new adapters for AO and AO/Reichert

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
apochronaut

new adapters for AO and AO/Reichert

#1 Post by apochronaut » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:47 pm

I had Rafi make up some adapters for AO a while ago. He is very fast with the design and tooling but has to send out for the anodizing. They are finally ready. One of the aspects of the AO dovetail is that it is in imperial measure....2 inch, so the closest common match 49mm is a bit skewed. Rafi's adapters are made to spec.

Due to AO 's infinity design , you can pick up the image beam, prior to it being collected in the bottom of the head and focused . This is easy to do with a teaching attachment. These adapters can be coupled to the 52mm or 46mm ( two I was using) filter thread on a 200mm prime lens( or other), used as a tube lens.

Others can be altered through a T thread to whatever you want. For those wanting a simple straightforward way of using an existing camera lens or one that can be bought for 50.00 on an AO microscope, all you need is a teaching attachment. 20,120 or 420 are recommended models due to the wattage but for many applications the 10,110 or 410 would do.

http://www.rafcamera.com/en/adapters/fo ... ?limit=all

zzffnn

Re: new adapters for AO and AO/Reichert

#2 Post by zzffnn » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:28 am

^ Thank you Apo for the referral. I have never thought about using teaching (dual view) attachment that way for camera. It makes perfect sense.

Do you know an adapter tube with female T thread at one end and 23.2 mm microscope tube on the other end (length being around 105 or 115 mm)? Or I can simply use T mount extension tube plus a T-to-microscope adapter. This will allow using a regular visual eyepiece for afocal imaging (camera w/ 60mm lens) in DIY trinocular configuration. Alternatively, I can also simply use a monocular head together with teaching attachment, without dovetail adapter (which is what I am doing now)

I don't have any AO infinity scopes. It is interesting to note that AO's older finite 160 mm (series 4) scopes use 47.06 mm dovetail, while their infinity models uses 2 inch dovetail. Nikon (model G, S and Labophot 2) uses 48.34 mm dovetail. AO4's head can fit into Nikon's dovetail, but it is not as secure and optical length is off by 10 mm (AO's head is shorter).Rafi happens to have both DT47-M42 and DT48.5-M42 for sale!

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Rafi is remarkable. I emailed him and asked if he could custom make some adapters and he had them roughed out in no time.

Would something like this work for you? http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-T2-Mount-Adap ... 2a4d5f6e92. You could lengthen it with one or two T extensions.

einman

#4 Post by einman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:19 am

apochronaut wrote:I had Rafi make up some adapters for AO a while ago. He is very fast with the design and tooling but has to send out for the anodizing. They are finally ready. One of the aspects of the AO dovetail is that it is in imperial measure....2 inch, so the closest common match 49mm is a bit skewed. Rafi's adapters are made to spec.

Due to AO 's infinity design , you can pick up the image beam, prior to it being collected in the bottom of the head and focused . This is easy to do with a teaching attachment. These adapters can be coupled to the 52mm or 46mm ( two I was using) filter thread on a 200mm prime lens( or other), used as a tube lens.

Others can be altered through a T thread to whatever you want. For those wanting a simple straightforward way of using an existing camera lens or one that can be bought for 50.00 on an AO microscope, all you need is a teaching attachment. 20,120 or 420 are recommended models due to the wattage but for many applications the 10,110 or 410 would do.

http://www.rafcamera.com/en/adapters/fo ... ?limit=all

Apo could you elaborate or show a photo. The link does not work.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Check his listings on ebay. The dovetail for the head is 2", or 50.4mm and the one for the photo tube and assorted parts in the photostar system is 1 9/16" or 39.7mm. He has several parts made up but they were made to suit my requirements, so the threads are specific to certain lenses I was using and the bayonet is for the Sony E mount. I did ask for one with a T thread, though, so that should easily be adaptable to almost anything.