Your opinion

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
ahpuchplayer

Your opinion

#1 Post by ahpuchplayer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:49 pm

Hello! im thinking about buying this and I wonder what you guys think is it a bad camera? its chinese ahah

5MP USB CMOS Digital Camera Microscope Electronic Free Driver

Specification
Model: USB5M
Dimension: 50mmx55mmx40.5mm
Interface: USB 2.0
Resolution: 2592 x 1944
Sensor Type: 1/2.5” true color CMOS
Pixel Size: 2.2umx2.2um
Frame Rate: @1920*1080:30fps; @2592x1944:15fps
Auto White Balance: Yes
Exposure: Manual/Auto
Image Format: JPG/BMP/PNG/GIF
Video Format: AVI
Operation System Supported: win8/win7 (32bits&64bits) Visa/XP/win7 /win10
Software: Capture Software, Free Driver

Link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 0.0.4Gig8q
OMAX M837L

JimT

Re: Your opinion

#2 Post by JimT » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:36 pm

They don't mention the sensor size and it only does JPEG's and BMP's but for $48 who knows. Have you checked out user reviews?

What does OMAX offer?

BTW, just because it is made in China doesn't mean it is not good!

At worst, a good way to get started at a low price.

JimT

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:38 pm

Hi ah' by coincidence I just received a 5mp LCMOS (a version with a bigger &slightly 'finned' body shell that's supposed to be cooler and give a slightly higher frame-rate than the std CMOS - I doubt it's true though....) bought from the supplier I always use in the UK - Brunel Microscopes, for about 3 times the price of the one from your link!

The Brunel version is a 'ToupCam' under the branding and as I've been using a 2mp 'std CMOS' version for about a year I thought I'd go up a little to the 5mp. This comes (they both do) with the superb 'ToupView' software that I often evangelize about in this forum.

These little marvels always outperform the Canon EOS 1200D DSLR that I have also been using - this is on paper a superb combination for the 'scope with suitable intermediate optics of course (as also required for the CMOS cameras) to achieve parfocality with the 'scope...

The illustrious 1200D never gives me a picture that matches what I see through the 'scope - never.... Now I'm very experience with cameras and am fully aware of and have tried the many settings etc available to both types, especially the comprehensive abilities of the DSLR (1200D) - the 1200D just doesn't seem to be able to handle brightfield photography in terms of the dynamic range or white balance of the simple little CMOS (LCMOS) cameras....

I would if I were you take the quoted frame-rate at full (5mp) resolution with a pinch-of-salt - I get about 17fps at 2mp for focusing etc (whilst of course the pictures will be taken at the full 5mp) and about 6-7 fps at the full 5mp (I use the 2mp 'live-view' as it's superbly responsive - faster than the fully-opened 2mp CMOS is, at about 9 fps at 2mp)...

Here's a quick picture of the one I just started to use a couple of hours ago,
here it's obviously mounted on the trinocular tube of my 'scope and has the focusing optics between itself and the 'scope (the part with the gold focusing-ring) that allows parfocality to be set.
5mp LCMOS fitted to 'scope trinocular port
5mp LCMOS fitted to 'scope trinocular port
ws_5mp toupcam hardware (5).jpg (212.52 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
It's a little larger & heavier (most are cast metal cases) than the 2mp UCMOS version...
2mp UCMOS vs 5mp LCMOS
2mp UCMOS vs 5mp LCMOS
ws_5mp toupcam hardware (8).jpg (155.32 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
The rather plain box,
A pretty plain box.... branded Brunel.
A pretty plain box.... branded Brunel.
ws_5mp toupcam hardware (1).jpg (134.92 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
A close-up of the labels (It's a 'ToupCam' really......),
Brunel's branding on a 'ToupCam'..
Brunel's branding on a 'ToupCam'..
ws_5mp toupcam hardware (7).jpg (49.22 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
Here's the 'ToupView' software's screen live...
On-screen 'ToupCam' with 'ToupView' capture software
On-screen 'ToupCam' with 'ToupView' capture software
ws_5mp toupcam hardware (2).jpg (212.02 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
A few pictures quickly taken this evening - please excuse their quality - I'd not properly configured the camera at this stage...

and

I really like the ease-of-use of these little cameras, and the 5mp is giving me just about enough resolution I think - and of course the ability to image as seen through the 'scope, albeit of course with less detail...
Personally - at that price I'd try it out old chap... :)
Last edited by mrsonchus on Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
John B

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:40 pm

JimT wrote:They don't mention the sensor size and it only does JPEG's and BMP's but for $48 who knows. Have you checked out user reviews?

What does OMAX offer?

BTW, just because it is made in China doesn't mean it is not good!

At worst, a good way to get started at a low price.

JimT
Exactly my own thoughts Jim - the sensor is tiny - I think it's 1/2.5 inches? The price though is superb - I'd certainly buy one to try at the price - the focusing optics aren't vital - and can easily be bought later for about £60 GBP in the UK...

