Amscope MD vs. MU cameras?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
cpsTN

Amscope MD vs. MU cameras?

#1 Post by cpsTN » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:09 pm

I have ordered the Amscope 5MP camera (MD500) with my SE305 Stereo scope, with the intention of using it with my M500 Monocular - both to arrive 12/29. Anyway, I ordered this camera because it was the highest reslolution for the price I was comfortable with spending. Although, both series seem to come in the same resolutions but different housings, I have not found a significant difference between the MD and MU series of cameras. Is it the chip size?
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo
...objectives: 1x, 3x
...EPs: 5x, 10x, 15x

Crater Eddie

Re: Amscope MD vs. MU cameras?

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Since nobody has spoken up...
I don't have any experience with the MD500, have the MA500 on a stereo inspection scope at work. The software that came with mine, called "ISCapture", is easy to use, but you have to fiddle with it a bit to figure it all out. Yours might come with the same software, or maybe something slightly different. They seem to have several different versions of camera software to go with the various cameras. My MU300 camera at home came with a package called simply "Amscope", which is similar to ISCapture but with different features, and I was able to download TOUPVIEW for it instead, which has somewhat better features. Unfortunately, the software for one camera will not work with the other.
After a while I had some trouble with the MA500 camera locking up, Amscope replaced it promptly.
Don't expect too much in the way of live video, USB 2 is a little slow for that. It works, but is jerky.
I don't know if any of this will prove helpful, feel free to ask questions. I look forward to your review of the camera.
CE

ETA:

Aw heck, I just now saw the date on your post. :oops:
Hopefully you have had plenty of time to play with your camera, hope you are getting some good results.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

charlie

Re: Amscope MD vs. MU cameras?

#3 Post by charlie » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:16 pm

I am less help than CE. :-)

For what it is worth, I believe 5mp is plenty and would not worry about having more. (Unless you plan a wall sized poster.)