DSLR mounted on 'scope and controlled via Android tablet tether software

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
mrsonchus

DSLR mounted on 'scope and controlled via Android tablet tether software

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Sun May 15, 2016 11:27 pm

Hi all, I've just moved from my trusty Toupcam 2mp 'eyepiece camera' mounted onto my 'scope's trinocular tube and controlled with the excellent 'Toupview' software, to a much higher spec setup based on a Canon EOS 1200D DSLR - a ubiquitous and relatively inexpensive 18mp camera of decent quality for those like myself, with a rather limited budget.

The results are good!

I have in the past tried the EOS with the usual projection-eyepiece (a x2.5 Meiji which wasn't cheap!) and suitable adapter to hold the camera and eyepiece mounted onto my 'scope's trinocular tube - with very disappointing results - leading me to put away the DSLR and revert to the super but limited Toupcam 2mp...
This time I bought a 'universal adapter' (from Brunel Microscopes, who else?) with built-in x2 reduction optics to sit between the DSLR and the trinocular tube - the Meiji projection eyepiece is languishing in a drawer where it can't give me any more trouble and disappointment!

I controlled the DSLR remotely (tethered) from a Windows 7 laptop using canon's super EOS utility that is package free with the camera - very nice it is too, with good results.

However the full-blown laptop seemed a bit big and got in the way on my desk set up this way so I looked around for an alternative - and found software (purchased from Google's Play store) that is able to not only do the same job of controlling the 1200D via a tether (USB cable that is) as the Canon software, but to do this with many more control-functions for the camera and from my Android (v4.4) 10" tablet - all touchscreen controlled!

To cut a long story short here are some pictures of the setup I now use and a link to a 6-7 minute video (rather poorly shot by myself - sorry...) of the software running and being used to control my Canon and of course to take pictures through my 'scope...
The rig,
ws_canon-tether-to-scope-ri.jpg
ws_canon-tether-to-scope-ri.jpg (216 KiB) Viewed 11647 times
The adapter & mounted DSLR (Canon 1200D),
ws_DSLR-scope-adapter-with-.jpg
ws_DSLR-scope-adapter-with-.jpg (75.91 KiB) Viewed 11647 times
Camera may be used as a standalone (i.e. untethered) via it's 'live-view' capability..
ws_canon-on-scope.jpg
ws_canon-on-scope.jpg (76.12 KiB) Viewed 11647 times
The control-software running on my Andoid v4.4 tablet showing image through 'scope as 'seen' by the camera..
ws_cam-tether-software-scre.jpg
ws_cam-tether-software-scre.jpg (169.13 KiB) Viewed 11647 times
Here's my rather poorly-shot video of the software and tablet controlling the DSLR for photomicrography! Touch-screen control of the Canon EOS 1200D mounted on a microscope with 18mp to play with! :D

This setup runs & performs perfectly and extra-fine-focus is easily achieved as the 'scope and camera are par-focal - after I added a 'spacer' to raise the camera about 6mm above it's default position atop the trinocular tube. I simply put a metal clip onto the end of the tube to add a little height to the camera's position - worked perfectly. The software has the ability to magnify the image live and this is superb for the very fine focus needed for stacking etc as well as sharp single photomicrographs.

The Android EOS Control app costs about £5 - and works perfectly for my rig! :D
John B

zzffnn

Re: DSLR mounted on 'scope and controlled via Android tablet tether software

#2 Post by zzffnn » Mon May 16, 2016 12:09 am

Congratulations, John B. I know you have been brewing something great.

I like your work. So well documented! The Canon Android app works really well on a tablet.

Isn't your camera sensor APS-C sized? I guess 1.6x adapter lens is not common? With 2x lens, corners of visual field may not be present on camera sensor?

Please let us know when your slide catalog / web page is ready. I know a microscopist over at the other forum who may be interested in it.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Mon May 16, 2016 12:56 am

zzffnn wrote:Congratulations, John B. I know you have been brewing something great.