I'd have a go at this one for the price - I bet they'd take it back if you didn't like it...
John B

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:43 am

Go for USB3 camera, if you want to record videos in 1080p. Better yet, go for a real camera with interchangeable lens and can connect to external flash.

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:49 am

zzffnn wrote:Go for USB3 camera, if you want to record videos in 1080p. Better yet, go for a real camera with interchangeable lens and can connect to external flash.
Hi zz' - hmmmm USB3 - yes please! :D Great for micro-video of the 'live stuff'....!

Mind you, better check the wallet's ready for USB3 old chap... :D :)
John B

Crater Eddie

#7 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 am

Ooooooh! Nice images John, I'll have to look that one up.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

ahpuchplayer

#8 Post by ahpuchplayer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:47 am

Woow thank you guys for the detailed answers I trully aprecciate! :mrgreen: Omax offers cameras that look like the one john has attached on the trino starting 0.3 to 18 mp I think but alot more expensive starting around 75$ for the 0.3 one :( about the optics you put under the cam, where did you get that? Im new with the whole camera optics and everything hehe :lol:
OMAX M837L

ahpuchplayer

#9 Post by ahpuchplayer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:50 am

If I buy the camera I will post couple of pictures so we know if its worth it after all
OMAX M837L

billbillt

#10 Post by billbillt » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:47 am

Hi John B.,

"A few pictures quickly taken this evening - please excuse their quality - I'd not properly configured the camera at this stage..."

I find all of your photos here to be your usual superior quality!..
BillT

Culicoides

#11 Post by Culicoides » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:12 pm

John B., could I ask, what exactly is the "focussing optics" bit in the photos of your set up?
Many thanks, and merry Christmas, from another John B.

mrsonchus

#12 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Culicoides wrote:John B., could I ask, what exactly is the "focussing optics" bit in the photos of your set up?
Many thanks, and merry Christmas, from another John B.
Hello there 'another John B'! :D

Here's a picture of the adapter with the focus-ring that turns to set the camera and focused 'scope parfocal. The camera goes on the top end, the 'scope on the bottom end, the gold ring turns to alter focus... Once set - never needs doing again.
brunel toupcam focusing optics.JPG
brunel toupcam focusing optics.JPG (127.75 KiB) Viewed 9196 times
From Brunel I think they're about £60 GBP but I've seen them for much higher prices under other firms' badges....

See my earlier pictures for this in-situ between the 'scope and camera my friend.
:)
John B

mrsonchus

#13 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:09 pm

billbillt wrote:Hi John B.,

"A few pictures quickly taken this evening - please excuse their quality - I'd not properly configured the camera at this stage..."

I find all of your photos here to be your usual superior quality!..
BillT
You're a good fellow Bill, thank you. :)
John B

mrsonchus

#14 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:18 pm

ahpuchplayer wrote:Woow thank you guys for the detailed answers I trully aprecciate! :mrgreen: Omax offers cameras that look like the one john has attached on the trino starting 0.3 to 18 mp I think but alot more expensive starting around 75$ for the 0.3 one :( about the optics you put under the cam, where did you get that? Im new with the whole camera optics and everything hehe :lol:
I got mine with the 2mp ToupCam as part of the package, a long while ago from e-bay - before I even knew what they were really or that Brunel Microscopes sold such things. I took a chance, got a good deal and haven't looked back!
My 1200D Canon is in a major-sulk - but I've promised to 're-task' it for macro next year instead of brightfield micrography! :D :D :)

Here's a link to the Brunel pages -> Brunel 'scope camera
Last edited by mrsonchus on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

Culicoides

#15 Post by Culicoides » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Many thanks for info about focussing . John B.

ahpuchplayer

#16 Post by ahpuchplayer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:58 am

Oooh ok I see now! I think Ill buy the camera but an adapter like yours is itcworth it or you dont really need it to make it work and just makes the quality better? Im looking at a 0.5 external objextive for cam
OMAX M837L

ahpuchplayer

#17 Post by ahpuchplayer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:00 am

The thing is I have a dslr a100 sony camera and I ordered an adapter but I dont understand how id only need that and no "objective" :S is it gonna work or I need something like john? Thank you guys for the great helpI really appreciate :)
OMAX M837L

Txiki

#18 Post by Txiki » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:39 pm

I see this post is "old"... but I am interested about it.. I have a Sony a100 camera

I was thinking about to buy this adapter, but Is it only the adapter without magnification, isn't it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-Photo ... B016AGYVUW

Is there an adapter with magnification for my camera? I didn't find anything... or I don't know search it correctly.

By the way, I have a Bresser Biolux NV microscope.

Thanks!
I'm sorry for my English... It isn't my native language! :D

My humble Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJhrW ... boDD7oyLdw