Canon Rebel T3i and C-mount adapter

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
luxikon

Canon Rebel T3i and C-mount adapter

#1 Post by luxikon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi everybody,

as I wrote in my introduction I own a trinocular Leitz Laborlux with a 1x C-mount adapter.
Does it make sense to connect a Canon Rebel T3i with my C-mount adapter without optics?
With the adapters I found, it is impossible to focus to infinity. Is it possible to focus properly via a notebook?
How much of the microscopes picture will be seen on the sensor?
Are mirrorless APS-C sensor cameras the better choice? If so which one?

Klaus

einman

Re: Canon Rebel T3i and C-mount adapter

#2 Post by einman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:10 pm

luxikon wrote:Hi everybody,

as I wrote in my introduction I own a trinocular Leitz Laborlux with a 1x C-mount adapter.
Does it make sense to connect a Canon Rebel T3i with my C-mount adapter without optics?
With the adapters I found, it is impossible to focus to infinity. Is it possible to focus properly via a notebook?
How much of the microscopes picture will be seen on the sensor?
Are mirrorless APS-C sensor cameras the better choice? If so which one?

Klaus
I have done so as I have several Leitz and have owned several Laborlux models as well. It will work but will not be parfocal. The Laborlux was not an infinity scope, rather it was a 160 TL scope. So I am not sure about your question regarding focusing to infinity.

Are you objectives "Infinity"?

btschumy

#3 Post by btschumy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:16 pm

You probably have a better chance at making the camera parfocal with the eyepieces if you use the mirrorless cameras. There is less distance from the lens mount to the chip in that case.

I have been trying to get close to parfocal on my SM-D LUX (a close relative to the Laborlux). I'm going to remove the eyepiece holder on the trinocular tube and fashion a low profile adapter that allows me to get about 44mm closer. I still don't think this will be parfocal, but it is a lot closer.

I find I get the majority of the image captured on the screen.
Bill Tschumy
Leitz SM-D LUX
AO Spencer "Cycloptic" Stereo Microscope (Series 56C)

einman

#4 Post by einman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:20 am

My Diaplan is parfocal but I utilize an FSA-GWR photo head and a Leitz Photo tube with selectable magnifications (variomat) corresponding to your choice in eyepieces. The set up is rather expensive as it also utilizes the Leitz super wide head and eyepieces 10X/25. The pieces occasionally pop up on E-bay. Here is the variomat component. eBay item number:131971981357

luxikon

#5 Post by luxikon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:21 am

Thank you for the answers and information. I think I go for the mirrorless solution.

@ einman
I've got objectives for 170 mm tube length, because I've got an old enamel Laborlux (1968).
In the meantime I read Mr. Krebs website, I did mean parfocal instead of "focus to infinity".

einman

#6 Post by einman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:13 am

luxikon wrote:Thank you for the answers and information. I think I go for the mirrorless solution.

@ einman
I've got objectives for 170 mm tube length, because I've got an old enamel Laborlux (1968).
In the meantime I read Mr. Krebs website, I did mean parfocal instead of "focus to infinity".
Hmm that explains the 170 TL objectives vs 160. I had the laborlux S. My favorite scope is currently my Diaplan.