I like your work. So well documented!

Isn't your camera sensor APS-C sized? I guess 1.6x adapter lens is not common? With 2x lens, corners of visual field may not be present on camera sensor?

Please let us know when your slide catalog / web page is ready. I know a microscopist over at the other forum who may be interested in it.
Hi zz', good to hear from you old chap. Pleased you like the rig - the discovery of the Android software was the icing-on-the-cake for me here... The Canon is giving me so much more resolution that I'm finally able to take images that show somewhere near to the details resolved by the objectives - even x4 pictures are able to be 'zoomed into' whilst still giving amazing detail - it's been a revelation to me that the x4 for example resolves so much fine detail that is only really visible if magnified, quite amazing really.

Here's a x4 objective image taken with the Canon and the tablet-tether showing details caught and still visible when image is highly cropped - it gets even better with higher objectives but this is all I've had a chance to do as I've been working on a brand-new 'quick & gentle' protocol and these still-in-the-wax sections are hot off the Mighty Shandon from this protocol, which seems to have been extremely successful - the Lupin leaf(let) and petioles are very fibrous and tough but have sectioned very cleanly indeed! A very busy time for me at the moment!

A x4 objective image with the 1200D at 18mp,
ws_x4-leaf-TS-details.jpg
ws_x4-leaf-TS-details.jpg (255.6 KiB) Viewed 11635 times
Another, at x20 I think, the lignified vessel-walls have been processed very nicely by the new protocol - I'll post the full protocol in it's own thread hopefully tomorrow...
ws_lupin-petiole-vasculatur.jpg
ws_lupin-petiole-vasculatur.jpg (124.66 KiB) Viewed 11635 times
This is a major improvement for me on the imaging side thank goodness, no more 'lost detail' in my images! (or at least a lot less.... :) )

Any idea what your fellow may be interested in for slides? I'm very busy and have dozens of slides but haven't had a chance to put together a catalogue - I really must get this done even in a basic format to start with.

Oh - I now formulate and mix my own fixatives too and they are working really well also - plus I can make my own FAA for approx 7% of the cost per Liter to buy ready-made - and I'm able to mix specialized formulations for different tissue-types to suit! Having a great time. :D

I'll post the 'Lupin adventure' soon, and maybe more detail re the Andoid tether rig if anyone is interested. :D

Thanks again zz' for your interest and feedback. :)
John B

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Mon May 16, 2016 1:19 am

Indeed, John B.

Your 2mp camera was limiting your image quality, significantly. Your slides deserve better recording. I saw the difference with my 12mp camera.

I don't know what specific topics that microscopist likes. We were discussing optics, he mentioned that he likes to view plant histology slides with immersion objectives (down to Leitz 20x 0.75 oil, which is not a commonly used objective). At the time, you were not selling your slides yet, so I did not pay attention.

I suggest just giving one line description for each of your general themes. Add 1-2 photos for each if you have time. Then list them in one single forum thread for future reference.

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Mon May 16, 2016 1:32 am

zzffnn wrote:Indeed, John B.

Your 2mp camera was limiting your image quality, significantly. Your slides deserve better recording. I saw the difference with my 12mp camera.

I don't know what specific topics that microscopist likes. We were discussing optics, he mentioned that he likes to view plant histology slides with immersion objectives (down to Leitz 20x 0.75 oil, which is not a commonly used objective). At the time, you were not selling your slides yet, so I did not pay attention.

I suggest just giving one line description for each of your general themes. Add 1-2 photos for each if you have time. Then list them in one single forum thread for future reference.
Thanks zz' - I'll get a list started along those lines in the next day or two - it's about time I made the time to do this - after all the pennies come in handy for my supplies! :) It's always great to receive support such as yours zz' - many thanks. :)

I'll be in touch soon old chap. :)
John B

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Mon May 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Congratulations mrsonchus

Nice looking camera!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

rnabholz

#7 Post by rnabholz » Mon May 16, 2016 2:25 pm

Hey John,

Great information. I am relatively new to the DSLR process too, and you are certainly correct about the space demands of the laptop! This looks like a great alternative.

