Omax camera and ToupViewX

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
curious_darling

Omax camera and ToupViewX

#1 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:58 am

Ok, so I got my camera this evening. It's an OMAX 14.0MP (A35140U) and I've installed the ToupViewX software via download. I'm on a mac and I cant install the disk that came with it.

Ok, so the software recognizes the camera, but all i see is a white screen. I don't see anything no matter what I try. I'm following all the instructions I found online. Is there some trick?

Help me. I'm so new.

mrsonchus

Re: Omax camera and ToupViewX

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:43 am

A quick check on exposure setting - set it to auto or about 120 - you may simply have an overexposed image on screen - worth a quick try.
John B

curious_darling

#3 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Tried messing with all the settings. Nothing. It literally feels like the camera isnt "On", but it is connecting with the software.

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:10 pm

Welcome c_d,

I assume this is a USB microscope camera to fit into the eyetube or phototube of a microscope and you have it inserted in your microscope and focused on a sample?

curious_darling

#5 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:18 pm

I have. I bought the microscope and camera as a kit together. I can see perfectly through the eye piece. I just don't seen anything through the camera.

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:22 pm

curious_darling wrote:I have. I bought the microscope and camera as a kit together. I can see perfectly through the eye piece. I just don't seen anything through the camera.
Ah, you may not even thogh the 'scope's focus is perfect through the eyepieces - for the camera and 'scope to both be in perfect focus at the same time 'parfocality' is required - I achieve this simply with a 5mm piece of plastic to raise my camera in it's photoport slightly. This isn't particularly important however, certainly not at your starting to use the system stage.
Try focusing the 'scope as usual then watching the ToupView screen see if you can focus on this screen, by the usual 'scope focus, regardless of the 'scope's eyepieces being in focus....
John B

Pat Thielen

#7 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:30 pm

This may be stupid... But... Is there a control to give light to the camera? On my trinocular microscope I need to pull out a bar in order to divide light from the eyepieces (the two I look through) and the camera mount. If this isn't pulled out no light will be sent to the camera. I'm not sure if that would give you a white image; I imagine it would be dark. Anyway, just a thought.
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

curious_darling

#8 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:34 pm

I have a slide that is meant for calibration and I've been trying and trying to focus on it via camera, but I literally cant see a thing. As far as light goes, there's only one light from underneath and it seems to be illuminating the slide very well. I've adjusted it back and forth to no avail. :( I wish someone could just come in person and show me, lol. It's so hard to explain without showing.

Pat Thielen

#9 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:36 pm

curious_darling wrote:I have a slide that is meant for calibration and I've been trying and trying to focus on it via camera, but I literally cant see a thing. As far as light goes, there's only one light from underneath and it seems to be illuminating the slide very well. I've adjusted it back and forth to no avail. :( I wish someone could just come in person and show me, lol. It's so hard to explain without showing.

Can you post a picture of your microscope? That may be of some help. Is it a trinocular or are you using the camera on the eyepiece?
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

curious_darling

#10 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:47 pm

Ok, here are some pics.
Attachments
JDaniellePhotography_20161106_IMG_7371.jpg
JDaniellePhotography_20161106_IMG_7371.jpg (112.58 KiB) Viewed 12654 times
JDaniellePhotography_20161106_IMG_7370.jpg
JDaniellePhotography_20161106_IMG_7370.jpg (137.86 KiB) Viewed 12654 times
JDaniellePhotography_20161106_IMG_7368.jpg
JDaniellePhotography_20161106_IMG_7368.jpg (130.69 KiB) Viewed 12654 times

Pat Thielen

#11 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:54 pm

See that knob sticking out on the right side toward the top of your microscope? Is that pulled out all the way? If not, pull it out and see if that makes a difference.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

zzffnn

#12 Post by zzffnn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Please try to do what JohnB and Pat suggested:
focus with computer screen and
change trinocular light switch.

