How do you keep track of image metadata?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
btschumy

How do you keep track of image metadata?

#1 Post by btschumy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:49 pm

I've never been a terribly well organized person. However, I recognize the need for having some sort of system for recording some metadata about my images. During an imaging session, I will scan at low power, see something interesting and grab an image. Then I might move to medium power, and snap a few. Scan a bit and either go back to low power or maybe higher.

At the end of The session, when reviewing the images, I can't always remember what power was used for which image. Sometimes it is obvious if it is a well known organism who's size I know, but many times not. It is exactly with these unidentified critters that I need to know the magnification so I can get a size estimate.

There is other metadata that would also be useful. Where the sample was collected, illumination technique, which microscope (if you have several).

I tried making a spreadsheet to record this, but I get caught up in the imaging session and forget to record things.

How do you guys handle this? Do I just need to buck up and get more disciplined or is there some trick I'm not aware of?
Bill Tschumy
Leitz SM-D LUX
AO Spencer "Cycloptic" Stereo Microscope (Series 56C)

Tom Jones

Re: How do you keep track of image metadata?

#2 Post by Tom Jones » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:25 pm

Discipline. No matter what method you use, it will require discipline to succeed. :shock:

Treat your microscopy as a scientific examination, and the photography as part of a method of recording that examination. The other part, just as necessary, is consistently recording metadata. The key is consistency. Keep a lab notebook next to the microscope, and record it when you shoot, not later.

It's slow and a pain in the butt. If you want the data you need to do it.

Tom

billbillt

#3 Post by billbillt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:00 pm

btschumy wrote:I've never been a terribly well organized person. However, I recognize the need for having some sort of system for recording some metadata about my images. During an imaging session, I will scan at low power, see something interesting and grab an image. Then I might move to medium power, and snap a few. Scan a bit and either go back to low power or maybe higher.

At the end of The session, when reviewing the images, I can't always remember what power was used for which image. Sometimes it is obvious if it is a well known organism who's size I know, but many times not. It is exactly with these unidentified critters that I need to know the magnification so I can get a size estimate.

There is other metadata that would also be useful. Where the sample was collected, illumination technique, which microscope (if you have several).

I tried making a spreadsheet to record this, but I get caught up in the imaging session and forget to record things.

How do you guys handle this? Do I just need to buck up and get more disciplined or is there some trick I'm not aware of?
Sounds to me you are having so much fun, you could care less about making you hobby overly detailed and overly technical.. I sometimes feel the same way.. It is supposed to be fun not work.. You are doing it mainly for yourself, not to make a presentation.. I couldn't agree more with you, but taking an occasional note helps extend the fun..

BillT

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:02 am

I just hope you have a 'back up' collector for all your images Bill?!

When the need to share your microscopy images with others occurrs,we cheer your encounters as you share the microscopy.

I look forward to your shared microscopy as you see fit to supply with meta data or not...microscopy world views are the terrific aspect of shared microscopy (for me that is!). charlie guevara

KurtM

#5 Post by KurtM » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:25 am

The "trick" I have learned over the years is to limit myself to just one or two objectives for a session, and let the EXIF data take care of the rest. Making notes as I go along is far too tedious for me, particularly if I'm busy wrangling a bunch of live stuff.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:11 am

I get sidetracked as well ... rule number one: never assume you are going to remember, which despite all the evidence that I can't, I still do!
I do however have a note book next to the microscope in which I have created the following columns:
Image # / Objective / Optovar # / Illumination / Size / Description