I am off to the Google Play store for a download. Thanks again.

Can you provide the name of the specific app, or better yet a link please?

Rod
Last edited by rnabholz on Mon May 16, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crater Eddie

#8 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon May 16, 2016 2:34 pm

Now that is a slick setup! I have looked at similar camera adapters available in the US, but shied away due to some poor reviews. Looks like yours is giving you some superb images.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Tue May 17, 2016 12:30 am

rnabholz wrote:Hey John,

Great information. I am relatively new to the DSLR process too, and you are certainly correct about the space demands of the laptop! This looks like a great alternative.

I am off to the Google Play store for a download. Thanks again.

Can you provide the name of the specific app, or better yet a link please?

Rod
Oops - sorry Rod, just realised you asked for the app details, here's the link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ller&hl=en

Good luck! :)
John B

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Tue May 17, 2016 12:32 am

75RR wrote:Congratulations mrsonchus

Nice looking camera!
Thanks 75' - looking good so far! :D I felt a little guilty as I placed my old 2mp Toupcam into a comfy box - I thnk I heard it weeping..... :cry:
:)
John B

mrsonchus

#11 Post by mrsonchus » Tue May 17, 2016 12:37 am

Crater Eddie wrote:Now that is a slick setup! I have looked at similar camera adapters available in the US, but shied away due to some poor reviews. Looks like yours is giving you some superb images.
CE
Hi Eddie - yes it's so hard to tell - always a risk! Luckily Brunel gave me this one on a try-it first basis - and I love it! It's 'their' so-called 'universal DSLR adapter' I think. Go get one Eddie - you know you must - parfocality with my 'scope was simple achieved with the addition of a little 5-6mm spacer to slightly raise the rig slightly in the tube - worked perfectly fist time - I used a little 'jubilee-clip' that cost about £0.05! I'm very pleased with the results - they get better with every shot! Luxury! :D :D
John B

Culicoides

#12 Post by Culicoides » Tue May 17, 2016 10:20 am

John: Like you, I have a Brunel adapter, in my case coupled to a Sony nex3. I am considering changing to a Canon Eos, as I have no remote control on the Sony (among other disadvantages).
Would you tell me what adapter you used to couple your Brunel adapter to the Canon, please; many thanks.
Your superb sections of the lupin leaf had me eyeing the plants in the garden - but maybe I will stick with my insects and wait until you have posted a list of slides to sell!
Best wishes, John

mrsonchus

#13 Post by mrsonchus » Wed May 18, 2016 12:15 am

Culicoides wrote:John: Like you, I have a Brunel adapter, in my case coupled to a Sony nex3. I am considering changing to a Canon Eos, as I have no remote control on the Sony (among other disadvantages).
Would you tell me what adapter you used to couple your Brunel adapter to the Canon, please; many thanks.
Your superb sections of the lupin leaf had me eyeing the plants in the garden - but maybe I will stick with my insects and wait until you have posted a list of slides to sell!
Best wishes, John
Hi Culicoides - sorry I haven't had the time to take and post some pictures this evening of the mount and it's parts, I'll post it here for you tomorrow though - it works perfectly - a 'T2' adapter between the Canon body and the adapter, the adapter itself with it's integral x2 optics, the 'other-end' adapter that gives the tube that fits into a std 23mm eye-tube such as on most 'scopes (my 'scope's trinocular also has the 23mm tube into which the above fits snugly) and you're off - of course you can then drive the Canon via a USB cable and it's 'liveview' capability from a laptop, or better-still from an Android tablet - touch-screen and loads of desk-space!

