and this is good enough for me. You might also try to get a cheap low resolution 3.0MP microscope camera for documentation work and then get the DSLR adapter to cover the rest. Be aware that DSLR adapters can be expensive and require dedicated photo projection eyepieces (NFK eyepieces for Olympus). As so often, much is a question of taste.

If you still have to buy a DSLR, get one with a swing-out screen so that you do not have to look at the screen from the top.

Check this link how I connected a DSLR to my Olympus CH40: http://www.microbehunter.com/connecting ... icroscope/

Oliver.
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

houstontx

#3 Post by houstontx » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:47 pm

Ok great thank you Oliver. I noticed the same Omax camera with USB 3 for $200 more. I guess quicker framerates are what you pay for. I think I will take your advice and just get a cheaper lower resolution camera for now and then slowly piece together a DSLR option.

Thanks,

Chris

houstontx

#4 Post by houstontx » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:32 am

Ok I got an omax 5mp and just hooked it up. I removed the MTV-3 and inserted the 0.5x reduction tube into the trinoc tube and it seems to work fine that way.

Only issue is that the pictures have scan lines on them. I tried changing to 60hz and the screen just turns white. Not sure how to remove these.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:23 am

Wondering if it might be the USB connection. Which USB does your computer have?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

houstontx

#6 Post by houstontx » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:17 pm

It has something to do with lighting. At any objective below 100x I have to dim the lamp until the lines dissapear. Maybe something to do with the frequency of the lamp interfering with camera frequency? I don't have the software in front of me but the exposure time in milliseconds has to be higher than 7 or so, the dimmer the light, the higher the ms and less lines.

The QCC

#7 Post by The QCC » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:18 pm

What is the powerline frequency in your area?
If you have a halogen light source and in the USA, the camera should be set to 60Hz.
If your light source is LED, the microscope power supply may be suspect.

My experience has been the scan lines go away with higher brightness levels.

Microbium

#8 Post by Microbium » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:27 am

I'm a doctor and I would like to do some recreational high quality digital photography.
I can't decide on a microscope set-up. These are my two ideas:

1) Getting a trinocular omax with a 5 megapixel omax microscope camera
or
2) Mounting a digital SLR camera onto the microscope.

I have the suspicion that the SLR will have richer pictures than the omax, but I am worried the SLR camera will not focus properly, or have blurred portions or some other issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also I am thinking of doing other interesting modalities if anyone has a suggestion. I plan on getting a darkfield condenser. I'm pretty sure can't afford phased contrast. Any other ideas for cool tricks.