Image # : as I stack just about everything it usually contains the first and last image in a sequence i.e. 01 - 07
Objective: just add the magnification number unless I have two similar ones on the nosepiece i.e. 25x
Optovar: it has 4 settings: 0 (no effect), 1.25x, 1.6x and 2x
Illumination: Pol, Phase etc ...also add if mixed techniques, variations in intensity or how they are achieved
Size: expressed as the number of reticle divisions over Objective i.e. 30/6.3x
(I have a table taped to my computer with the multiplication factor.)
Description: name if I know it or can recall it at the time, sometimes a squiggle to distinguish it from other items.
Should add more information such as colour chart number, just never got around to doing this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1130&p=7869&hilit
Finding a way to link images to notes to folder is also something I need to do.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

hkv

#7 Post by hkv » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:37 pm

This is a very interesting subject and I have the exact same problem. My workflow is that I do a couple of hours work behind the scope and switch frequently between objectives, lightning, mag. changer. Also different fluorescent cubes and combinations of filters, polarizers, etc. I normally remember most settings the same day as I do the work, but after a while it is more guess work to sort out the settings. Taking notes will not work for me. Normally, a couple of hours of scope work results in 350-400 images. Most of them are stacks that was ruined by movement. I normally capture a black image (by turning down the light) between each stack to avoid spending time during post processing to figure out where one stack starts and ends.

I still have stacks from august that I have not processed yet, so now I need to figure out what objectives I used. I also have both Plan Fluorites and APOs in most magnifications, so just looking at the size of the subjects will not help me remember if I used APOs or Fluorites.

I have been struggling with Canon EOS Utility to see if I can enter some data that will follow the images. However, there are no easy way to get data entered and written in the meta data. That would be a neat solution.

What I have considered to try now is to use voice recording. My camera can sync its clock through the GPS giving very accurate time stamps on the photos. Also, my mobile also syncs through the network giving very accurate time. I plan to use a digital voice recorder during my photo session and read out clear time indications (read from the mobile) and setting information as I progress in my work. Then I can save the MP3 file along with the photos so I, if in doubt, cam go back and listen to the time indications and settings for a particular image. I can also describe orally what I observe during the sessions.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

btschumy

#8 Post by btschumy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:44 am

Thanks for all the ideas. I guess no one has found a really good way of dealing with the problem. An ideal method would be to store it in the EXIF data, or possibly in a .xmp file of the same name. I use a tethering app called Kuuvik Capture and I've written the author to see if he could add the ability to edit the EXIF data immediately after the exposure, putting some notes in there. Still sounds like a bunch of work for each image.

Anyone else want to volunteer their way?
Bill Tschumy
Leitz SM-D LUX

KurtM

#9 Post by KurtM » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:19 am

hkv -- I just got a magnification changer, but it's still so new I hadn't thought of it complicating my metadata. Well, there went the easy life right out the window. Progress - bah!

I also record black frames to indicate start and stop of stacks, usually by simply placing outstretched fingers between illuminator field lens and condenser and tripping the shutter, or by closing the trinoc port.

btschumy -- Great thread, thanks for posting it! Surely getting everyone thinking about it can't hurt...
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

JimT

#10 Post by JimT » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:08 pm

I also record black frames to indicate start and stop of stacks,
What a great idea! Could also be done between objective switching.

Bill, what camera do you use. My DSLR records exposure times but nothing else. With a black frame and simple notes I should be able to know (not guess) the obj. used etc.

KurtM, great suggestion.

JimT

btschumy

#11 Post by btschumy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:07 am

I use a canon 650D. Yeah, the black frame is not a bad idea for marking changes in settings.

I am thinking of writing a program that monitors a directory. When a new image file appears (downloaded by your tethering app) it will automatically popup a UI to edit the EXIF data by adding notes. If it defaults to the last note, then generally you only have to hit Save and go about your business. When you change objectives or lighting, you make that notation and then the capture record the next series with minimal interaction.

I bet this could be knocked out in a couple of hours of work.
Bill Tschumy
Leitz SM-D LUX

75RR

#12 Post by 75RR » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:26 pm

I am thinking of writing a program that monitors a directory. When a new image file appears (downloaded by your tethering app) it will automatically popup a UI to edit the EXIF data by adding notes.
I can see how the idea of having the pertinent/relevant details embedded in the image is attractive.
I think that you will find however that jotting down the info at the time using a pencil and paper is not only much more
practicable but faster, and is probably necessary anyway in order to update/complete the embedded data.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

btschumy

#13 Post by btschumy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:46 pm

One nice thing about having the data embedded in the image is that if you rename the image, you can still find the data.
Bill Tschumy
Leitz SM-D LUX