Back to you soon with some clear details that will show you the pieces up-close. :D
John B

Culicoides

#14 Post by Culicoides » Wed May 18, 2016 1:15 pm

John, many thanks for the info about the canon to Brunel adapter; much appreciated. John.

rnabholz

#15 Post by rnabholz » Fri May 20, 2016 2:37 am

Hey John ,

I picked up the software and have used it a couple evenings now and really like it.

I am using a Nexus 10 tablet, and it is working just great. The improvement in sharpness over my older laptop screen is remarkable. Fine focus is fantastic. Having the screen so close helps even more.

The control of the camera is comprehensive and flawless. The shutter release is a feather touch, it is so light that the tablet can rest in the bench with no danger that triggering the shutter will introduce vibration.

My only issue is that except for the histogram, it does not report the expected exposure at current settings, you have to refer to the camera top display. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to see it on the tablet screen.

Thanks for turning me on to it. I prefer it strongly over the laptop and find it really speeds things up for me.

Here is my set up.
IMG_20160519_204036-800x594.jpg
IMG_20160519_204036-800x594.jpg (99.55 KiB) Viewed 11518 times
IMG_20160519_204058-800x594.jpg
IMG_20160519_204058-800x594.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 11518 times
IMG_20160519_204142-600x800.jpg
IMG_20160519_204142-600x800.jpg (105.36 KiB) Viewed 11518 times

mrsonchus

#16 Post by mrsonchus » Fri May 20, 2016 4:46 am

Haha! Nicely done Rod! It's a gem to use isn't it - so much faster and more responsive, without the clutter and wrist-strain too! I can see this setup catching on! :D
John B

Crater Eddie

#17 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri May 20, 2016 7:39 pm

John, I seem to remember when you were using this same camera before, you were having camera induced vibration issues at medium to high magnification. Have you solved this, or are you just using lower mag levels?
Or did I miss something somewhere?
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

mrsonchus

#18 Post by mrsonchus » Fri May 20, 2016 11:06 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:John, I seem to remember when you were using this same camera before, you were having camera induced vibration issues at medium to high magnification. Have you solved this, or are you just using lower mag levels?
Or did I miss something somewhere?
CE
Hi Eddie old chap :) .
Yes, the first time I tried this with the Canon (EOS1200D) I simply couldn't get good results at all - very frustrating and caused me to return to the trusty Toupcam 2mp - a super little camera that has been an absolute pleasure to use.
I remember looking through the 'scope as I took a picture (although this Camera is actually a brand-new one.... :oops: ) and seeing the most hideous vibrations as the picture was taken! I'm still traumatized by it! :(

That set-up included the use of an adapter that fitted around the outside of my 'scope's trinoc (23mm eyepiece-sized) tube in order to have room inside the (adapter) fitting to house the Meiji x2.5 'projection' eyepiece I was also using at the time - the one that had, from 'new', dust all over the inside of the optics bizzarely, and needed to be replaced. The adapter was very 'wonky indeed but I soon improved things with some 'shims' of paper...

I never achieved a clear, well-exposed picture with this system - and I rather suspect the primary reason for this was my lack of knowledge/expertise at that time, leading also (among other factors) to the deal-braking vibrations.
I'm certainly no stranger to photography and started processing my own pictures about 40 years ago 'the old-fashioned wet tray and red-light' way - photographing birds in fact! Dripping negatives swinging about above the bath etc!

BUT - I think I made an almighty mess of my first attempts at photo-micrography.... and then scurried feebly away whimpering to my lovely little Toupcam and the superb Toupview software.

This time I approached the problem with renewed vigour, much increased knowledge and expertise, and a definite purpose in mind. This together with the superior slides I'm now able to produce has been a big help and things have gone very well indeed.
A significant factor also seems to be my use of Brunel's 'universal' adapter with it's integral x2 optics - no need to enclose and employ the Meiji - and the fitting, very significantly I suspect, is an internal one in the manner of 'eyepiece drop-in' cameras such as the Toupcam. The fitting now is solid and stable thank goodness. I've also learned much re use of the Canon tethering software, although now of course I've swapped to the Android app that is working beautifully for me.