Also
turn your scope light to maximum
Open up bottom light iris and condenser iris to widest
first try 4x objective (don't use 40x or 100x objectives)

curious_darling

#13 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:05 pm

Pat Thielen wrote:See that knob sticking out on the right side toward the top of your microscope? Is that pulled out all the way? If not, pull it out and see if that makes a difference.

I'm so sorry. I feel like I'm driving you all crazy. I'm not clear on which knob you're talking about?!

curious_darling

#14 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:06 pm

zzffnn wrote:Please try to do what JohnB and Pat suggested:
focus with computer screen and
change trinocular light switch.

Also
turn your scope light to maximum
Open up bottom light iris and condenser iris to widest
first try 4x objective (don't use 40x or 100x objectives)
I'm not sure what the trinocular light switch is. I do have the iris wide open and am using 4x.

Pat Thielen

#15 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:10 pm

curious_darling wrote:
Pat Thielen wrote:See that knob sticking out on the right side toward the top of your microscope? Is that pulled out all the way? If not, pull it out and see if that makes a difference.

I'm so sorry. I feel like I'm driving you all crazy. I'm not clear on which knob you're talking about?!
No worries. Its located on the right side of your microscope just under the eyepiece assembly. It should pull out -- This will open the camera mount and allow your camera to see the image. Hopefully that makes sense. Also, although I'm sure you've already done this, take a look at your manual. It should mention this somewhere in there.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

curious_darling

#16 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Pat Thielen wrote:
curious_darling wrote:

No worries. Its located on the right side of your microscope just under the eyepiece assembly. It should pull out -- This will open the camera mount and allow your camera to see the image. Hopefully that makes sense. Also, although I'm sure you've already done this, take a look at your manual. It should mention this somewhere in there.
Attachments
This is the only knob I see directly below the eyepiece and its the knob that secures the head piece.
This is the only knob I see directly below the eyepiece and its the knob that secures the head piece.
JDaniellePhotography_20161106_IMG_7372.jpg (129.85 KiB) Viewed 12635 times

Pat Thielen

#17 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:28 pm

Drat! I'm guessing that there is a control on the head somewhere that allow light to go to the camera. On both of my scopes they have this feature; if a camera isn't mounted then you can close that off and have more light directed to the eyepieces. Unless your microscope doesn't have this, but that would surprise me. I looked online for a manual for your microscope but I couldn't find one.

I would suggest looking for a switch or something on or around the trinocular head that would provide this functionality. Or, hopefully someone here who also has an Omax scope would be able to help out.

And, of course, I may be completely wrong.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#18 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:30 pm

Here's something -- What happens if you take the camera off the camera mount and look in? Can you see anything? Is light going up the camera mount tube? If so, then you may want to check the camera mount itself and make sure nothing is blocking it (like a piece of packing material). Just another stab in the dark...

(see what I did there?)
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

zzffnn

#19 Post by zzffnn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Please tell us the exact model number of your Omax scope (or link your purchase web page). Reading all parts of the manual and trying all controls/switches/knobs above the stage may help too.

Also is your trinocular tube (length) adjustable? If not, pull out its projective eyepiece (if any), replace it with an visual eyepiece. Then hand hold your DSLR with lens set to around 60 mm full-frame equivalent (around 36 mm lens on APSC sensor or 30mm lens on micro4/3), over that visual eyepiece. Move camera back and forth, left and right to align optics. If you can see a good image on cameras a sensor, then your USB camera (setting, ect) is at fault.

curious_darling

#20 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:39 pm

Pat Thielen wrote:Drat! I'm guessing that there is a control on the head somewhere that allow light to go to the camera. On both of my scopes they have this feature; if a camera isn't mounted then you can close that off and have more light directed to the eyepieces. Unless your microscope doesn't have this, but that would surprise me. I looked online for a manual for your microscope but I couldn't find one.

I would suggest looking for a switch or something on or around the trinocular head that would provide this functionality. Or, hopefully someone here who also has an Omax scope would be able to help out.

