Good software for Apple/Mac & microscope cam ?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
cmug

Good software for Apple/Mac & microscope cam ?

#1 Post by cmug » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:44 am

I am looking for how to get good life image on my Apple computer and take good pictures. You can buy affordable industry cameras with brands like Yizjan and Yahear etc.
I bought a Yahear as a test. But can't find a decent Mac OS application. Either I only have a viewer and can't do any settings. Or the programme has not enough tools to adjust the camera (brightness contrast and colour temperature are really essential tools). One software ImageFocusAlpha or AmScopeAmLite looks better at first glance. But has weird CPU consumption of 300% and eventually crashes the programme

I've kind of given up with affordable industry cameras. Think a mirror free SLR should be on it. But those have much higher price segment.
Is my analysis correct. Are there no affordable cameras for Apple ? Should I indeed buy a 'real camera'.

MichaelG.

Re: Good software for Apple/Mac & microscope cam ?

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:59 am

The fact that you have had no responses probably indicates that there is no easy answer
… The best Mac support I have found so far is for Moticam.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

cmug

#3 Post by cmug » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:25 pm

I think you are indeed articulating well what I was thinking.
Apple / Mac software does not have the attention of microscope camera vendors.

I tried Motic, but this sotware is only accessible if you buy piece of hardware from Motic. Well but I don't want to buy until I know that the software works well on my operating System, and the software offers enough options.

I think I will bet on software from common APS /Full frame SLR cameras . Big A brands like Nikon/Canon/Adobe do provide good software to process camera images on Mac OS system. And forget Cheap industrial cameras.

ddy5

#4 Post by ddy5 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:44 pm

It's true that going to DSLR or mirrorless cameras will significantly increase your options. For instance, Sony has free software for tethered shooting, Imaging Edge. I used it for a while with a Sony A7R4 and a Mac Mini, and it worked well. However, I like tethered capture with Capture One better. There are other alternatives as well including an updated program from Tether Tools, Smart Shooter 5, that integrates with Lightroom.

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:55 pm

cmug wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:25 pm

I tried Motic, but this sotware is only accessible if you buy piece of hardware from Motic. Well but I don't want to buy until I know that the software works well on my operating System, and the software offers enough options.
If I recall correctly, ‘Guests’ can download the ‘Images Plus’ products freely … and then test-drive them with an existing image.
That might be enough to tell you if you like the look and feel of the software.

MichaelG.
Edit: __ Sorry, it looks like I was wrong … the Mac version of Images Plus 3.1 doesn’t appear to be on the Guest list
https://www.motic.com/As_Support_Download/
Too many 'projects'

Scarodactyl

#6 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:46 pm

It might make more sense to get a cheap windows laptop as a dedicated controller.

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:55 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:46 pm
It might make more sense to get a cheap windows laptop as a dedicated controller.
Regrettably … that is probably true.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

cmug

#8 Post by cmug » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:22 am

Here I found an overview of all kinds of brands and software
https://www.lmscope.com/en/remote_contr ... ac_en.html

And this is the list of cameras that have tethering shooting option in Adobe Lightroom (at the end of the list the life view models)
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-class ... pport.html

ddy5

#9 Post by ddy5 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:11 pm

Unfortunately, that lmscope list of software is outdated (2015). For instance: The current Sony software does now have live view. The current Nikon software (NX Tether) is free.

KI4THC

#10 Post by KI4THC » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:25 pm

I really like Lightroom classic for MacOS. But....it doesn't have live-view in its tethered mode, so I use the Canon EOS utility to shoot the pictures with. The freebie Canon Digital Photo Professional is also pretty good--but you need to be using a Canon.

annissteversonfir57

#11 Post by annissteversonfir57 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:52 pm

cmug wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:44 am
I am looking for how to get good life image on my Apple computer and take good pictures. You can buy affordable industry cameras with brands like Yizjan and Yahear etc.
I bought a Yahear as a test. But can't find a decent Mac OS application. Either I only have a viewer and can't do any settings. Or the programme has not enough tools to adjust the camera (brightness contrast and colour temperature are really essential tools). One software ImageFocusAlpha or AmScopeAmLite looks better at first glance. But has weird CPU consumption of 300% and eventually crashes the programme

I've kind of given up with affordable industry cameras. Think a mirror free SLR should be on it. But those have much higher price segment. You can try ImageFocusAlpha - a good program that can help you. I can give good advice. Before buying a camera, study your software, what kind of computer you have and what programs are available for it. I read a lot about fintech solutions, found https://dashdevs.com/ for this. Software plays a very important part in this matter. You should not ignore this, otherwise you will be disappointed later.
Is my analysis correct. Are there no affordable cameras for Apple ? Should I indeed buy a 'real camera'.
Apple doesn't have much of its own software at all, which is sad.

cmug

#12 Post by cmug » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:02 pm

You can do al lot in VLC-player (light/dark , contrast etc. )
Please read this webpage
https://support.avonic.com/support/solu ... vlc-player