I put my original debacle down to Human-error personally - my Human-error/s :oops: 'twas not the easiest of explanations to relate to my Darling Wife, even after she told me to "go and get another Canon and have another go" (what a superb Woman my Wife is! :D ).... So that's my theory - I was the main problem last time! :( :oops:
John B

gekko

#19 Post by gekko » Fri May 20, 2016 11:18 pm

For what it's worth, with static objects where one can choose one's light intensity and shutter speed, if shutter-induced vibrations rear their ugly head, one work around is to use very high or very low shutter speeds (for example, use high light intensity and shutter speeds of, say, 1/500 s or higher, or, alternatively, low light intensity and shutter speeds > 1 s).

Crater Eddie

#20 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat May 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks very much for that John. What it boils down to, is you attribute much of the improvement to increased rigidity of the coupling system system, and your much increased expertise. That makes perfect sense to me. No one can argue with the results so far. I am anxious to see more of your wonderful images.
Gekko makes some good points as well, food for thought.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

mrsonchus

#21 Post by mrsonchus » Sat May 21, 2016 2:11 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:Thanks very much for that John. What it boils down to, is you attribute much of the improvement to increased rigidity of the coupling system system, and your much increased expertise. That makes perfect sense to me. No one can argue with the results so far. I am anxious to see more of your wonderful images.
Gekko makes some good points as well, food for thought.
CE
That's about it really Eddie - we learn as we go! I must however say that the 2mp Toupcam/Toupview combination is a real winner capable of very good results, but simply can't compete with a DSLR for mp or dynamic-range.

The two factors that have really been the 'icing on the cake' for me are 1)- the ability to simply lift the Canon out of my trinoc' tube (compound) and put it straight into one of the eyepieces of my stereo 'scope then use the 'liveview' shooting mode (i.e. the rear LCD screen rather than the TTL) to shoot directly (untethered of course) and successfully in seconds, and 2)- the ability to 'tether' the Canon to my Android tablet which not only releases a huge amount of desk-space but drastically reduces or even eliminates the RSI-type pains that occur in my wrists and forearm after prolonged use of said laptop and touch-pad (always needing to 'hover' fingers over the touchpad is to blame I suspect) and a dramatic increase in the efficiency of this part of my workflow - speed essentially - of image-capture....

So far so good, the learning-curve has many hideous quagmires to throw about, but boy is it satisfying everytime one is behind me on the adventure! Thanks for your interest Eddie old chap.
:)
John B

Gasman

#22 Post by Gasman » Sun May 29, 2016 11:55 am

Hi guys
I`ve just rigged up the same setup as John but using my Nikon D5500 dslr and using qDSLRdashboard on my Amazon fire tablet, it connects wirelessly and works brilliantly.
The same DSLRdashboard is also available for Windows BUT :shock: I would not advise using it on Windows as it completely messed up all my usb settings and needing Windows reinstalling!!! yes a right PITA so fine on Android definitely not for Windows IMHO.
regards
Steve

Gasman

#23 Post by Gasman » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Hi Guys
Further to my experimenting with dslr tether software I fear I have made a mistake condemning the Windows version of qdslrdashboard. It seems that installing this software and using it with (in my case) a Nikon dslr then qdslrdashboard requires a particular driver for the camera which when chosen stops the use of any other tether software with the camera but does work perfectly with qdslrdashboard. It seems that with my first attempts with qdslrdashboard I inadvertently chose the wrong driver to be replaced rendering all my usb ports out of action :oops: .
Have to say I am now a happy qdslrdashboard user.
regards
Steve

mrsonchus

#24 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:38 pm

Pleased you got it going Steve - thanks for the update. :)
John B