Using a Kodak universal adapter to obtain parfocal images

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
einman

Using a Kodak universal adapter to obtain parfocal images

#1 Post by einman » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:58 am

I have tried numerous approaches to attaching a camera to my Nikon SMZ-U, most of which resulted in excellent images, but either had some vignetting and/or were not parfocal. There are many ways to approach adding a modern DSLR to an older scope. This is but one oof my approaches which eliminates vignetting while resulting in a parfocal image. The Kodak 120 universal adapter is a lens assembly designed to allow you to "focus" the subject separate from the scope. I saw it on e-bay and decided to purchase it.

It is pictured mounted on the SMZ-U below. It is mounted on the scope side using a C-mount and on the camera side it is attached to a 37-43 mm step down adapter which then mounts to the camera via a T42 adapter. This set-up aso works well with My Bausch & Lomb SZ7. I have yet to try it with the SMZ-2T. The downside is the image is reversed. To get around that I simply invert the specimen or the camera!!

billben74

Re: Using a Kodak universal adapter to obtain parfocal images

#2 Post by billben74 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for sharing.

I've got a
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 66896.html

Which just requires a canon specific T adatper and is parfocal with my Brunel Microscope sp160 chinese scope and gives nice images.
But it doubles the magnification (as in 20x objective).
This is less good as this involves empty magnification and small field of view.

On a slightly different point...more closely related to your system...

Whilst I appreciate that you want you camera system parfocal, does the kodak allow you to zoom a little if you sacrifice parfocality?

Don't you find that sometimes you just can't quite fit the subject all in? Sure, stitching is a solution but when its only small bits that are not quite in shot its frustrating.

einman

#3 Post by einman » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:41 pm

There is some "zoom" factor but not such that it creates an issue. I simply compensate by using a lower mag on the scope.

For example. To get the same size image in the camera I get at 10X through the eyepieces I have to set the zoom at 0.75X. With the Kodak adapter you get about 1.3x.

If you use only the C mount with the Kodak adapter you get some vignetting due to the size of my camera sensor. The image is not parfocal but introduces no "zoom" factor.

If you use a 38mm adapter, without the Kodak adapter, you eliminate the vignetting but it is not parfocal.
If you use the Nikon SMZ-U extension and a projector lens you eliminate vignetting, get a significant zoom factor and it is not parfocal.

Another forum member has a similar set-up and has found he gets a parfocal image by using a significantly longer adapter tube. while maintaining image size. Though I believe he may get some vignetting because his camera sensor is even larger than mine.

I dont really need a parfocal system as I tether my camera to my laptop when taking pics and focus on the laptop. Just wanted people to see there are options.

billben74

#4 Post by billben74 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:32 pm

Many thanks einman.
Options are good.
At some point I really need to get to grips with how connecting cameras really works.
But options are good, and my system is fine...for now ;)

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:37 pm

I missed this earlier, just now saw it. Do you still use this? How do you like it? Optics good? Just curious.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

billbillt

#6 Post by billbillt » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:49 pm

There is one on Ebay at this time...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-KODAK-MDS ... SwZ1lWgJ8N

BillT

Charles

#7 Post by Charles » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:48 pm

einman wrote:This set-up aso works well with My Bausch & Lomb SZ7. I have yet to try it with the SMZ-2T. The downside is the image is reversed. To get around that I simply invert the specimen or the camera!!
I am very interested in how you set this up to work with your B&L SZ7. I am trying to come up with a camera solution for the SZ7. I have two different photo ports for the SZ7 with different photo tube attachment configuration. One has threads to screw in a photo tube and the other has a couple of screws to clamp/hold a photo tube in place.

For the inverse view, all you need to do is turn the camera 180 on the photo tube.

einman

#8 Post by einman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:17 pm

I would have to re-visit this as I play around with so many options and so many scopes almost like I have microscope ADD. I have boxes of various adapters that I am always playing around with. Let me dig this back out and take a look again. I have since looked at various other ways but given the SZ7 is not my primary scope. I really need to write up these observations. Perhaps I will for Microbehunter on this one. I already have 2 rather large papers in the works.

In regards to optics I have found the best optics are always obtained by not having a lens in between the camera and the trinoc but that results in parfocal problems etc.

The optics on this adapter were very good. However- I did not pay anywhere near what the one listed on E-bay cost.