And, of course, I may be completely wrong.
There is no switch on the head, strangely. I'm starting to wonder if the camera is broken? I have no clue.

I also looked for a manual and cant find it. I'll be calling the company in the morning but I just have the type of personality that cant rest until I've figured something out. I am baffled by this. Thank you so much for trying to help. I really appreciate it very much. What kind people you are!

ALSO: Ok, so I just did what ZZ suggested and yes, I can see very clearly with an eye piece in the trinocular thing (sorry guys for my lack of tech speak). I think it's obviously the camera. So, I will have to wait until tomorrow to resolve with the company. This the the scope and camera I have https://www.amazon.com/OMAX-40X-2500X-T ... microscope

mrsonchus

#21 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:51 pm

Sounds like focus and/or overexposure (i.e. exposure setting within ToupView set to auto default or about 120) perhaps worth a try - The 'scope appears to have a fixed light-share ratio for camera and eyepieces - no problem with that type though, so no push/pull bar is present on the prism housing.
John B

curious_darling

#22 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:56 pm

mrsonchus wrote:Sounds like focus and/or overexposure (i.e. exposure setting within ToupView set to auto default or about 120) perhaps worth a try - The 'scope appears to have a fixed light-share ratio for camera and eyepieces - no problem with that type though, so no push/pull bar is present on the prism housing.

Should I be able to see anything via the camera even if it's not in focus? I'm not sure what I said makes sense.

If I take the camera off and have it pointed to anything, should I be able to see even the blurriest image that lets me know it's working?

zzffnn

#23 Post by zzffnn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:59 pm

The scope model (M837ZL - C140U) does not indicate user-selectable light splitting between visual vs photo tube, so there may not be such a switch.

The (straight) photo tube seems to have adjustable length of 15mm. Don't worry about it now - that is for fine tuning parfocality.

USB camera (or its setting) may be at fault. When it is in focus and has enough light, it may be able to image without scope. But you may or may not be able to focus it. Maybe take off that 0.5x reduction lens and try to focus onto something else, please.

When it is not in focus and does not have enough light, you won't see anything.

curious_darling

#24 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:04 pm

zzffnn wrote:The scope model (M837ZL - C140U) does not indicate user-selectable light splitting between visual vs photo tube, so there may not be such a switch.

The (straight) photo tube seems to have adjustable length of 15mm. Don't worry about it now - that is for fine tuning parfocality.

USB camera (or its setting) may be at fault. When it is in focus and has enough light, it may be able to image without scope. But you may or may not be able to focus it. Maybe take off that 0.5x reduction lens and try to focus onto something else, please.

When it is not in focus and does not have enough light, you won't see anything.

OK, tried that... nothing. It has to be the camera. I'm sorry guys! I guess I will have to present this to Omax tomorrow.

zzffnn

#25 Post by zzffnn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:10 pm

JohnB,

Can your USB camera focus onto a leaf or something, without scope and without reduction lens?

Very few people here have experience with microscope USB camera.

curious_darling

#26 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:11 pm

zzffnn wrote:JohnB,

Can your USB camera focus onto a leaf or something, without scope and without reduction lens?

Very few people here have experience with microscope USB camera.

Nope. The screen is blank white, no matter what.

curious_darling

#27 Post by curious_darling » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Guys, I walked away from it, and took a few deep breaths.

I just came back and reconnected everything AND NOW IT WORKS.

IM IN BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!

mrsonchus

#28 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Yesssss................... Well done! You'll find ToupView is a superb program and so easy and convenient to use - I'm very interested to see how the 14mp USB2 ToupCam works too. Keep us posted..
:)
John B

Pat Thielen

#29 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:42 pm

That is awesome! I had a feeling you'd get it working. And now we all want to see photos!

:D
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

Pat Thielen

#30 Post by Pat Thielen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:25 am

Hey there!

I'm curious if you've been able to take any photos with your microscope yet. I'd really like to see some!

:D
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810